Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My Jupiter 37AM 135mm f3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: My Jupiter 37AM 135mm f3.5 Reply with quote

This morning during a walk in the old centre of the town there were a old things fair (don't know the english word). I found a man selling like new Zenit 122, Helios 44M-5, teleconverter 2x, flash, bag and Jupiter 37AM. I asked for price for the Jupiter and he said 30€. The lens looked good, no damage, working. Tested on E-PM1 and talked with the guy for some time about how to use this modern cameras with old lens. At the end I went away with 135mm f3.5 lens for just 25€. I don't know if the lens is good or average. Tried some photos in next minutes when I walked home. It is a little heavy to focus by magnification because of shaky hands, but is possible. Here are a few photos. I added a little of contrast to photos, because the light was very dull.

What do you thing? Is this a good lens? Is worth 25€?

I have to clean a lens and I will take a photo of lens itself Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see many people who rate this lens highly, but I think it is a real gem, hardly any difference in IQ to the Zeiss Sonnar but with more solid and rich colours in my opinion. And I like its small size and weight too.

25Euros is a super price - many congratulations! And I like your pictures with it David

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like a good usable lens. For 25 euro you cant go wrong...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the 37a is a superb lens very rich colours and just these few samples show how good it is one of my prefered 135 lenses

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two pictures of this Jupiter:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I went to a walk with Jupiter37AM. My thoughts for this lens are that is impossible to focus on E-PM1. Too long lens, too vibrations in hand.

Also the contrast and vibrance of the lens is more flat, compared to let's say Helios.

Raw without nothing:

Raw with some PP:

Some other photos:

The lens is probably not bad, but I have problems to focus with it on E-PM1 screen - magnification 5x-7x.... Maybe on OM-D is better with viewfinder, but don't have it.
Don't know how to focus without tripod with a higher keeper rate. A little frustrating. I have also a pentacon 200mm. That one should be even harder...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice little lens, I love my 37A. And sure wish I had an 37AM, but you can't have everything.

Congrats to a nice little lens, I guess the small camera body and smaller sensor does not help the shaking issues however.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion is that all the Tairs, Jupiters and CZJ Sonnars whether 3.5/135 or 4/135 are great lenses, I've tried quite a few and they all produced the goods.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two portraits in BW:

Katja

Laura

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bougth this lense...is very nice! sometime can be do little flare ...but is fantastic!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also own a copy, and love it! for whatever reason too many blurred pictures on my OMD (despite a properly setted IBIS, where no problems at all with the longer 180 Apo Telyt Shocked ), but lovely results on my Canon 5DIII!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

25 euros - a gift. Fine samples of what is clearly a superior lens

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like all the B&W images.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

25 Euros well spent, great pictures. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From several days a have another 135mm. It is a Porst 135mm MC f2.8. Bought from somebody who is here on mflenses forum.
Didn't have time and willing to try it, just few photos today inside the house.

This time I used a big dslr E-30 and not mini mirorless E-PM1. All I can say is that focusing was a lot easier than with E-PM1.

ISO1600 f2.8 1/30s:

Now I need to find some time and location to make some photos. Maybe some SantaClaus photos.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find your first image - especially with the bottom part cropped out to eliminate the reef - absolutely stunning. Well done!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fotoreporter1975 wrote:
I find your first image - especially with the bottom part cropped out to eliminate the reef - absolutely stunning. Well done!

Thank you and also to the others.
Praise never hurts Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because of influence, I have to play with a camera inside the house.

Jupiter wide open.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

david_b wrote:
Because of influence, I have to play with a camera inside the house.

Jupiter wide open.

Killer shot!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikonshooter wrote:

Killer shot!

Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one with Jupiter. Taken today, with some fog.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing these nice pictures with us, David!

Because of your post I was inspired and I finally bought exactly the same lens (Jupiter 37AM) for 20Euros with its hood, box, caps in excellent condition!
I really hope to test the lens next week.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickita wrote:
Thank you for sharing these nice pictures with us, David!

Because of your post I was inspired and I finally bought exactly the same lens (Jupiter 37AM) for 20Euros with its hood, box, caps in excellent condition!
I really hope to test the lens next week.

Good luck!

Very Happy
I'm happy that this was usefull. This lens is really good. At the beggining, I had some focus issue, but now with another camera with viewfinder it is easy to focus also without tripod. I'm used to autofocus Smile

Congratulation onyour purchage. I also have the complete lens with metal hood and box Very Happy

We are happy to live in a country where you can find this lenses for cheap Very Happy .

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one with some haze:

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I use manual lens on Olympus OM-D, more I love them. It is becoming every time easier to focus with them. Also 135mm is not a problem to optain correct focus. It was very difficult on DSLR E-30 or Pen E-PM1 without EVF. But with OM-D and 5x magnification and image stabilisation it is a piece of cake.