Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 450/sld anyone familiar with this M42 SLR??
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Vivitar 450/sld anyone familiar with this M42 SLR?? Reply with quote

Love the lenses m42 and system but the quest for the perfect M42 SLR are still on Smile

I'm looking to maybe get a Vivitar 450/sld which seems to be quite the nice one.
But do someone know how the viewfinder is on this one??

I today own what I would guess is a rebranding of this same camera which have the name Revueflex SM302.
The look are more or less a copy and I love this camera.
But one downside is that the viewfinders microprism are not very good and can be quite hard read out in some cases.

--------------------------

Had to get me one of these to test them out.
And have now also done a little review of this camera for those that are interested.
http://www.blog.bkspicture.com/review_Vivitar_450-SLD.html

Last edited by BKSPicture on Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for me, the perfect M42 SLR is a Voigtlander Bessaflex TM. Here's mine: -

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Well, for me, the perfect M42 SLR is a Voigtlander Bessaflex TM. Here's mine: -
[/url]

True I know about that one and would problaly love that camera but it's crazy expesive Crying or Very sad
Have hade a Bessa-R with l39 and this was way way cheaper then the Bessaflex.

Plus that I love about the M42 is that you can find awesome stuff very cheap so that one goes a bit from that consept.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the best M42 camera available is the Chinon CE-II. If you can do without a split-screen focusing aid the screen is plenty bright. Somewhere between a spotmatic and fujica. It also has a ton of features the Bessaflex does not.

If you're having trouble with just the micro-prism the CE-3 is also fantastic. Little better screen. You'll lose the 1/2000th top speed though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
I'd say the best M42 camera available is the Chinon CE-II. If you can do without a split-screen focusing aid the screen is plenty bright. Somewhere between a spotmatic and fujica. It also has a ton of features the Bessaflex does not.

If you're having trouble with just the micro-prism the CE-3 is also fantastic. Little better screen. You'll lose the 1/2000th top speed though.

Thanks for the tips!
I very rairly use the split screen and often prefer micro prism only.

Do the CE-II take a mercury battery?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Works great with a normal 6V PX28. Lithium or silver oxide, as opposed to alkaline, are recommended though.

I've had about 5 of them over the years. Mechanically and electronically they are super solid. Never had an issue with anything on any of them. I found the metering to be very accurate as well. The only thing is they are prone to a little dust in the viewfinder. Not unlike most M42 cameras.

They are relatively scarce on ebay but they do come up once in a while. Check for other names it went under, like the GAF L-ES 2.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Best m42 camera in my experience is the fujica st-801, mostly because of the extremely bright viewfinder (this is a feature of lower models of the fujica line, also), but I've never had the chinon CE II, and I always read very good things about it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why an M42 SLR? You can use others like the EOS range or the Ricoh and Pentax K mount series, just stick an adapter on them.

I used an EOS 10qd for M42 lenses, the multi-segment metering is light years ahead of the old M42 cameras.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
The Best m42 camera in my experience is the fujica st-801, mostly because of the extremely bright viewfinder (this is a feature of lower models of the fujica line, also), but I've never had the chinon CE II, and I always read very good things about it.

and inexpensive price/performance ratio is one the best for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Why an M42 SLR? You can use others like the EOS range or the Ricoh and Pentax K mount series, just stick an adapter on them.

I used an EOS 10qd for M42 lenses, the multi-segment metering is light years ahead of the old M42 cameras.

+1 or Contax...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Nope. Works great with a normal 6V PX28. Lithium or silver oxide, as opposed to alkaline, are recommended though.

I've had about 5 of them over the years. Mechanically and electronically they are super solid. Never had an issue with anything on any of them. I found the metering to be very accurate as well. The only thing is they are prone to a little dust in the viewfinder. Not unlike most M42 cameras.

They are relatively scarce on ebay but they do come up once in a while. Check for other names it went under, like the GAF L-ES 2.

I will, many thanks!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:

I have the Fujica 701 which has one of the best viewfinders I have seen so far on a m42.
Think its the same on the 801 and this also don't use murcary batteries like the older one.

But I have found that the side going cloth shutter have more problem with oneven exposures then the verticle metal one and prefer the metal one.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

True but this can't be used on all m42 lenses and you can't use the aperture auto fuction.

Found that it can be tricky to find precise focus with EOS cameras even with a AF config adapter.
I always end up using the liveview on my didital EOS which works great to find focus but are not very fast.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Icarex is the best M42 camera I've ever used:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dof wrote:
My Icarex is the best M42 camera I've ever used:

Looks really nice!!
Thanks for the tip.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not impressed by the viewfinder in my Icarex 35S TM. It was small and dim. The camera is beautiful and solidly build though.

Oddly enough one of the best viewfinders I've seen in an M42 camera is in the original Praktica Nova.

Nova by berangberang, on Flickr

It is very bright even with slower lenses that dim the screens on my other cameras, and the screen is of a slightly unusual design with the fresnel extending all the way in to the center split image spot. Unfortunately the rest of the camera is not that good.

I think the best M42 SLR is probably the Miranda TM which has a very large viewfinder that is interchangeable with a WLF. But they're hard to find these days.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BKSPicture wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

True but this can't be used on all m42 lenses and you can't use the aperture auto fuction.

Found that it can be tricky to find precise focus with EOS cameras even with a AF config adapter.
I always end up using the liveview on my didital EOS which works great to find focus but are not very fast.

Auto aperture is something you really don't miss.

The EOS 10 isn't hard to focus, the digital EOS I have owned were hard to focus, but the film ones, much better.

