Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Lilia Reply with quote

The model is the client

She wanted the latest trend of desaturated look for some images and deeply saturated colors for some others. And "lots of 3D".

She is super happy with the images

This is not my typical style but always nice to try something new

Do let me know what you guys think

All images shot with M9 + Summicron 75/f2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Lilia Reply with quote

Hari wrote:

Ok, I give you my honest opinion:
I like the poses of #1 and #2, they are the most effective. Instead I see pose problems in #3 #4 #5
#1 and #2 look more washed out than desaturated. Conversely, #3 #4 #5 look more overcontrasted than deeply saturated.
Contrast and saturation go naturally together but they can (and should) be handled separately.
The aged yellow tone of #1 #2 looks nice, but there is an exposure problem.
All 5 images would have greatly benefitted from light modifiers (reflecting panels, flash with a softbox), which are standard
in this kind of shots but asbolutely mandatory in high contrast sunlight situations such as this one.
But if the client is super happy, then it's all that matters. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before last sit on floor my favorite, shows best side of her and green , light produce excellent image, congrats!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great model and nicely dressed, good location.

BUT: greenish skin in #1 + 2? Missed focus on #4 + 5 (and somewhat #3), feet are sharp but face is not.

I agree with Orio, that it is quite harsh (too much contrast) and oversaturated (#3-5)

But if she likes it, well, all is well then!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Lilia Reply with quote

Hari wrote:

Nice legs ! Laughing

Agree withe Orio and Klaus , some misfocusing problems - little backfocus ?(maybe too shallow depth of field?) Like the fourth pose , the last one is not very flattering knees wise, in my opinion .Also I detected some vitiligo or depigmentation marks on the hands and legs also a little . Maybe the poses should try to hide that , wouldn't hurt , in my opinion. But these are just if we want to split hairs , at first sight looks nice .If she likes , not bad .What aperture did you used ?
Tried some sepia ? Maybe could be interesting on the first ones

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I must choose I'd pick the first 2 with the desaturated look

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beside the endless technical faults always present in any effort, and given demanding light, I think the goal is very well-attained -- the photographer has succeeded remarkably in recording character & spirit, and even better than that, to her satisfaction(!).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Lilia Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Hari wrote:

Ok, I give you my honest opinion:
I like the poses of #1 and #2, they are the most effective. Instead I see pose problems in #3 #4 #5
#1 and #2 look more washed out than desaturated. Conversely, #3 #4 #5 look more overcontrasted than deeply saturated.
Contrast and saturation go naturally together but they can (and should) be handled separately.
The aged yellow tone of #1 #2 looks nice, but there is an exposure problem.
All 5 images would have greatly benefitted from light modifiers (reflecting panels, flash with a softbox), which are standard
in this kind of shots but asbolutely mandatory in high contrast sunlight situations such as this one.
But if the client is super happy, then it's all that matters. Smile

Can you tell me what could be done better with 3, 4 and 5? I dont have much experience with model shoots and want to learn.

I think i understand what you mean here "#1 and #2 look more washed out than desaturated. Conversely, #3 #4 #5 look more overcontrasted than deeply saturated." Will try this in Lightroom.

I do not have any reflectors / flash etc. but this is such easy money and fun that i will go deeper into this area of photography

Orio, thank you for taking the time to help me understand what can be improved

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Before last sit on floor my favorite, shows best side of her and green , light produce excellent image, congrats!

Thanks Attila Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Great model and nicely dressed, good location.

BUT: greenish skin in #1 + 2? Missed focus on #4 + 5 (and somewhat #3), feet are sharp but face is not.

I agree with Orio, that it is quite harsh (too much contrast) and oversaturated (#3-5)

But if she likes it, well, all is well then!

the model and i sat together for the post processing and this is the result of what she liked. maybe i should have suggested technically correct processing settings (green skin) but she wanted it that way

btw, these are not all ... there are many more images from this session. i just didnt get the time to process all the files. More shots coming up shortly!

i dont know whats wrong - either my contact lenses and m9 dont agree on the focal point or my lenses need readjustment ... im missing focus on quite a few shots lately :/

thank you for the comments Klaus Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Lilia Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:
Hari wrote:

