Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Angenieux 2.5-3.3/35-70mm Leica R Mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Angenieux 2.5-3.3/35-70mm Leica R Mount Reply with quote

Angenieux, a french manufaturer of high quality Lenses for TV and film constructed some very nice zoom lenses for 35mm SLR.

The 2.5-3.3735-70mm lens is one of the finest zoom lenses you can find on the market for old Lenses.
Tech. details..

On 35mm F=2.5
50mm F=2.8
70mm F=3.3

11 Elements/11 groups

close focus distance on 70mm = 1m
close focus distance on 35mm = 0,46m

reproduction scale 1:5,6
Length 136mm
weight 525g
2 plastik hoods for 35 and 70 mm
Multicoating (looks typical Leica)
tolerancw of mechanical parts 1/2000 mm.
lifelong warranty

available for following mounts Canon, Nikon, Leica, Minolta und Pentax M42.

Here are some samples mostly taken with max aperture..

Portrait wide open at 70mm

nearfield and a crop ... at F=4

Low light capability.. crop at 70mm 3.5

At 35mm, F=4.0

Foreground/background at 2.8..

Outdoor at 5.6 / 35mm

Sunlight, open aperture..!

Close fokus at 50mm..

Crop from another close up pic..

Black and white samples

The Angenieux 2.5-3.3/35-70mm is my favourit lens for "daily use" on my EOS 5D FF Body. The color reendering makes me happy everyday. This lens is expensiv for an old zoom lens, but the quality of the pics reminds me on my old slides. Very nice bokeh, great color reendering in conjunction with the sharpness, this lens is my "real gem".

Its a 2 ring construction. Parfocal work is total exactly.
My sample of the lens was build in 1984 an has got the Leica R Mount in 3Cam Version to fit also for the complete R Serie.

The optical performance is excellent from edge to edge on a FF Cam.
It performs like my other Leica Lenses and often on short trips i prefer to take the Angenieux with me, instead of the Elmarit 35mm, the Cron 50mm and the Elmarit 90mm.

The Angenieux is one of the best zoom lenses i have ever seen in over 30 Years of Photographie.. Its really a LEGEND.

greetz
Hinnerker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those images look extremely good. Easy to see why you like it so much.

Am I correct in thinking this is a French made lens? - I believe that towards the end of their 'amateur' production the lenses were actually made in Japan, but you're probably much better informed than I am.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Those images look extremely good. Easy to see why you like it so much.

Am I correct in thinking this is a French made lens? - I believe that towards the end of their 'amateur' production the lenses were actually made in Japan, but you're probably much better informed than I am.

Yes, with the first part you are correct. As i wrote in the intoduction-post,
Angenieux is a french manufaturer for TV and 35mm film cams.
Often Arriflex Cams for cinema film used Angeneux lenses. Often you can see Angenieux lenses on old Movie cams like the french Beaulieu Cams.

For the 24x36 Format the build some very nice lenses, the 45-90mm zoom, that was superb lens for the Leica SLR. Also the 3.5/70-210 and this 2.5-3.3/35-70mm are superb.

As far as i know, Angenieux did not made their lenses in Japan. On the other hand, there should be a zoom lens from a japanese manufacturer, which should have use the optical formula for a 2.6/35-70.. maybe Tokina or another 3rd party manufacturer.
The Angenieux was one of the Zoom lenses with the highest F=2.5 from the old days. Today, a modern Canon Zoom actually has F=2.8 !!!

But i dont know, if Angenieux did later lens made in Japan ..
My copy was made in France...

greetz
Hinnerker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a grand piece of equipment. I had the chance to shoot with this copy. Amazing!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
This is a grand piece of equipment. I had the chance to shoot with this copy. Amazing!

Hello Carsten,
nice to meet here.. Very Happy

The Angenieux replaces for me 3 main lenses in one.
It performed as good as an Elmarit 2.8/35mm (old version, not the new one with build in hood) a Summicron 2/50mm and an Elmarit 2.8/90mm.

The edge to edge aspect on a Fullframe is better than the old Elmarit 35mm and the Summicron 50mm.

Especially in the close fokus area, the Angenieux is a very good performer.