The K mount cameras have no focus issues because they have proper focus aids and matte screens.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, my old film EOS 600 would be a good camera for M42 lenses. I shall have to get a battery for it, I think I've got an adapter. Some of the 'last of the dinosaur' cameras could be good contenders for using with M42 if a fast shutter speed is important. The EOS range, the last Minoltas, Pentax, the Olympus, all have great spec's and cheap adapters.
Off the top of my head I don't know which programs and settings of these cameras would work with a M42 lens, but I'm pretty sure you'd get bracketing and the fast fps, maybe selective metering and all that stuff?
I've certainly used a Canon A1 and AE1P with M42, but both are 1000 / sec. Getting a 2000 / sec M42 is much harder.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
BKSPicture wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Auto aperture is something you really don't miss.

The EOS 10 isn't hard to focus, the digital EOS I have owned were hard to focus, but the film ones, much better.

The K mount cameras have no focus issues because they have proper focus aids and matte screens.

I'm very familiar with the adapters and have tested PK, Nikon and EOS.
But can't say that theses are something I prefer over one with the real mount.
And yes I would miss the auto aperture in many cases.

I also have a analog EOS but have only tesed how this look via the viewfinder and have not seen any pictures from this.
Even if the focus are spot on it is still much slower to work with and these cameras are way bigger and heavier then most m42 SLRs.

I in some cases use adapters to more modern cameras when I take test pictures for my lens reviews on my blog.
But when i'm out to take shots just for fun I want the real thing and one that works as it ment.
Half the joy of using old stuff like this is that these often have great build quality and feel compared more modern once like EOS.
Ofcourse EOS are usually good plastic and still solid but compare this to camera like the Pentax Spotmatic which just looks and feel awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
I was not impressed by the viewfinder in my Icarex 35S TM. It was small and dim. The camera is beautiful and solidly build though.

Oddly enough one of the best viewfinders I've seen in an M42 camera is in the original Praktica Nova.

Nova by berangberang, on Flickr

It is very bright even with slower lenses that dim the screens on my other cameras, and the screen is of a slightly unusual design with the fresnel extending all the way in to the center split image spot. Unfortunately the rest of the camera is not that good.

I think the best M42 SLR is probably the Miranda TM which has a very large viewfinder that is interchangeable with a WLF. But they're hard to find these days.

Thats a new one Smile
Have tested sevural diffurent Praktica SLRs and none of them have hade a very impressiv viewfinder.
This have however worked great and are very reliable but have lacked much of that nice feel many M42 have.

Many thanks for the tip!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BKSPicture wrote:

Even if the focus are spot on it is still much slower to work with and these cameras are way bigger and heavier then most m42 SLRs.

How are they slower to work with? i would disagree strongly. Bigger and heavier? Again, no, definitely a lot lighter, I bet my Spotmatic weighs 3x what my EOS 10 does.

I understand you don't want an EOS, but your points are wrong. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
BKSPicture wrote:

How are they slower to work with? i would disagree strongly. Bigger and heavier? Again, no, definitely a lot lighter, I bet my Spotmatic weighs 3x what my EOS 10 does.

Some of the later M42 cameras are quite small and light, the Petri Mf-1 comes to mind... but also quite plasticky and cheap feeling. But even my rather clunky Edixa doesn't weigh noticeably more than a Canon EOS if you have both fitted with a nice lens.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
BKSPicture wrote:

Well I own a EOS 650 but for the speed of use I would say that a auto aperture is usally faster to work with then a preset one.
Take a light reading and set the shutter and aperture in forhand and then you just set the focus an snap a shot.
You can ofcorse also do that on a EOS but I bet it would not be easier to find focus when your lens is set on f/11 or something.
So you then need to set the focus and then go for the aperture.
Then for the infinity focus, I have owned three diffurent EOS to m42 adapters and non of then have hade a exact infinity focus.
So you can't just set the focus at the bottom and know that this is infinity.

Then for the focus.
I for some time used Nikon F4 with MF lenses with was spot on and worked well but I focus way faster with a camera which is acctoly made for this.
But ofcorse there might be those that can do this better then me.

Also love to se your Spotmatic which apparently almost weighs 2 kilos.
But a normal SP weight are 622g and your Eos 10 are apparently 625g without batteries.
So yes not that heavier for the one you have but still bigger and in my eyes well put togheter plastic.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
BKSPicture wrote:

Some of the later M42 cameras are quite small and light, the Petri Mf-1 comes to mind... but also quite plasticky and cheap feeling. But even my rather clunky Edixa doesn't weigh noticeably more than a Canon EOS if you have both fitted with a nice lens.

I have tested the MF-1 and I found that to be quite the nice one and not all that plasticky.
Only some plastic thing like dails but the body was still quite nice.
And it weighs 465g which is not something you usually se on a SLR that old.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you used the preset lens correctly, you'd know you don't have to focus stopped down, they have two rings, that's a clue Wink

You can't trust ANY M42 camera/lens combo to have infinity exactly where it's marked, that' far from an adapter-only issue.

I was weighing some chemicals earlier to make up a fresh batch of developer so just out of curiosity I weighed the four cameras I had on the table.

Miranda Sensorex with Miranda 1.4/50 - 1100g
Topcon RE-2 with Topcor 1.8/58 - 975g
Pentax Spotmatic with Takumar 2/55 -950g
EOS 10qd with Pancolar 1.8/50 - 825g

Anyways, you seem to have many unfortunate misconceptions, so I'll leave you to your search.