Nice legs ! Laughing

Agree withe Orio and Klaus , some misfocusing problems - little backfocus ?(maybe too shallow depth of field?) Like the fourth pose , the last one is not very flattering knees wise, in my opinion .Also I detected some vitiligo or depigmentation marks on the hands and legs also a little . Maybe the poses should try to hide that , wouldn't hurt , in my opinion. But these are just if we want to split hairs , at first sight looks nice .If she likes , not bad .What aperture did you used ?
Tried some sepia ? Maybe could be interesting on the first ones

yes - not correctly focused :/

i shot mostly at f5.6 from 3-5 metre range if i remember correctly

good point wrt the depigmentation ... i will keep this in mind for the next time

no b&w ... she was quite specific about the end look of the images

thank you for the good advice!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick1779 wrote:
If I must choose I'd pick the first 2 with the desaturated look

Grazie!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Beside the endless technical faults always present in any effort, and given demanding light, I think the goal is very well-attained -- the photographer has succeeded remarkably in recording character & spirit, and even better than that, to her satisfaction(!).

Can you let me know the technical faults? I want to learn and improve.

Thank you for the kind words Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Lilia Reply with quote

Hari wrote:

Can you tell me what could be done better with 3, 4 and 5? I dont have much experience with model shoots and want to learn.

You're welcome Hari! I'm glad to help.
I made writings on pictures Smile :

Later when I have time I will talk about #1, because it's a good example situation that can be useful to other people too.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent teachings Orio!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The out-of-focus background looks like it was created in photoshop. It has a definite start/stop.

I have done a similar with an amateur model and was pleased with the results. I looked online and found images of poses that I liked and discussed them with the model beforehand and she pretty well decided what to do. So when we took the pictures we had some idea what we were doing. I wanted Black & White 1940's style pics so out came the trenchcoat and hat (from my amazing collection of hats), my model just wanted fun.

Take the comments as constructive. I have learned from reading them.

Check out my flickr page. Lots of photos, but unfortunately not the full session. Here are a few faves. Lots of fun! http://www.flickr.com/photos/birchdigital/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Lilia Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Hari wrote:

You're welcome Hari! I'm glad to help.
I made writings on pictures Smile :

Later when I have time I will talk about #1, because it's a good example situation that can be useful to other people too.

Wow! some really cool insights!

Thank you again for taking the time to help me Orio! I really appreciate it!

Please do share some tips on #1 when you have the time

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
The out-of-focus background looks like it was created in photoshop. It has a definite start/stop.

I have done a similar with an amateur model and was pleased with the results. I looked online and found images of poses that I liked and discussed them with the model beforehand and she pretty well decided what to do. So when we took the pictures we had some idea what we were doing. I wanted Black & White 1940's style pics so out came the trenchcoat and hat (from my amazing collection of hats), my model just wanted fun.

Take the comments as constructive. I have learned from reading them.

Check out my flickr page. Lots of photos, but unfortunately not the full session. Here are a few faves. Lots of fun! http://www.flickr.com/photos/birchdigital/

The m9 + 75/2 combo is really good.

pity my contact lenses make me miss focus Mad

it is fun shooting models - even more if they're paying Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hari wrote:

How can that be? I also wear contact lenses and some pretty strong ones, - 5.5 diopters. Very intresting thread btw and i like the pics.

Tomas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:
Hari wrote:

How can that be? I also wear contact lenses and some pretty strong ones, - 5.5 diopters. Very intresting thread btw and i like the pics.

Tomas

Perhaps the camera's eyepiece diopter adjustment needs a re-do. I take off lens, adjust diopter for sharpest view of focus points, then check focus accuracy using a ruler slanted away at 45 degrees -- does where I place focus on the ruler scale match where focus is in photo? If that doesn't work the camera focus screen needs calibration, needs to be re-shimmed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

she looks sweet and happy in the first two and they have a sense of movement, of capturing a special moment and I like that!
she does frown a bit in the other, I find the somewhat missed focus on the face a bit disturbing on the leg photo and also too much shadow in the face in the last.

very good information and instructions, thank you Orio!
On the other hand can't imagine that I'd much like Hari's model, in this environment, posing like the beauty queen does. That may be 'perfect' in many ways but imo would not look very natural which is or could be the forte of these portraits

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Excellent teachings Orio!

+1 Very Happy

I learned something as well Wink
We need more threads like this!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've learned something too, very instructive indeed. Thanks, Orio! I don't like beauty queen pose though. The legs look good, but the rotated torso looks absolutely artificial. Perhaps it's just a matter of rotating slightly less.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Orio! In my observation is best to make model shoot with cloudy sky or bright day but in shadow and wall is essential to reflect light if you have no helper with reflector. Otherways model can open eyes only a few seconds and usually not fully.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Illustration of wall usage , what I told in previous post and shade.