Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica Noctilux aspherical
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Leica Noctilux aspherical Reply with quote

OK, I admit it: I'm impressed:

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/03/12/shooting-wide-open-in-the-sunlight-with-fast-glass/

It takes a mortgage on your house to buy it, still, I'm impressed.
The sad thing is that such a beauty can only be purchased by bankers or tycoons with a greedy heart.
So this lens will only be used for heartless photos, most likely.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't understand the obsession with fast glass and shooting wide open, wide open in bright sunlight doesn't seem sensible to me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither do I, usually, because results are often ugly, except with only a few lenses.
This is one of those few lenses from what I can see.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressed too. If we are not discussing the price this lens is a killer Smile very nice character

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Neither do I, usually, because results are often ugly, except with only a few lenses.
This is one of those few lenses from what I can see.

Yes, it is an impressive lens. I can shoot my Meyer Primagon wide open in any light but it's f4.5 so doesn't count.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the aspherical surface might have to do with the really unobtrusive bokeh.
A f/0.95 lens of spherical construction would create a swirl able to suck in an ocean...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I think the aspherical surface might have to do with the really unobtrusive bokeh.
A f/0.95 lens of spherical construction would create a swirl able to suck in an ocean...

Indeed, the cheap 0.95 c-mount lenses swirl like a washing machine on spin cycle.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the last Leica Historica conference I have heard a presentation about that lens by Peter Karbe, head of optical development at Leica.
He has shown us amazing images taken with that lens on an M9 and he said that that lens was built to be used wide open. "Only stop down if you want more DoF", he said.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there must be a misunderstanding: the linked pictures are taken by a SLR Magic 50/0,95, not a Noctilux Wink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:
there must be a misunderstanding: the linked pictures are taken by a SLR Magic 50/0,95, not a Noctilux Wink

Anyway, the Noctilux is an amazing lens. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Ultrapix wrote:

Anyway, the Noctilux is an amazing lens. Wink

No doubt, but it's funny that this topic starts from impressive pics taken by 1/3 price Korean lens Wink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think these are the noctilux pics: http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2009/12/09/the-leica-50-noctilux-f-0-95-lens-review/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting chain mail in the sixth photo of the main series.

Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I was drawn to that one too...I can't imagine why. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too... If that's at .95 how do they get that much DOF. Smile Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
Me too... If that's at .95 how do they get that much DOF. Smile Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Yes big t*ts usualy suffer from fast lenses - Steve handled that very well

A very nice series. Seems to be a also really nice lens. In some shots I can find more vignetting than in others... I'm not sure if some are not wide open, it's an post processing, focues distance, or an environmental issue. I guess the Noctilux is even a tack better. What jump in quality difference to the SLR magic 35/1.7 Wink
Does anyone here who made the lens? I knew it but forgot it... I researched and postet who made it somewhere in dslr-forum.de but I can't it anymore. It's a lesser known producer.

Luckily I don't have to use ND filters to shoots wide open outdoors very often as the weather here is crap most of the time Wink

Last edited by ForenSeil on Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think shooting wide open is crazy, I don't understand who the target market is for this lens?

I just don't find the images from this lens impressive, maybe it's just me but I don't see the appeal of blurry images with only tiny portions in focus.

I don't like the Seal images either, they look gimmicky and blurry.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:

LOL

He also says:

"after shooting more with the lens I have to say that it is indeed just as good (if not better) in IQ than the Leica Noctilux ASPH"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Quote:

I know why: goose bumps. Cold metal on skin = goose bumps.
Hmm, me thinks. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Quote:

Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I still think shooting wide open is crazy, I don't understand who the target market is for this lens?

I just don't find the images from this lens impressive, maybe it's just me but I don't see the appeal of blurry images with only tiny portions in focus.

I don't like the Seal images either, they look gimmicky and blurry.

It may be not your cup of tea, but as you know it's a trend (abused, maybe) wich has many followers; these samples are addressed to those fans, and the lens admittely performs very well.