Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

adapter Minolta AF to Sony A7II
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
BrianSVP wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
kiddo wrote:
Thank you, when you are saying that both adapters would work , that means there's no difference in usability?
The Fotodiox pro I have for mamiya doesn't have proper reliable stop down steps , I should expect the same from both adapters?

Both are correct adapter for MA->E . You can ask Fotodiox if they made the adapter with hard stop.

The adapter on the left doesn't appear to have detents/stops at all, just an open/close ring. The one on the right looks like it has stops, but who knows how accurately those will correspond to the designed stop positions?

Well, I do 😊, they don't. Same thing with the Mamiya adapter.

Minolta A mount cameras set the aperture control pin position very accurately, with a gear reduction mechanism embedding a rotary counter.

Therefore it shouldn't come as a surprise that a third-part mount with simple click-stops and a reverse-engineered bayonet mount of lesser accuracy than Minolta's own doesn't control the aperture very accurately Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After removing a bit, can measure total thickness of adapter 30,25mm and focus will reach about 8 meters

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
After removing a bit, can measure total thickness of adapter 30,25mm and focus will reach about 8 meters

Usually, the thickness of an adapter refers to the distance between the two lens flanges.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Your adaptor looks ok I suspect the infinity thing is because someone has had the lens open. However I hope any adjustments you make are ok.

Let me clarify about my lens. I use this combo on my A6000 for photographing my lego miniatures, I never used infinity, never tried it and the lens only covers full frame after about 35mm

I haven't had this particular model apart in several years and don't have any notes on it, but a lot of these Minolta AFs have the inifinty adjustment quite easily done by peeling back the rubber focus grip.
On many, the focus ring simply has two halves that are held together with tape. Infinity is set by untaping them, moving the lower half with the scale to the infinity marker, adjusting the focus with the top half until it's correct, then taping them back together.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
kiddo wrote:

Usually, the thickness of an adapter refers to the distance between the two lens flanges.

Thank you, I have had no clue about that. Right now, it measures 24,9mm .

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:
philslizzy wrote:
Your adaptor looks ok I suspect the infinity thing is because someone has had the lens open. However I hope any adjustments you make are ok.

Let me clarify about my lens. I use this combo on my A6000 for photographing my lego miniatures, I never used infinity, never tried it and the lens only covers full frame after about 35mm

I haven't had this particular model apart in several years and don't have any notes on it, but a lot of these Minolta AFs have the inifinty adjustment quite easily done by peeling back the rubber focus grip.
On many, the focus ring simply has two halves that are held together with tape. Infinity is set by untaping them, moving the lower half with the scale to the infinity marker, adjusting the focus with the top half until it's correct, then taping them back together.

That would be cool if that would be possible without opening the lens.
This particular lens, has an issue with the front ring that holds the front element (the one with the name engraved on it). I have tried to unscrew it and it turns very hard an only a little bit , together with the front element, but doesn't seem like wanting to unscrew. I am not sure why do they unscrew together.
Some inner element has a bit of fungus on the edge and normal dust,that's why I have tried to open it.
It would be cool to be able to adjust infinity from outside, let's see if someone else can confirm this, as the rubber grip is in a tight place ,surounded by the rings , I am not sure this would be possible in this case.