Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD 85mm f1.8 S.C.C
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Canon FD 85mm f1.8 S.C.C Reply with quote

I think this lens is stunning , good as than most 85mm what I did try, CA control may less good as than old Germans.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see any pictures. Am I missing something? Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't publish pics just start a conversation,here is link from yesterday

http://forum.mflenses.com/canon-fd-85mm-f1-8-s-c-c-portraits-t58889.html

I will publish some more made in great light.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like someone highjacked Attila's account Laughing

I won't disagree with OP though. Yeah, there is some CA wide-open, that's the price for improved contrast that you have to pay with fast non-aspherics. Older lenses (or something like J-9) have very little CA, but you pay for it with lower contrast and probably a bit of resolution due to spherical aberrations.
Canon FD 85mm f1.8 SSC

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody tell us the image taken with j9 with contrast added in pp has the same contrast that the taken with the canon one, but less CA?

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR.JUAN wrote:
Does anybody tell us the image taken with j9 with contrast added in pp has the same contrast that the taken with the canon one, but less CA?

I confirm it, contrast excellent with PP, especially with RF lenses and usually no or minimal CA.

Fermy, lovely colorful autumn shoot, big mushroooom Shocked

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens is the "dad" of the EF 85/1.8, which is one of the very few (in my opinion) great lenses in Canon's autofocus line.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't do any test-chart like comparison, but FD definitely feels sharper than J-9. I doubt you can compensate for this with postprocessing. J-9 is sharp enough for portraits, FD is a better allarounder.

Attila, thanks. The mushroom was tasty too Very Happy. That was taken during our autumn vacation in Harz mountains, a very nice place.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
I didn't do any test-chart like comparison, but FD definitely feels sharper than J-9. I doubt you can compensate for this with postprocessing. J-9 is sharp enough for portraits, FD is a better allarounder.

Attila, thanks. The mushroom was tasty too Very Happy. That was taken during our autumn vacation in Harz mountains, a very nice place.

Yes, Germany is awesome , especially country side at south.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:

Attila, thanks.

I had several j-9 over the years, none of them rf one.

At f/8 it's very sharp. Correct pp in contrast and balancing white, and you will have a very nice lens "standart" image. Very sharp and high contrast one.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RF lenses are better, more sharp , more contrast especially old ones, before 1960. I did try I think all version , all kind of RF, SLR. RF lenses best copies are close to this Canon and no or minimal CA and I think this Canon is a very good , excellent lens.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My J-9 is Kiev/Contax mount. It does not need to be stopped to F8. In fact, I don't think I ever shot it at F8, just never had light for that. But I don't think FD will show CA at F8 either, I think it's pretty much gone at f2.8 or so.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
My J-9 is Kiev/Contax mount. It does not need to be stopped to F8. In fact, I don't think I ever shot it at F8, just never had light for that. But I don't think FD will show CA at F8 either, I think it's pretty much gone at f2.8 or so.

Indeed , no CA above f2.8 surely. What is year of your J-9 ?

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's from 1982 according to the serial.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
It's from 1982 according to the serial.

New , not same good than old ones , I think my new lens date is 1976. Try to have oldest as possible if you see any. My best copies are made in 1956 and 1957, I have one made in 1955 that is less than 1957 lens.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am happy with my J9 Wink , for portraits it might be my favorite tele. Sure, if I see an early one for cheap, I'll try to snap it. Still doubt that it will be able to match later optics (such as this FD, or Contax G Sonnar, or C-Elmar) for all-around use, with coating and all making a serious jump in 70-80.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't need to be match enough if makes your happy Very Happy after several hundred lens I still have some favorite, rarely based on MTF charts, best coating etc Laughing

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the lens does not need to be the best at everything to be enjoyed. With such a choice of lenses as we have, they are more like paint brushes and the favorite one is not always the one with the finest hair...

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Yeah, the lens does not need to be the best at everything to be enjoyed. With such a choice of lenses as we have, they are more like paint brushes and the favorite one is not always the one with the finest hair...

Exactly we are lucky really we can afford much more than even before.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too like the SSC 85/1.8, it's size is a touch bigger than the 24/2.8 & the 50/1.4, together they make a nice trio.
True the CA is fairly pronounced, it's not the worst I've seen, and with LR's CA tool it's not much of an issue any more.
IMO, its a great deal, and hard to beat for the $.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
I too like the SSC 85/1.8, it's size is a touch bigger than the 24/2.8 & the 50/1.4, together they make a nice trio.
True the CA is fairly pronounced, it's not the worst I've seen, and with LR's CA tool it's not much of an issue any more.
IMO, its a great deal, and hard to beat for the $.

+1 this is my conclusion , I did suggest to my friend who did kindly lend me this lens to try, keep it rather than sell it.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
This lens is the "dad" of the EF 85/1.8, which is one of the very few (in my opinion) great lenses in Canon's autofocus line.

+1 !
(If you're a Canon AF user, don't bother with any MF 85mm lens)
And it's predecessor (ssc), the FL one is already a very fine optic as it's the RF version in SLR disguise Wink

Last edited by Phenix jc on Sun May 26, 2013 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:

+1. Definitively.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two of the Canon FDn 85mm F1.8

The Canon FDn 85mm F1.8 and the Canon FD SSC 85mm F1.8 have the same optical formula, and being the newer lens, the FDn has the same or slightly better SSC coatings.
It's a very nice lens!!

The newest one I picked up only last Saturday, and cost me 4500 Yen (about 35 EUR or $45 USD).

It has a small amount of fungus towards the sides that requires cleaning. I'm intending to convert the mount to either M42, Nikon or Canon EF.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bargain congrats!