Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokyo Kogaku 135/3.5 RE, Auto-Topcor
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Tokyo Kogaku 135/3.5 RE, Auto-Topcor Reply with quote

Another Topcor recently acquired to use with new NEX. This one seems quite sharp, although I haven't had an opportunity to do a side by side with one of my other sharpest lenses. The bokeh seems busy at times, but in fairness, the day was extremely bright and the lens had to be stopped down in most situations. However, I have seen wide open shots and they are nearly as sharp as when stopped down.

3. A vertical crop from horizontal picture

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far away from the first bird where you for #6?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice series, great results from the lens! 4, 6, 8 and 9 are brilliant!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lena wrote:
How far away from the first bird where you for #6?

That first seagull was about 10 feet away, but I may be a bad judge of estimating distance. I cropped it vertically from a horizontal picture, but the top and bottom are the same as original image if that helps. The pelican shots were as close as they appear. The bird didn't move as I came closer, to the point where I have some shots where I couldn't even get his whole beak in the frame.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surfing via my mobile phone so probably erring but doesnt the rendering look very similar to the Tair-11? 133mm f2.8

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about that, Hari, I'll have to do some similar photos to compare. I do know that the Tair-11 is at the very top of my list of bokeh - even better than the Meyer Orestor in my opinion. From what I see of the Topcor 58/1.8, it may have similar qualities. You'll need to view these at full screen to appreciate better. ... And thanks for your earlier comments.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, very nice! Not the most challenging focal length but still great results!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I directly compared this lens to the Konica Hexanon 3.2/135, Jupiter-11A 4/135 and Konica Hexanon 3.5/135 early version, all are excellent, very sharp lenses.

The two best were the Hexanon 3.2/135 and the Topcor.

I then did a direct comparison of those two. The Topcor was slightly better, it had slightly higher sharpness and microcontrast, which is really something as the Hexanon 3.2/135 is a fantastic lens. The Topcor also had slightly richer colour rendition.

The 1.8/58 and 5.6/200 Topcors are wonderful too, I compared the 1.8/58 to my Biotar T 2/58 and Pancolar 1.8/50, the Topcor was sharper than both by a visible margin and had more saturated colours, bokeh of the Topcor is an acquired taste, I really like it, find it painterly, but it might be a bit busy to some people.

Eventually I will collect the other RE Topcors, but they aren't very affordable, the 1.8/58, 3.5/135 and 5.6/200 are the most common and cheap. I'd dearly love the 1.4/58 but it's an expensive and rare item, from samples I've seen, it's probably one of the best 50-ish lenses around. I'd love the 20 and 25mm lenses too as I mostly shoot wide angles. The 1.4/58 was copied by Cosina to make the Voigtlander 1.4/58.

This is a rare and unusual thing, no idea if it's been converted or came from the Topcon factory in Nikon mount:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Nikon-Auto-Topcor-58mm-F1-4-Silver-Lens-Limited-Edition-for-Nikon-Mount-/220960867108?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item33724b4324#ht_537wt_1397

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
IThe 1.4/58 was copied by Cosina to make the Voigtlander 1.4/58.

This is a rare and unusual thing, no idea if it's been converted or came from the Topcon factory in Nikon mount:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Nikon-Auto-Topcor-58mm-F1-4-Silver-Lens-Limited-Edition-for-Nikon-Mount-/220960867108?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item33724b4324#ht_537wt_1397

From cameraquest site http://www.cameraquest.com/Voigt_SL2.htm "The Nokton 58/1.4 is a revised version of Cosina's 2003 limited edition 58/1.4 Topcor"
The limited edition lens in its turn is "a new optical design and styled after the classic 58/1.4 Topcor" http://www.cameraquest.com/Voigt%20SL.htm

This limited edition series is actually a kind of fake Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, interesting, I have read a few comments saying they copied the formula but your link sounds like a credible source.

So that Nikon mount Topcor 1.4/58 I liked to is a Cosina made one?

I'm sure I'd be able to tell if I had one in my hands, the Topcon lenses are probably the finest engineering of all lenses (perhaps Contarex Zeiss were better, never held one) the feel of them is exceptionally nice, I doubt the Cosinas feel the same, even if they look the same.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
the Topcon lenses are probably the finest engineering of all lenses (perhaps Contarex Zeiss were better, never held one) the feel of them is exceptionally nice,

I'll second you on that, Ian. I have several RE Topcors and I am very impressed with the smoothness of operation. I'm itching to get adapters so I can use them on my new 5D MkII.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finishd reassembling my RE, Auto-Topcor 3,5/13,5cm #7607071

Cleaned it and lubed it and didn't even need touch the lens block....

Now it's like new ..... I can't wait to use it !

I got a bunch of auctions going on on ebay and if all goes well i'll get me
another M42 adapter and see if all is fine....

I guess this one is an earlier version... Anyone knows anything about it ??

@woodrim
I hope you finally got the 100mm back together....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an older R 135/3.5 preset, it is also great, I too did a clean and lube without touching the optics as much as possible, which seem to have a clarity that other lenses that I've worked on just didn't have.

Ian the 35/2.8 doesn't seem that rare either and looks like it's also great performer.

I think I posted this in the 58/1.8 thread about the 58/1.4 being reissued in a limited run in F & M42 by CV with permission of Topcon,
I'd love to see them return to making camera lenses.

Edit: Great shots btw, really helps show what a good lens can do when used in capable hands.

Last edited by Lightshow on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice pictures, showing what this great 135mm can do.

You might also consider the 100mm f/2.8. It's my favorite in the Topcor lineup, the bokeh is a bit more diffuse and painterly, and it's not very expensive. A great focal length on APS-C. I will make some pictures with it in the next few days and share them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My latest shot from the lens I posted about above:
R 135/3.5 preset, wide open, hand held @ 1/125 on NEX-7 ISO-250

Click through for larger version

And yes the 58/1.4 is worthy of the hype.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice results indeed. Must resist temptation... Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that picture very much. Often times Mama will take the babies into the water when someone approaches - I suppose creating another opportunity, but you were fortunate to capture them as you did. Nice job.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind comments, yeah, Momma would efficiently herd them in when dogs were approaching.