If you count together the price for an Elmarit 2.8/35, a Summicron 2/50mm and an Elmarit 2.8/90mm, the Angenieux is a "bargain" if you can find it for a low price..

greetz
Hinnerker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hinnerker,

Your a hell of a shooter, thanks for the visual delights. Smile
Where is this zooms strength... at the wide or tele end?
all your shots look excellent.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Hinnerker,

Your a hell of a shooter, thanks for the visual delights. Smile
Where is this zooms strength... at the wide or tele end?
all your shots look excellent.

Hello Bruce,

thanks for the commandation.. Smile

In opposit to most Zoom's of the "old days", the Angenieux has no distinctiv strenghts (a lot of pro's but no con's) in the whole zoom area.

It performed well on both ends. As i did say, the Angenieux is a very good performer and replaced 3 of my Leica lenses.

Angenieux is a maker of fine lenses for film cameras, so

one further aspect for me

is to upgrade to a EOS 5D MKII in the future to use this lens for video movie too.
(i became a Grandpa of 2 grandsons)..

Normally HD Movie for me is a "NO GO" in a Cam and especially since i am playing around with manuell lenses. 80% of my shots were taken with MFlenses.
But the Angenieux's must also be very nice in conjunction with a EOS 5D MKII for this application. Especially the parfokal behavior of the lens makes it ideal for Movie applications.

Greetz
Hinnerker

Last edited by hinnerker on Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are really great results, Hinnerker. Congratulations on your acquisition.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something similar??

Click here to see on Ebay

Can it be adapted as the seller says??

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as i know... NOGO on a DSLR but maybe 4/3, because no Mount from a projector can adapted.. as i see.. in which way you want to focus?

Would not buy this one.. !! As far as i can see, there is lot of Fungus in the lens..

greetz
Hinnerker

Last edited by hinnerker on Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not comparable to the lens i share here in this thread.

I think, this is not possible and the optical quality should be poor on a
DSLR.. if you can adapt it. But i think you can't.

Greetz
Hinnerker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you,I did not think you could do much with it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
Something similar??

Can it be adapted as the seller says??

It appears to come with an entire garden-full of free fungus Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok these have appeared on oz ebay are these better??

I don't work for ebay but If I see something you all maybe interested I will post (Attila I hope that is ok with forum rules???)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I found an test article for this lens at http://homepages.caverock.net.nz/~bj/zuiko/1479470.htm

How does the numbers compare with the other MF zoom(by oly, zeiss, lecia)?

cheers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

my copy has got the no. 1480480 and is also from 1984. Did buy this with a couple of lenses in one package.

Leica R5 w.drive + grip, 24mm Elmarit, Angenieux 3.5/70-210mm, Angenieux 2.5-3.3/35-70mm, Summicron 2/50, Leica MR Telyt 8/500mm, Leica R4 and some other stuff.

How is the small Angenieux to compare with other lenses with testcharts..??

I think you cant compair this lens. Its "magic". Sharp from Corner to Corner, with great contrast and color reendering. I tested some other older Zoom lenses, and maybe the Zeiss Vario Sonnars are comparing to the Angeniuex.
A friend of mine did compair this Angenieux with a Leica Vario Elmar 35-70mm. He decided to keep the Angenieux, simply the Angenieux was a lot better.

The Angenieux 2.5-3.3/35-70mm is one of the finest lenses i did see in nearly 35 Years of Photography.
At the beginning with this lens it takes a bit of time to go familiar with this lens. 2 Rings for Zoom and focus. After some days of shooting with this lens, you will not miss the lens in your bag. The luminosity of the lens in addition with the phantastic optical performance brings images to the sensor, you cant believe it.

It brings back a bit "air" of the old slide's. On the first look, the images seemed not to be as sharp as the could be.. but if you change to a 100% View, you will be astonish. Sharp, contrasty and colorfull as you ever wanted. In the next days i will do some shots for you with the Angenieux again to show what i mean.

