Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Chinon 55mm/1.7 - is it good?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Chinon 55mm/1.7 - is it good? Reply with quote

I don't have many lenses, but even so only use a few of the good ones while others rarely get to see the light of day. I thought I'd change that so I took my Chinon 55/1.7 out for a walk the other day. I've only read good things about this lens online, but personally I never liked it. Is there something wrong with mine or is it just not to my taste? It's not even close to sharp wide open, it glows like crazy and controling the flares when shooting into the sun is very difficult. Some might say it produces a sort of dreamy type of image and I suppose this is a good thing for certain applications but not for general shooting. Stopped down to about f/4 and beyond it is of course quite good, sharp and contrasty, I'm just not convinced by its open and close to open performance. A few samples below, the first at f/1.7 (I think), the rest mostly around f/2.8 or so. I was having a hard time focusing the lens wide open on my NEX-5. Focus peaking set to high barely registered anything at max magnification.

1:

2:

3:

4:

5:

6:

7:

8:

9:

10:

Last edited by miran on Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After this output you are asking if its good Razz Razz Razz Razz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raay04 wrote:
After this output you are asking if its good Razz Razz Razz Razz

Indeed.
All lenses wide open can be painful to focus sometimes.
The results from your lens speak for themselves.
Interesting that Chinon produced a 55mm and a 50mm f1.7
OH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chinon 1,7 and 1,9 were in very good concept in the 70's and 80's (here the multicoated version).

The chinon and gaf srl cams had them.

Not sourprize at all.

I thnk that if you said that the pics were taken with planar 50/1,7 i should beleave you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, so I think I won't sell it then. I probably wouldn't get much if anything for it anyway. I got it together with a Chinon CX Camera a few years ago for around 20€, I think. I just searched for completed listings on ebay and it looks like this kit (CX+55/1.7) regularly sells for amounts like 2, 3, 5 €/$/£/whatever. Well, when I think about it that way, then I suppose it's a good enough lens considering it's worth less than a beer. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:
Ah, so I think I won't sell it then. I probably wouldn't get much if anything for it anyway. I got it together with a Chinon CX Camera a few years ago for around 20€, I think. I just searched for completed listings on ebay and it looks like this kit (CX+55/1.7) regularly sells for amounts like 2, 3, 5 €/$/£/whatever. Well, when I think about it that way, then I suppose it's a good enough lens considering it's worth less than a beer. Smile

It is amazing how we sometimes forget what is important in photography - the images themselves.
Some folks get hung up on the reputation of certain brands of lens and forget that the end result is what matters.
Yours are splendid - and this lens has been a major contributor.
You should be pleased to have it.
OH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
miran wrote:

It is amazing how we sometimes forget what is important in photography - the images themselves.
Some folks get hung up on the reputation of certain brands of lens and forget that the end result is what matters.
OH

It's also true that there are millions of good f1.7 50mm lenses out there, so for a basic demand/offer ratio the value remains quite low.
To fetch higher prices you need stand out, either by being faster (from f1.4 on) or bearing a famous brand on the name ring.
Obviously, lens prices (especially in normal focal lengths) are almost never proportional to the sheer performance: often factors like brand reputation, rarity, momentanous trends, and max aperture play a major role. It needs to be said also that often the brand reputation is deserved, i.e. : all the contax/yashica zeiss lenses I tried were at least excellent.

So, to answer op's question, the lens look good, not exceptional imho, but very good, so much that I wouldn't sell it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
miran wrote:

OH

It's also true that there are millions of good f1.7 50mm lenses out there, so for a basic demand/offer ratio the value remains quite low.
To fetch higher prices you need stand out, either by being faster (from f1.4 on) or bearing a famous brand on the name ring.
Obviously, lens prices (especially in normal focal lengths) are almost never proportional to the sheer performance: often factors like brand reputation, rarity, momentanous trends, and max aperture play a major role. It needs to be said also that often the brand reputation is deserved, i.e. : all the contax/yashica zeiss lenses I tried were at least excellent.

So, to answer op's question, the lens look good, not exceptional imho, but very good, so much that I wouldn't sell it.

