Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help with 5d Mark 1 lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Help with 5d Mark 1 lens Reply with quote

Hi all, long time no post!.
I have just bought a 5d 1 and am in need of some guidance on what to avoid when choosing lenses and what my options are.
I have a lens doctor fd to eos adapter and a few basic fd lenses which i tried with a 1000d body with poor'ish results and didnt really learn a great deal.
I am looking for suggestions as to lens choices and appropriate adapters, that are well thought of with this camera and what differences I can expect over the 1000d.
Very much a newbee with this and though I've not had a great deal of success so far, am still undaunted and keen to master the older MF/classic lenses

Again, any advice welcome with regards any aspect of using a 5D mark 1 for the first time with MF lenses.

What does shaving the mirror allow you to do, does this mean that you do not need glass in adapters??

Lots to learn.

Steve.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Essentially compatibility will be the same as the 5D II, except there's no liveview...so some lenses won't be usable at all.

http://forum.mflenses.com/5d-mark-ii-lens-compatibility-chart-t15761.html

The FD adapter won't give you great results unless you take the glass element out, but then you'll be stuck with short focusing distances only, due to the different register distance.

The reality is that some lenses will hit the mirror, some won't. Most longer lenses (greater than 75mm) are fine. I've never had an Olympus OM lens hit the mirror, but I've had issues with some M42 lenses, Exakta lenses, certain Nikon lenses (e.g. 20/4), some of the Contax lenses will hit (45/2.8, 28/2) and I've had no joy at all with Prakticar PB lenses. Shaving the mirror will help, as there is more room for the rear of the lens to fit inside the body, but it needs to be a careful operation.