Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MD 35-70mm f3.5 zoom conversion to EOS mount..
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Minolta MD 35-70mm f3.5 zoom conversion to EOS mount.. Reply with quote

I am trying to do this conversion for a long time. Bought 3 lenses, and after checking the mount design, found Minolta 35-70mm f3.5 is most easy to do this conversion.

I was wrong...

First I took out Minolta mount from the lens,

As you can see in the second picture, the mount is not making the whole circle. In original mount, the Minolta back plate was taking care of this.

made the holes for screws on M42->EOS adapter. In the end, I mounted the that adapter on the lens. Luckily, this zoom mount was a thicker one, and I am able to do infinity focus.

But the cut in lens body is keeping the space between adapter (new mount) and lens body for about 1/3 of circumference. This keeping the aperture system little loose as well as big space for light lean.

There is a solution to this issue. I can file the real mount and just keep the ring (of required thickness). But That metal is sucker. I dont know what composite metal they have used.... may be stronger than current space ships...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the tools used (as a capture from the new lens),
not really any scientific or good test conditions... will take the lens out on weekend...
I got this rotary tool from ebay for $8 (incl S&H), bought the bits and other accessories set (manufactured by Kawasaki) for $19 (planning to buy for a long time).... and already had the screw driver set by Kobalt ..

Captured @F=40mm
Direct JPEG from camera, Canon 350D/Rebel XT, with internal sharpening ON...

can browse the full size by clicking on the posted image

@f3.5

100%crop

@f8+

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Ballu!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would not know what to do with two thirds of the items in that box Surprised Surprised

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballu, I love your nice toolset!!
That's *real* bricolage, (and not what I use to do).
Congrats,
Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Personally I would not know what to do with two thirds of the items in that box Surprised Surprised
patrickh

That's the destiny of us literary trained people, Patrick. Often, we are total inepts in the handiwork. Sad

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:

patrickh

Nor would I, but the worrying thing is I'd be tempted to have a go anyway Embarassed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for viewing...

Yes, even I dont know lot of stuff (how to use.. "where" is provided on the cheap sheet).. the set was tempting... and even price too... not able to control... Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I am surprised.. one one raised the issue of this lens linking to Leica Vario...

Frankly, I am looking for my jaw... today I tested outside.. and with little light leak and at f8... the quality is Shocked Rolling Eyes Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested the lens at 70mm, it is surprisingly sharp... this is @f5.6 0r 7 (as aperture ring is little loose, difficult to control),

I used the free version of RawShooter essentials 2006 for processing.. first from RAW to TIFF to JPEG.. no sharpening applied..
(But seems like the software put sharpening itself even at 0 value)..

100% crops

I will post other pics/crops later...

Last edited by Ballu on Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:11 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks as though it can really give the nikkor 35-70/2,8 a run for its money and that is one of the best zooms available IMHO

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent resolution!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orio....

patrickh wrote:
That looks as though it can really give the nikkor 35-70/2,8 a run for its money and that is one of the best zooms available IMHO

patrickh

yes patrickh... I heard lot on internet "under current"... Minolta MF are not so much in demand.. but can tell... This is one hell of the lens, zoom or not zoom..

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very old thread bumped!

How lucky I was to get one in a bag of Minolta stuff for just £20. I wouldnt attempt to convert the mount. You can buy converters for EOS both glass and otherwise.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just easier to buy a NEX......