Agreed.
It is also the 12 inches behind the camera that turns these tools into the images that we love and enjoy.
What gives me a lot of pleasure on these forums is the way that many photographers here use the tools they have to give the images that they do.
This photographer - miran - and this lens - Chinon 55mm f1.7 - are a good combination.
OH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree with you. Thank you for your comments. Smile I'll keep the lens and use it more often, and maybe even start to like it. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

It is also the 12 inches behind the camera that turns these tools into the images that we love and enjoy.
What gives me a lot of pleasure on these forums is the way that many photographers here use the tools they have to give the images that they do.
This photographer - miran - and this lens - Chinon 55mm f1.7 - are a good combination.
OH

12 inches behind the camera? Laughing hey don't forget the film users Wink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the lens do pretty well, and if the photographer can do pretty well too the results = stunning Wink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't detect major flaws .The shots made against the sun don't show an outstanding resistance to flare,but I believe that the performance here is average from this point of view. The sharpness is not outstanding but seems OK .The colors and contrast seem fine , average ,again. I like the bokeh .
Overall , seems a good lens , not a fabulous one . But we only need good lenses to make fine images ,as you prove with this fine series.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously the lens is in expert hands, regardless of opinion about it. Nice work!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like them, i think the dreamy bokeh is great, and when in a good photoghraphers hands shines, and here i see it shine.
I think this lens is one of those tools that needs better understanding, i originally was not impressed with sharpness, etc but i love mine when i learnt it's strenghts i love the fact it s so different from all others

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one and enjoyed it for a while untill got the newer version - 50mm plastic MC . Then I sold the first to a guy from an auction and he reported exactly the same opinion - glows a bit too much and not as sharp wide-open as it could be. However, we both admitted that the lens is really underrated and overall performs very-very well, especially for portraits on full frame DSLRS.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miran , those are lovely pictures , I love my 55 1.7 chinon,
heres shot wide open

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very lovely shot, just the kind this lens is best for. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!
OH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo Miran, te bi bilo škoda zamudit. Tomioka klasična potemtakem.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:

+1

Just a quick question for anyone who might know.
Are there any noticeable differences - apart from slightly different focal length - between the 55mm and the 50mm Chinon 1.7 lenses?
Similar performance?
OH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Pancolart wrote:

+1

Are there any noticeable differences - apart from slightly different focal length - between the 55mm and the 50mm Chinon 1.7 lenses?
Similar performance?
OH

First off all, there are 55mm MC and 55mm non-MC. Also, there is are several versions of 55 non-MC which are different in barrel finishing and a later 55mm MC version made mainly of plastic. The difference between them is not significant.

The difference between mine 55mm non-MC and 50 mm MC is following:
1) 55 non-MC glows, (not much but it does, acceptable for portraits) while 50mm doesn't;
2) 55 non-MC is soft and less sharp than 50 mm MC;
3) 55 non-MC is heavier cause made of metal.

IMHO 50mm is a bit better.

Also I've seen 55mm in different mounts, but, mainly, m42, while 50mm MC seen only in PentaxK mount. I've converted 50mm to EOS.

Mine 55mm non-MC is this model http://fotking.net/sites/default/files/images/lens/9/chinon-55mm-f1.7-auto-0-0.jpg
and 50 MC is that model http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4143/4742282012_71dc8a4f7f.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digitalriver wrote:
Miran , those are lovely pictures , I love my 55 1.7 chinon,
heres shot wide open
photo

+100500 Exclamation Surprised

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mosaster wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
Pancolart wrote:

+1

Similar performance?
OH

First off all, there are 55mm MC and 55mm non-MC. Also, there is are several versions of 55 non-MC which are different in barrel finishing and a later 55mm MC version made mainly of plastic. The difference between them is not significant.

The difference between mine 55mm non-MC and 50 mm MC is following:
1) 55 non-MC glows, (not much but it does, acceptable for portraits) while 50mm doesn't;
2) 55 non-MC is soft and less sharp than 50 mm MC;
3) 55 non-MC is heavier cause made of metal.

IMHO 50mm is a bit better.

Also I've seen 55mm in different mounts, but, mainly, m42, while 50mm MC seen only in PentaxK mount. I've converted 50mm to EOS.

Mine 55mm non-MC is this model http://fotking.net/sites/default/files/images/lens/9/chinon-55mm-f1.7-auto-0-0.jpg
and 50 MC is that model http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4143/4742282012_71dc8a4f7f.jpg

Thank you mosaster for your reply and links.
Here are some images of 50mm (I think ?) f1.7 in M42 mount:

Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digitalriver wrote:
heres shot wide open

Totally lovely portrait. Catchlights in the eyes are superb. Congrats!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine looks like this:

The only photo of it I have. Non MC apparently.