Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

adapter Minolta AF to Sony A7II
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:04 am    Post subject: adapter Minolta AF to Sony A7II Reply with quote

Hi there, I've found a cheap Apo 200mm 2.8 (a fungus and dust)Minolta and wonder if the cheap dumb af adapters would work with this lens on the FF Sony body.
I've read the expensive LA-EA4 would work ,but I'm not interested to send 200 quids only for this lens (for now). On the other side, is it easy to remove optic from this lens ? I mean if it is glued or require special tools , supposedly the fungus is on the edge front group.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fotodiox pro adapter with aperture ring.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So manual focus and aperture control would work on this manual adapter?
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
So manual focus and aperture control would work on this manual adapter?
Thanks

Yes, just make sure you get the adapter with aperture ring.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the one that looks like mamiya ze ,with the aperture ring.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:

I see the one that looks like mamiya ze ,with the aperture ring.

Yes, you need the one on the right.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until the adapter would get to me, is there any way to test the aperture working without it? Focus I assume it would be possible...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Until the adapter would get to me, is there any way to test the aperture working without it? Focus I assume it would be possible...

Both adapter will work. To test the aperture, push the aperture lever on the rear to open the aperture blades.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, when you are saying that both adapters would work , that means there's no difference in usability?
The Fotodiox pro I have for mamiya doesn't have proper reliable stop down steps , I should expect the same from both adapters?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Thank you, when you are saying that both adapters would work , that means there's no difference in usability?
The Fotodiox pro I have for mamiya doesn't have proper reliable stop down steps , I should expect the same from both adapters?

Both are correct adapter for MA->E . You can ask Fotodiox if they made the adapter with hard stop.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
kiddo wrote:

Both are correct adapter for MA->E . You can ask Fotodiox if they made the adapter with hard stop.

The adapter on the left doesn't appear to have detents/stops at all, just an open/close ring. The one on the right looks like it has stops, but who knows how accurately those will correspond to the designed stop positions?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
kiddo wrote:

The adapter on the left doesn't appear to have detents/stops at all, just an open/close ring. The one on the right looks like it has stops, but who knows how accurately those will correspond to the designed stop positions?

Well, I do 😊, they don't. Same thing with the Mamiya adapter.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other option you might consider is the LA-EA3 adapter.

The 200 APO is a very fine lens, its resale value currently held down only by the vagaries of adapting its A/Maxxum mount, so getting at least a decent adapter seems financially justified, and considering the low prices of ALL Maxxum lenses, if you have any interest in exploring the line later, why not get something a little nicer?

The LA-EA3 will leave you with manual focus, but should let you control the aperture in-body and automatically set image stabilization. They can be found used for under $100 used here in the US, and they will give you a much better experience than either of the FotoDiox adapters.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for clarifying me how to approach this lens adapting. On my place ,the LA-EA4 and 3 go for 150+ €$ so right now in not sure I really need it. I haven't used an af lens for some time now, but it would be nice ,to be honest. I'm still waiting to receive this lens,as ice git with some issues (dust and some fungus on the edge) see what would be next. I've read very positive reviews of the lens ,so 40€ was a nice try at least for now without seeing the lens properly. I don't have any reliable 180-200mm prime yet, and this apo might fit very well .

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys, I just received the adapter so I could mount the lens to the body.
I've also find out the lens it's got some issue , apart the fungus on the lens. It seems like someone have tried to open it from the front ring, and it was a bit loosen. I have tried to open it ,no way, just keeps unscrewing without coming out , I suspect threads are bad,either on the ring or the body. Once adapted , it won't reach infinity wide open, closed down it would reach almost infinity.
The idea would be to remove the retaining ring (or cut it) and if is bad, just put another one same diameter,if that would be possible. I don't care about resale value at all, just to fix it. Wide open has excellent sharpness on min focus distance, no CA în medium distance ,that's awesome.
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had issues mounting the adapter to the lens, the inner lips that put the pressure on the mount were way to open, after about 10 minutes till I've figured out, with a screwdriver I've just pressed them a bit and applying force I was able to put adapter and lens together, all tight, no wobbling.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Once adapted , it won't reach infinity wide open, closed down it would reach almost infinity.

You're aware of the built-in focus limiter of the MinAF 2.8/200mm? If set to "almost infinity", the lens will of course focus only to "almost infinity" ...!!

S

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
kiddo wrote:
Once adapted , it won't reach infinity wide open, closed down it would reach almost infinity.

You're aware of the built-in focus limiter of the MinAF 2.8/200mm? If set to "almost infinity", the lens will of course focus only to "almost infinity" ...!!

S

well, to be honest, i have had no clue on that, where should i look up for it? thanks - is there any way to change that on manual adapters?
is it the thing white ring next to the focusing ring? just like nikon 80-200mm 2.8?

Ok, I've unscrewed the silver screw and the ring doesn't go all the way to infinity, it stops on the same mark as in the picture above
Should I suspect there's something wrong inside the lens ?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:

Ok, I've unscrewed the silver screw and the ring doesn't go all the way to infinity, it stops on the same mark as in the picture above
Should I suspect there's something wrong inside the lens ?

Looking at your image, your lens goes beyond infinity (as it should), at least as far as the mark is concerned. On the MinAF 2.8/200mm, "infinity" is NOT at the "infinity" sign, but at the small bar/dash!

Which means my suggestion wasn't solving the problem. Do you have other MinAF lenses? If so, you could check whether the adapter is the problem, or the 2.8/200 lens ...

S

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replying, this is my only Minolta AF lens, I could measure the adapter to check if is right one ,if you could check the thickness of yours. I assume AF adapters and manual ones should measure the same, right?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thickness of this adapter is 31,7mm
Removing the Minolta mount ring, would allow to file pretty easy part of the thickness ,the question is how much would it be necessary?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience with these I've had light leaks through the lens release button on 2 adaptors. As I only have one AF lens I've put gaffer tape round the adaptor, sealing it off.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
In my experience with these I've had light leaks through the lens release button on 2 adaptors. As I only have one AF lens I've put gaffer tape round the adaptor, sealing it off.

Thank you for your advice, I will take care of that , could you measure your adapter thickness see if mine is appropriate or not?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
philslizzy wrote:

Thank you for your advice, I will take care of that , could you measure your adapter thickness see if mine is appropriate or not?

Mine is 26.18mm deep. It says Minolta AF to NEX on the adaptor which I'm certain is the same as Sony A to Sony E fit

hope this helps

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your adaptor looks ok I suspect the infinity thing is because someone has had the lens open. However I hope any adjustments you make are ok.

Let me clarify about my lens. I use this combo on my A6000 for photographing my lego miniatures, I never used infinity, never tried it and the lens only covers full frame after about 35mm