Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta Autocord
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Minolta Autocord Reply with quote

Minolta Autocord (export) 1958 by Nesster, on Flickr

My latest TLR... I got it cheap and suspected it would need some repair, not too bad as it turns out...

This configuration with the Seikosha-MX LV shutter and Chiyoko Rokkor is the Autocord export model, from 1958. The serial number on the camera though is a lower number than mentioned on the web... 165xxx, though this is consistent with 1958. So it likely is from early in the run.

The LV implementation is an unusual one: you add the numbers for the shutter and aperture - in this case 7+6= 13 EV.

Mostly everything works, focus and aperture and the lenses are clear. Two problems: the shutter speed is stuck on 1/100 and won't budge, and the shutter arming with the backward crank isn't reliable - seems like the feeler on the top of the back isn't engaged to the back itself properly. Oh, and the seals are bad and the leatherette is peeling. So this will go in for repairs and then get a new skin.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it looks handsome in the photo. How would you compare it to the Yashica Mats?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! I expect better quality or equal than Yashica.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I get this one working, I can compare 3 of the best Japanese TLRs: Autocord, Diacord and Yashica Mat 124G Wink

Between the Diacord and Yashica - Diacord lens is more contrasty and in-your-face sharp, while the Yashica is a bit more relaxed but still holds onto detail pretty well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my father's AutoCord #140626 with Chiyoko Rokkor 75/3.5 lens and Optiper-MXS shutter (1-1/500 second). It was probably an Export model, as Dad remained stateside throughout the 1950's-60's. I always thought it was better quality than my long-lost YashicaMat 124G.

Alas, the AutoCord's shutter no longer works, and I don't know when or where I can have it repaired. But I have a working backup, Dad's prior TLR: an ArgoFlex-E, smaller and simpler than either the AutoCord or the YashicaMat -- it's almost pocket size, if one has big pockets. Wink Anyway, Dad got professional results from both cameras.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autocords are superb! I've owned a few. Thought about buying one today.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Alas, the AutoCord's shutter no longer works, and I don't know when or where I can have it repaired.

Karl Bryan repaired mine, the camera is on its way back now. He seems to be the repair guy for Autocords and Diacords (and other Ricoh TLRs) in the USA ... I will put up his contact info & new pics of the camera when I get it back.

I ordered new skin for the Autocord from cameraleather.com, only to discover that outfit is rather slow and uncommunicative... apparently all I can do is wait and eventually they will send the new covering. Which will result in yet another set of pics of the camera post-recovering Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting factoid is that the Autocord adopted the Meopta Flexaret's focussing mechanism. My own feeling is that the Diacord's "see-saw" arrangement is a little better mechanically, but more prone to ingress of dirt.

I do have a Diacord but the taking lens is shot; but I do not really have an urge to get it done up Sad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a nice looking camera right now.

Is a camera like this a lot more expensive to have repaired than a regular SLR like say a spotmatic. Just curious.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh..... Very Nice!
I look forward to your examples.
There is a UK Photographer that I have liked over the years who used an autocord.
Les Mclean. Reading one of his books sent me on a quest for new ways to expose frames via breaking up exposure times.
The Focus lever is a very unique Autocord feature am I right?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:

The Focus lever is a very unique Autocord feature am I right?

No, like I said it's a copy of the one on the Flexaret.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schnauzer wrote:
Its a nice looking camera right now.

Is a camera like this a lot more expensive to have repaired than a regular SLR like say a spotmatic. Just curious.

TLRs are pretty simple, if you think about it... As a comparison, Essex Camera Services quotes some "standard repair" fees:

Spotmatic models $95-98
Olympus OM1/2 $120
Minolta SRT*** $110

Autocord $98
Yashica Mat $110
Ricoh Diacord $90

http://essexcamera.com/camera_list.php

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jussi.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, my wife didn't tell me a package came yesterday -- I came in a different door as I was bringing back garbage cans from the curb -- and the Minolta is already back! Karl works very fast.

My repair came to a bit more than I thought it would, but then I got a new name plate to replace the broken one that had been glued onto the camera. Karl charges $55 for the shutter CLA, plus then he restores the helix, adjusts and fixes the transport, collimates the lenses, cleans the reflex mirror and view screen... my camera had had a front impact, thus the stuck levers. He adjusted these. Now everything is silky smooth.

Karl's email: karl.kathy@frontier.com and he's up in the Northwest of the USA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here she is, half-nude, as Karl did not replace the leatherette he removed to do the CLA... as I'm waiting (and waiting...) for cameraleather.com to send me a package. Anyhow, there's a very large version on flickr if anyone wants to see the screws and bits that are usually covered by leatherette.

Minolta Autocord, partially uncovered by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know this is same case or not by my repair man can remove leatherette do cla'd and put back leatherette and I can't see any trace path it was removed at all just camera works fine again.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, normally he'd do so as well - I told him to leave it off as I was waiting for the new leather.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really looks nice. I bet it really dresses it up with the new leather.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I put my order in, I read the cameraleather thread over at pentax forums... and it sounds like I may be waiting for a long time, with no communication, until one day the package will arrive.

But in the meanwhile, I can still put this camera to use! This Thursday, in fact, I'm thinking of taking this + the new Minolta 35-70 on either the SRT 201 or (if it arrives) Xe-7 out for the day. And to be completely crazy, maybe I should take the old A-2 as well.

Nah, that would be nearly insane Laughing

By the way, there's people on flickr who make their own coverings, some kind of interesting, like this zebra Diacord
http://www.flickr.com/photos/waffles_kill_whores/5231614480/

And this Retina
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bfljake/4271898759/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How bout some pix too, after you put her pants back on. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She'll work nude, I hear, but only for the right film Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking Autocord, Nesster. Ever since I've seen photos taken by Autocords and Diacords here at MF Lenses, I've been wanting to add to my TLR inventory.

Yours reminds me of my Yashica Mat 124. I was as careful as I could be, but the leatherette disintegrated when I removed the taking lens to clean it. I've been planning on buying a set of leatherette replacements from cameraleather.com, but I wasn't aware of their slowness. Oh well, the camera is usable as it sits, so I guess I can wait, as long as I will eventually get the replacement leatherettes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got Acros? Whip up some Caffenol C-M and push it to 1600 like this guy
did:

I never would have imagined ISO 1600 from a 100 film. This is much better than any of my efforts with TriX to 1600 using HC-110.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeez, what a model Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
jeez, what a model Shocked

+1 Laughing