Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sunset stroll with Konica Hexanon 2.8/24 on Samsung NX100
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Sunset stroll with Konica Hexanon 2.8/24 on Samsung NX100 Reply with quote

I took a nice walk late afternoon/early evening, the light was not very bright but had a lovely sunset warmth.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed many of them good one really!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see why you like the Konicas Wink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, but why are the BG cities blurry (#4, 7)?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure, I would say camera shake as I discarded half the shots due to that - the light was pretty low, but you can see in #4 that there is a dead branch in the foreground that is rendered very sharply. #7 is soft everywhere, so that one maybe is shake. Probably there is a focus issue where I misread the dof scale on the lens. I remember than #4 was shot at f4, #7 I think was f5.6, and as the NX100 only has 2x focus assist I was using the dof scale, I must have got it slightly wrong.

You can get a better impression of the Hexanon 24 in this series where the light was very good:

http://forum.mflenses.com/samsung-nx200-with-hexanon-2-8-24-t62191.html

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I am so disappointed that Hexanons are not 'compatible' with Canon's EOS system.
#1 - is great, this cold view with a bit of warmth coming from the sun - I really enjoy it. Was it one shot or HDR?
#3 - if I may, it would be better with a little bit more dynamic range though
#5,6,7,8 - I buried my nose into monitor to find steam train coming from the distance, but it wasn't there Wink What a shame, it would complete the composition for me Smile

Mateusz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mateusz

Thanks for the feedback, always much appreciated. They are all HDR, I used the 3-shot AEB function with 1.5 stop spacing then composited them in Photomatix 4.

#1 is three images stitched, the sun was very low in the sky to the left.

#3, I couldn't decide whether to make it a silhouette or to make the foreground fully visible, it was the orange of the sky behind the trees that appealed to me.

I'm not sure why, but train tracks are a favoured subject for me. Very occasionally, 2 or 3 times a year, steam trains do run along this line, hopefully I can capture the next one, I live only 100m from the railway.

This is the railways line:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumbrian_Coast_Line

Sadly, now there are only 3 trains north and 3 trains south per day, plus the very occasional freight train passing by. If it wasn't for the nuclear plant at Sellafield which requires a rail connection for transport of flasks of nuclear waste for reprocessing, it would probably have closed.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shots, particularly #1 Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

Well I was going to say that, but thought I'd keep quiet to be polite as it is a Hexanon 24mm.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
kds315* wrote:

Well I was going to say that, but thought I'd keep quiet to be polite as it is a Hexanon 24mm.

That's probably a HDR consequence.
HDR works on contrast levels, objects that are small in the frame are treated as whole contrast areas (macro-contrast),
so when HDR adjustment is done, their original micro-contrast (almost at single pixel threshold level, because they are
small in the background) gets wasted in the process, and we know that micro-contrast is fundamental for the perception
of sharpness in a photograph.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm always happy for people to ask about perceived flaws in my images, I consider myself to be following a learning curve and discussion about things that I got right and got wrong I think, assists my learning process. This was only the second time I'd tried doing handheld HDR using the AEB function, the first time was with he NX200 in great light, and that worked very well, everything came out razor sharp. This occasion, in poor light, I had a lot of problems with fuzzy images. I should have turned up the ISO or made single shots rather than AEB triplets, but it wasn't apparent when shooting that I had an issue with shake. I'm a bit perplexed at the shake on some shots because the shutter speeds were not below 1/40 and I usually find that handholdable with a 24mm lens on APS-C.

About micro contrast, I use NIK sharpener after compiling the HDRs and it has a micro contrast function, I turn it up quite high to recover the lost micro contrast, but in this situation, that wasn't the problem, it was fuzziness due to shake.

I'll have to investigate further with this camera, but it seems to me that speeds that I find handholdable with other cameras are problematic with the NX100, or maybe I was just having a shaky hands day?