Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Considering a CY mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Considering a CY mount Reply with quote

Sub Ł50 should get me one of the yashicas in good nick, maybe even a contax, but which one, I have my eye on the FR I, but there is the FXD and maybe even the Contax 139Q does anyone have a recomendation?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering a CY mount Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:
Sub Ł50 should get me one of the yashicas in good nick, maybe even a contax, but which one, I have my eye on the FR I, but there is the FXD and maybe even the Contax 139Q does anyone have a recomendation?

I've only handled C/Y stuff, not used in anger. The 139 handles well but is quite small. I've not used the Yashica FXD but the FX3-Super was quite nice. Personally I'd be tempted to stretch budget just a little and go for the original RTS which is beautifully made.

Orio or Poillu are better sources of advice.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Orio or Poillu are better sources of advice

I have 'only' the RTSIII and the 167 so I could not give good advice.
Why not get something like a canon 50e for Ł29.00, you will have focus confirm and eye control
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob
There are so many choices in this mount. Try and think of how you will use it. The FX3 is lightweight and fully mechanical. The battery only is for the meter. One other cool feature is mirror lock up. When you use the self timer the mirror locks up before the shutter is released. Try and find the latest build you can (fx3 2000). All of the FR cameras are great. I have a FR and FR one purchased in the 80's. Both work perfectly but for the counters which always fail in these models. The FR line is battery dependent as is the Contax rts. The RTS and FR1 are functional twins. The layout of the RTS is nicer however. I like the shutter speed control on the LH side of the body. This way you left hand controls all exposure and focus. If you want more automation and TTL flash skip all the way to the 167. Earlier models are not worthe messing with (139,159,137md etc). Contax added spot metering and exposure bracketing with the 167 and it is a great cam. You can still find them for under $100 on us ebay. Of course all the later models are great and fully loaded. Hope that helps. BTW an fx3 2000 usually sells for under $25. It is a great cam for so cheap and of course fully mechanical has some big advantages as well.

Andy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT THE CANONS FOR A WHILE NOW AND i MAY WELL GO DOWN THAT ROUTE TOO, BUT I (sorry for the caps) only have one EFS sigma lens and I dont want the expense of buying into good canon galss. So my plan is to nativley mount my yashica MLs and possibly get an M42 to CY adaptor so I can use my other lenses. Mainly I want to try and get some wide lenses so I can get "real" wide pictures in mono and maybe some infra red. The canons look very plasticy and I have read lots of repair stories of diles and shutters failing after they get old. I may well look at the EOS 1N one day but for now I think I will start with the CY. I like the sound of the RTS with its ruggedness and the history surrounding it. And it may well fall in my budget. Can you recommend the RTS1 over the other yash and contaxes? Cant stretch to the RTS 2 Embarassed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FX2 or FX3 are solid Yashica cameras that will serve well.
If you have some more money my advice is for the Contax 167 MT, which is the best of the affordable Contaxes (The RTS III , AX etc. are very expensive).

I don't advice a Canon camera if you want to shoot Contax/Yashica lenses.
First you will have the same possible infinity problems that some CY lenses have with some adapters.
In some cases also the mirror may not be cleared.
And some cameras will not support all chipped adapters. E.G. my Canon 50e works well with Leica adapters but does not like Contax adapters.

I would stay on the safe side and buy a FX Yashica or a 167 MT Contax.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orio I will give the 167MT some thought it seems a well specced camera
http://www.cdegroot.com/photo-contax-167mt/

Says
Quote:
LENS MOUNT: Contax/Yashica mount. Makes use of MM lens shutter priority.

I take it there is no problem with CY on MM mount?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv6-AB7VJ7k Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:
Thanks Orio I will give the 167MT some thought it seems a well specced camera
http://www.cdegroot.com/photo-contax-167mt/

Says
Quote:
LENS MOUNT: Contax/Yashica mount. Makes use of MM lens shutter priority.

I take it there is no problem with CY on MM mount?

The MM or multi mode is not really a different mount, just the automatic support for all the exposure programs that the camera offers, instead of the only aperture-priority mode that the AE could offer. On the practical side this means only the presence of a little lever (I think). Both AE and MM are to be considered as Contax-Yashica mount.

-

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay um... slight change of plan, the contax will have to wait for another time... Do you ever find your self thinking, I wont win this someone's bound to out bid me... Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Bob, let's put it this way: if it will be compatible, it will be a great purchse, while should the camera not reveal itself to be compatible with the adapters, you would not lose much money, and also, you could try to grind the mirror in case, without too much fear of making costly damage.
So a win-win situation, or at worst a win-notlosetoomuch situation! Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Bob I cannot believe it
Is the EF 50mm f/1.4 included in the price Shocked
I use all my contax lens on my Eos 3 without any problem
You will get very pleased, the focus confirm is dead on with pro camera
Happy sharp shots Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I phoned in advance and there is no lens included Confused but you never know it is a company who sell other peoples stuff if it turns up its a bonus. If I dont like it/doesn't work I can say that the listing was incorrect.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens is listed, they are cheaters, tell them that you expect the lens or they will be reported to Ebay.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they say return the camera for a refund. May be worth a try if they have it, but I am not holding my breath.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: yashica contax - eos Reply with quote

if you are interested, I have few yashica fr1 bodies, and few yashica and contax lenses for sale. It is one of the best solutions if you want to ude manual lenses on eos canons.
b. regards
adam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome here Adam!

You can publish your gears in Marketplace section I hope it will help to sell them. I love Yashica ML lenses too I am curious what kind of lenses do you have on sale.