Greetz
Hinnerker

Last edited by hinnerker on Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

***How does the numbers compare with the other MF zoom(by oly, zeiss, lecia)?***

...and Tamron SP, always interesting to know if you can see the difference from the best lenses to 2nd or 3rd best, it could save you a lot of money.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
***How does the numbers compare with the other MF zoom(by oly, zeiss, lecia)?***

...and Tamron SP, always interesting to know if you can see the difference from the best lenses to 2nd or 3rd best, it could save you a lot of money.

but it does make one 'feels' better if the extra $$$ actually provides that extra x% performance advantage. IMHO, whether one need to use a microscope to see the improvement is beside the point:-) Now if the extra $$$ are just for 'hot air'; then it is definitely not good.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hinnerker,

how does the lens perform when it is used with a 400D or 5D? your comments are appreciated.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheve wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

but it does make one 'feels' better if the extra $$$ actually provides that extra x% performance advantage. IMHO, whether one need to use a microscope to see the improvement is beside the point:-) Now if the extra $$$ are just for 'hot air'; then it is definitely not good.

First of all:

It doesnt make me "feels" better to spent more money then necessary for top end images.
The other way around. I started with MFLenses, because i was not willing to spend tousands of Euro or USD for Canon L Lenses with only 2.8 and weights far behind that, what i was willing to pay and later on to carry in my bag. In 1975 and later i was a PRO, working for an Pressagency and did have a lot of different Leica, Nikon, Canon etc.. Systems in my hands.

After 20 Years of doing analog photography i decided to shot with DSLR.
Starting with a Canon 350D, a 400D and later upgraded to a EOS 5D, i
decided to use only high end lenses from the Analog Era.

After testing around 150 Lenses from different brands, Leica was the brand, which i was able to reach and serve me the best with and for my my money. Compared to the prices you have to pay for good Canon L lenses, the Leicas are bargains..

Angenieux Lenses i didnt know till i get the first. I did buy the set, showing some posts above and was initially searching for futher Leica Lenses. So i was very critical with this old zoom lenses. Most zoom lenses from older days are horrible to my eyes, till the day, the Angenieux's did arrive.

It takes some days to warm up with the lens handling, but after that time, the 2.5-3.3/35-70mm was my favorit under all the lenses i have with the Leica R-Mount.

And really.. compare the price of a Canon L 2.8/28-70mm, add the better
f2.5 and you know, that a price of about 500-600 Euro is a bargain for a lens, that has indeed no Autofocus, but plays in a leage far behind the Lenses you can buy today from Sigma, Tamron or someone else.
And they offer you no 2.5 !!

As i reported, its on the Level of the Leica fixed length lenses Elmarit 35, Summicron 50mm and sometimes it replaces the Elmarit 2.8/90..
What do you want more for the money? AF is not available for this old lens. But the lens itselfs works great for the money and outperforms most of the modern lenses i know and have.

Greetz
Hinnerker

Last edited by hinnerker on Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheve wrote:
hinnerker,

how does the lens perform when it is used with a 400D or 5D? your comments are appreciated.

Cheers,

As you can see in the posted images, this is the qualitiy the Angeneiux delivers. On a 400D the results are the same and better, because the
Sensor cropped the middlefield of the images. You use the lens on a 400D
at the best center point. What do you want more. Its for you like taking a Sonnar for a 6x6 cam on a EOS 5D. You use the sharpest point in the center from the lens.

The Angenieux 35-70mm is going to convert to a 2.5-3.3/56-102mm Lens.
Ideal for generell and portrait use. For the crop cam, this lens is perfect.

Greetz
Hinnerker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheve wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

Well as a film user, I can always cheat and go up to medium format.....Smile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
cheve wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

Well as a film user, I can always cheat and go up to medium format.....Smile

Thats correct, but i would not carry my old Hassi with Distagons, Planars and other stuff any longer.. or i have to simulate a dizzy spell to use my wife as a "Sherpa" for the heavyweight gear in my bag.. Very Happy

greetz
Hinnerker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hinnerk,

thanks for taking the time to comment and your insight/working knowledge with this lens. I have came across your posts over at digicamclub.de(and read it with google translation).

Cheers,

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hinnerk,

With your personal style of shooting, do you ever see yourself get rid of the Elmarit 35 and Summicron 50mm and use the 35-70 exclusively? Or there are still situations that you think the individual primes would be better?

Cheers,