Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A new buy - Peleng 17mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: A new buy - Peleng 17mm Reply with quote

My latest acquisition:

It is absolutely brand new. Barrel design is similar to the Helios 44-3. I like that! Very robust and sturdy.
I wanted to see how it would compare to the Zenitar 16mm. So far it appears promising. I have a good copy of the zenitar but @f2.8 it still leaves a lot to be desired. The peleng looks like it wins in the wide-open test:

I got the lens 2 hours ago so no good samples yet. Soon!
~Marc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never used the Peleng, myself. Thanks for sharing. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc, What camera are you using with this lens? And that is an interesting serial number...were you camping out at MMZ's front door for this? Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the Sony a850.
Found this one marked as "new" by a distributor in the U.S. He sells a lot of the newer Russian, Ukrainian, Belorussian equipment. The last time I saw a Peleng 17mm, the price went sky high. It's supposed to be fairly uncommon but he had a number of them for sale.

I was a little skeptical that is was new. But it really is! Which would actually make it my only new lens.

Princelle has it being produced in 1996. I thought production had ceased shortly after that. Maybe it restarted? New old stock? I truthfully don't know...

This website has them listed: http://www.peleng8.com/peleng-17mm.html
So maybe they did restart production. I got mine for $200 + shipping if anyone was interested.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The black corners on the photo are my fault. I did not adjust the interchangeable A-mount before attaching it to my camera so the lens was not oriented correctly. I have since done this and the petals no longer show.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I've never seen this one before! Love the fishiness!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
The black corners on the photo are my fault. I did not adjust the interchangeable A-mount before attaching it to my camera so the lens was not oriented correctly. I have since done this and the petals no longer show.
so you´ve got tilt-shift fish-eye with this adapter? Smile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
so you´ve got tilt-shift fish-eye with this adapter?

No. I just have a full frame camera. If the lens is not oriented correctly with the hood petals exactly at the top, bottom and sides they come into the frame.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks better than zenitar indeed. Cann't wait to see more samples.
So this is real new? made this year?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So this is real new? made this year?

Oh! I actually just looked through the documentation. The lens is dated November 30th, 2010.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! So they restarted its production then. Great news! I have one, too, but it's made in 1993 I believe; http://www.prime35.com/fisheye-mc-peleng-17mm-f2-8/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did a quick check on eBay, and someone seems to have these in stock. They even used an image I've taken of my lens from my Web site... I'm touched Shocked
http://cgi.ebay.com/110751535361

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:25 am    Post subject: Petal orientation Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:

Hi themoleman342,
I just bought this lens off Ebay and received it today. Can you please teach me how to adjust the petals’ orientation? Thanks a lot!
By the way, my lens is M42 mount.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: Petal orientation Reply with quote

fotoaholic wrote:
I just bought this lens off Ebay and received it today. Can you please teach me how to adjust the petals’ orientation? Thanks a lot!

It's interchangeable "A" mount. Adjusted by losening three flat screws located around the mount and rotating the entire lens while still mounted on the camera.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor puppy! He looks a bit sad Smile
Very good photo
@ Aoleg: it is my understanding that the Peleng has never been discontinued.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Petal orientation Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
fotoaholic wrote:

It's interchangeable "A" mount. Adjusted by losening three flat screws located around the mount and rotating the entire lens while still mounted on the camera.

Thank you!
Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
@ Aoleg: it is my understanding that the Peleng has never been discontinued.

I haven't seen any samples of the 17mm model manufactured between the 90's and the current years. Apparently, the factory decided there's a lot of interest for classic glass at the moment, and re-started production of this lens. What you're probably thinking was the Peleng 8mm fisheye, which, indeed, was always around.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here were some quick snaps from in the busch gardens skyride:

(yes yes, fisheyes aren't for people Very Happy I like it! I told her to make the most ridiculous face possible.)

And I guess the hood petals in-frame are inevitable. At least the vignetting is even now...
~Marc

Last edited by themoleman342 on Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Poor puppy! He looks a bit sad
Very good photo

Laughing Thank you!
She's only sad that she can't reach out and lick the lens. This is the one thing that I deny her.