Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Alternatives to F-Distagon 2.8/16?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Alternatives to F-Distagon 2.8/16? Reply with quote

Are there any vintage lenses that perform similarly to the C-Y Zeiss F-Distagon 2.8/16 but cheaper? Anything in the M42 world?

In particular here are the qualities I'm looking for:
1. Full-frame capable. Should not smack 6D mirror or should be conveniently moddable.
2. Slight fisheye effect, but should not be overly pronounced; keeping the horizon level at the centre should result in no distortion of the horizon line.
3. Sharp at preferably f/4 upwards.
4. Solid build and metal construction.

However as I anticipate I'll use it only occasionally, I don't particularly want to shell out for an F-Distagon. Zenitar is too fishy (and soft), Canon isn't MF (and expensive), Samyang is plastic. Let me know if there are others. Thanks!

Last edited by wuxiekeji on Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:34 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i´m throwing the Samyang 14mm into the ring...It fulfils most of your wants, maybe the build could be a problem...but hey, it´s only like 300 bucks, so give it a ...shot (sorry for the pun Wink )
Cheers,
Timo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Räbenfluch wrote:
i´m throwing the Samyang 14mm into the ring...It fulfils most of your wants, maybe the build could be a problem...but hey, it´s only like 300 bucks, so give it a ...shot (sorry for the pun Wink )
Cheers,
Timo

14mm is rectilinear with moustache distortion, right? I'm looking for something that fishes a little bit, just not too much. This gives the impression of being super super wide, but without being unnatural. Sometimes I find ultrawide rectilinear lenses feel unnatural in the corners because of the way they need to be stretched, but super fishy fisheyes look unnatural also. I've seen many photos of the F-Distagon 2.8/16 online and find it fishes just the right amount for my taste Wink

Here are some links to (not mine) photos illustrating what I mean:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fernandito_brown/8450919442/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kiddiuk/6952421159/

Last edited by wuxiekeji on Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:42 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something with the same performance as the Distagon but cheaper?

Doesn't exist imho.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are the Nikon 16mm f2.8 and f/3.5 fisheyes, but I'm unsure as to how they compare to the Distagon.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Peleng 17mm is a darn good lens if you can live with the vignetting at the corners on full frame:
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=52631
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=43357

It's probably too fishy but it meets your other criteria. I'd rate it as sharper than the Zenitar.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zenitar can be stunning too , problem they have very mixed quality. I have Konica 15mm UC, easily catch Distagon, but no full frame digital body to use it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies!
I looked around a bit and the Peleng seems a bit too fishy for my tastes, it suddenly becomes super fishy near the edges. Looking around for more info about Konica, it seems rare ...
I did however run into the Takumar 17/4 and pictures seem nice, has a gradual transition to the curvy part and feels natural. Are there any gotchas about this lens? Is it sharp at f/4?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another vote for the zenitar. of course its not in the zeiss class, not many are for less than $1000. but it can be beautifully sharp, great color, very mild fish eye, and not big like the tak. i used it on my 2x ep2 and really loved it.
tony

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for the Zenitar.

Surely the amount of fisheye effect is linked to the subject being shot, and keeping the horizon central, as mentioned.

I use mine on a 5D2 and for landscapes most people have no idea a fisheye was used. Plus in post processing you can use lens correction tools to your taste.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zenitar too Very Happy