Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron SP 60-300mm on Tripod with Sigma SD1 Merrill
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Tamron SP 60-300mm on Tripod with Sigma SD1 Merrill Reply with quote

I try to write a short review of this lens:

After reading the description on adaptall-2.org I didn't have high expectations for this lens, but in any case I found the zoom range very useful, so I finally decided to buy this lens. The first handheld shots have been rather unsuccessful, mostly down to me because I mainly shoot wide angle to medium tele lenses and just start getting into longer tele lenses. I decided to buy the tripod ring and give it another go and was very surprised. As long as I managed to nail the focus the results are very good. I know quite some lenses that do not live up to the resolution of the Sigma SD1 and so far it seems to me that this lens is a good match. With the tripod ring on I could only shot around 300mm.

Please find below some pictures of the setup and then some taken with the lens in discussion. Sorry, my local park didn't have any exciting flowers left at this time of the year, so I had to search for alternatives Wink

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's good to see sigma camera, such a rarity Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nurkov wrote:
it's good to see sigma camera, such a rarity Smile

Yes, Sigma cameras are certainly quite niche Smile There is not much choice in terms of adapters for 3rd party lenses ... in this case the Tamron lens is mounted via an M42 adapter. I think there is also a T-mount adapter available (which I have never tried) and a quite unreliable Nikon adapter. Other options are mount replacements (Leica Mount, etc), but I never went down this route as I find it too limiting.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any relation to the Soligor/Vivitar/whatever UMCS 60-300 4-5.6?

That lens is nice up to about 220mm,
it's let's say "more" usable than usual cheap zoom wide open,
however wide open defocus = green/purple spherochromatism

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Tamron SP 60-300mm on Tripod with Sigma SD1 Merrill Reply with quote

diddy wrote:

Please find below some pictures of the setup and then some taken with the lens in discussion. Sorry, my local park didn't have any exciting flowers left at this time of the year, so I had to search for alternatives Wink

The test shots look underexposed, but otherwise, I don't see anything out of order with the lens performance.

I would like to see some 100% crops to gauge the effects of the Foveon technology on sharpness at that level.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens looks almost brand new. Nice.....

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Tamron SP 60-300mm on Tripod with Sigma SD1 Merrill Reply with quote

Laurentiu Cristofor wrote:

The test shots look underexposed, but otherwise, I don't see anything out of order with the lens performance.

Yes, true, it's a bit underexposed.
Laurentiu Cristofor wrote:

I would like to see some 100% crops to gauge the effects of the Foveon technology on sharpness at that level.

I uploaded the pics here full size. You can find some more of my pics on http://www.flickr.com/photos/diddy (there are a few with the Canon 5D as well which I had for a short time).

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjs wrote:

Yes, it's a very nice version of the lens, I was lucky to get it. I have to take great care with the tripod ring because when the focusing ring comes down it hits the tripod ring base.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diddy wrote:
drjs wrote:

Yes, it's a very nice version of the lens, I was lucky to get it. I have to take great care with the tripod ring because when the focusing ring comes down it hits the tripod ring base.

yes, it appears you cannot get the full widest angle (60mm) range of the lens with the tripod ring attached. I owned this lens for a short while but I sold it because my example had too much geometric distortion at 60mm, does yours have the same anomaly?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:

yes, it appears you cannot get the full widest angle (60mm) range of the lens with the tripod ring attached. I owned this lens for a short while but I sold it because my example had too much geometric distortion at 60mm, does yours have the same anomaly?

To be honest I haven't tested this lens yet at 60mm ... I was more interested how it performed at 300mm. I'll try to find some time in the next few weeks to take some pictures at 60mm and will let you know then.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buerokratiehasser wrote:
Any relation to the Soligor/Vivitar/whatever UMCS 60-300 4-5.6?

That lens is nice up to about 220mm,
it's let's say "more" usable than usual cheap zoom wide open,
however wide open defocus = green/purple spherochromatism

I don't think they are related ... I did a search for the Soligor and Vivitar and they look quite different to the Tamron one.