Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Remove background
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Remove background Reply with quote

I have very basic studio set, three old flashes with trigger + background canvas , certainly not enough white and clean.

To remove and replace background is essential but not easy finally I found an almost working tutorial Smile

http://easytweaks.wordpress.com/2011/04/16/remove-background-around-hair-in-photoshop/

http://www.sitepoint.com/masking-techniques-photoshop/

Carl Zeiss Distagon 35mm f1.4

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, Chris looks good as a redhead Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing thx!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, I think that your natural light portraits are miles better. Completely white background is a bit distracting and the light is harsh and uninteresting and screams "Flash".

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you did a good job dont get me wrong but it does not look natural

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, right , not looks natural , here key was to remove background and try what can we do with flashes.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried to put one flash behind person and lit up background so it looks like white?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, good hints!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

done it before works like a dream just need a wireless flash

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nurkov wrote:
done it before works like a dream just need a wireless flash

Cool , how about light on face one flash from front , others behind canvas ?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit over-lit for me - it's the shadows that define a face and you've lit the subject to remove almost all of them. Are these bare flash? the shadow that is left (under her chin) has a hard edge.

With three lights I'd probably have used one for the background, one with a soft-box for the key at about 45-degrees to the line of the camera and the third as a rim light from behind. If you wanted to fill the shadows a bit, you could keep the set-up the same but use a reflector to bounce some of the key light back as fill light.

Have you found the Strobist 101? - I used that to learn a lot about lighting.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you George, I have zero experience to work with flashes. I will try to do better next time.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a bad start. I only started with off-camera flash a couple of years ago. And I stick to budget gear - my first choice flashguns are old Canon 430EZs. To reduce the harshness of the shadow you make the light source bigger - it's the same reason bouncing flash off the ceiling works. The easiest way is to bounce the flash off a large piece of white board.

The low key shot is very much in fashion. So much so that in the UK the blown white background has got a bit of a reputation as the "chav-ground" ("chav" being a term of mild abuse for the sort of person that likes flash cars with loud exhausts, big flashy jewellery, etc).

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again especially for English terms, great help to seek information.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since your purpose was to make a shot for good separation from background, you have had success indded.
The background is well lit, uniformly (this is important)

The problem in the image is the quality of light, it is very hard. You can tell it by the shape of the shadow, under her chin.
This type of lighting is good for objects (example: jewels), but bad for persons (especially females).
Result is that what wanted to be a beauty shot, becomes a mug shot (police photo)

To shoot this type of beauty shot, of female, white background, you need very large, very soft lights.
It is possible to obtain it with flashes, but you need diffusers.
Diffusers can be softboxes (best) can be umbrellas, or can also be large linen white sheets, if you don't want to spend
money for softboxes, you can use a background stand in front of the flashes, with a white linen sheet hanging from it
flash light will be diffused by the linen sheet.

Also recommended, to place your flash lights as close as possible to the subject.

Another recommendation: for fill light, it's much better to use a reflector panel than another flash.
No need to buy expensive commercial panels, you can make them home made easily with cheap materials.

My final suggestion is: start working with only ONE flash, as main light, set up as I indicated above (as close as possible to subject, and diffused by a large surface),
and for the other lights, use panels only instead of flashes
Then experiment with all possible positions of the one flash + panels.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks, Orio!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody try chromakey green screen for background? Then can change background to anything...

Black background might be very interesting! Colors pop

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Anybody try chromakey green screen for background? Then can change background to anything...

Can you show me any article about Chroma Key ?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

Can you show me any article about Chroma Key ?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_key

Google show some youtube results.

Photo shops sell chromakey backdrop cloths.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb hint!!! Many thanks!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
The problem in the image is the quality of light, it is very hard. You can tell it by the shape of the shadow, under her chin.
This type of lighting is good for objects (example: jewels), but bad for persons (especially females).
Result is that what wanted to be a beauty shot, becomes a mug shot (police photo)

Some mug shots are better than others..

http://www.strobist.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/sbpd-booking-mug-booth-is-pretty-good.html

The bible for photography lighting is Light, Science and Magic. It's very good and covers how to light most types of subject.