Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron SP 70-210/3.5 CF Macro, some samples
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Tamron SP 70-210/3.5 CF Macro, some samples Reply with quote

I got this lens today at a local flea market.
I took it out for some samples this afternoon (incredibly some sun came out at last): as a first impression I didn't like the handling much, focus throw is quite long, and the lens itself is a bit big for my taste.
But the pics came out much better than I'd expect from an old zoom (and from me shooting flowers), and with my surprise, it's good through all the focal and aperture ranges.
A real surprise (yes, I know it's well respected, and I read a lot of good reviews here as well, but I wasn't really expecting much), and the close focus ability is really nice.

[1] at 210mm, f5.6, around minimum focus distance

[2] wide open, testing bokeh, around 100mm

[3]

[4]

[5]

[6]

[7] This was focused by mistake on the leftmost pillar

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more topics about Tamron SP zooms have come up lately. Again i must say that the results are above of what one expects from a zoom. f/3.5 constant aperture from 70-210 was quite an achievement in those days, hence "big".
Do you have a picture of the lens?

I have been looking for SP series zoomlenses here in the Netherlands, but for some reason they never show up on our local internet marketplace....
Being not a big fan of zooms, i would like to try one of the old SP zooms!

Up till now the only satisfying manual zoomlenses for me are Minolta 3.5/35-70 and 4.5/75-200.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compared to the Sigma zoom I just bought this lens smashes it out of the park.

Very nice images.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens is this one, it's incredibly well built mechanically with total absence of zoom creep - that is something i would have expected from such a heavy piece of metal.

I also like minolta zooms very much, some of them (af 35-70/4 mini beercan, or the 100-200) are the only autofocus lenses I use with some regularity.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best old zoom what we can buy on affordable price, I was also amazed once I did try it out, congrats!

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
One of the best old zoom what we can buy on affordable price, I was also amazed once I did try it out, congrats!

Thanks.
I saw it in it's case, with the transparent rear cap and the original hood, and I thought I could resell it well.
But now I'm not much in a hurry about selling it (even because price was extremely low).

parabellumfoto wrote:
Compared to the Sigma zoom I just bought this lens smashes it out of the park.
Very nice images.

Thanks.
I have mixed experience with sigma lenses, some were cheap and very good (such as the widerama YS 3.2/18, the superwide II, or the 90/2.8 macro), others were extremely bad. With some manufacturers it's really about luck.
Anyway, this particular lens, seems to be much better than all the zooms in this range I've tried, at a first impression (more testing is needed to be sure) I'd rate it even better than the viv series 1 70/210 i had, which was already good.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent pictures! Yes, this zoom performs very well and has a close focusing distance to 0.8m (I think) which is a great achievement.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Aanything"]
Attila wrote:

Thanks.
I have mixed experience with sigma lenses, some were cheap and very good (such as the widerama YS 3.2/18, the superwide II, or the 90/2.8 macro), others were extremely bad. With some manufacturers it's really about luck.
Anyway, this particular lens, seems to be much better than all the zooms in this range I've tried, at a first impression (more testing is needed to be sure) I'd rate it even better than the viv series 1 70/210 i had, which was already good.

It's funny that you mention the Vivitar because I have an opportunity to get one. I'm mulling over the decision to buy it or not. It might be better for me stick with prime good name lenses.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="parabellumfoto"]
Aanything wrote:
Attila wrote:

Thanks.

It's funny that you mention the Vivitar because I have an opportunity to get one. I'm mulling over the decision to buy it or not. It might be better for me stick with prime good name lenses.

I sold mine long ago, but I remember it as pretty good.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on a bit of a Tamron kick at the moment, and the SP 's and BBAR series lenses haven't disappointed me at all.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favourite MF zooms Very Happy. I would have used it a lot more if I can install a tripod collar on it because it's really heavy. But I couldn't figure out how to do it. Anyone have ideas? A way that could stabilize the lens without locking the focus?

Good for you to get the hood, I find that it purple fringes quite heavily especially wide open but doesn't affect me much cause I don't use it wide open that much. But still would like to learn if a hood would help on decreasing purple fringing Rolling Eyes .

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruzzo wrote:
One of my favourite MF zooms Very Happy. I would have used it a lot more if I can install a tripod collar on it because it's really heavy. But I couldn't figure out how to do it. Anyone have ideas? A way that could stabilize the lens without locking the focus?

Good for you to get the hood, I find that it purple fringes quite heavily especially wide open but doesn't affect me much cause I don't use it wide open that much. But still would like to learn if a hood would help on decreasing purple fringing Rolling Eyes .

Take a look at this tripod ring ... it should fit this lens as well:
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=58713

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLV: Hi,I have 2 of the Tamron 19AH and also the series 1 vivitar,the Tamron is far superior to Vivitar thats why Viv.price is heading for basement and 19AH is going way up in price,fortunately sold my Viv while price was high.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 19AH is well known as a very sharp lens. The issue I found on digital though was too much purple fringing, so I sold it Sad

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Graham,I do not have problem on either of my 19AH with purple fringing but depending on direction I will shoot I have a collapsable white/black 3ft reflector but then again I mainly shoot macro flora mostly on slightly overcast day.