Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

1940s-Style Shoot
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: 1940s-Style Shoot Reply with quote

These are from a promo shoot I did for an amateur film-maker who is making a documentary which follows the demise of a young lady. The look is supposed to that of 40s images, but some I made even more vintage as I suspect that not everyone had a new camera and to make it look less obvious that these were all shot the same day.

Model: Liz Stewart
Canon 5Dmkii & Canon 24-70 F2.8 L

RosemaryPromo_130421_22 by martinsmith99, on Flickr

RosemaryPromo_130421_24 by martinsmith99, on Flickr

RosemaryPromo_130421_50 by martinsmith99, on Flickr

RosemaryPromo_130421_36 by martinsmith99, on Flickr

RosemaryPromo_130421_05 by martinsmith99, on Flickr

RosemaryPromo_130421_35 by martinsmith99, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did a SUPER job with the poses, Martin!
Excellent series.

Instead of going for the perfect mimickry, why not use the poses of the 40s, but with the colours instead?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Excellent series.

Instead of going for the perfect mimickry, why not use the poses of the 40s, but with the colours instead?

Thanks Orio

I do still have the RAW files, but the client wanted only B&W.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really great shots and superb pp

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good shots and processing, although they look too sharp to be anything but modern.

I think #3 gets the closest to the period feel for me, although #5 is the only one where she looks at the camera and in almost all the snap shots that I've seem of the era the subjects are almost always looking at the camera.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent effort, i agree with the poster above, maybe they are a bit too sharp. It would help also, if you could add an "object" from the forties, like a vintage motorcycle, an old radio and so on...and include it in the pics.

Edit: A vintage camera from the forties? Smile

Tomas

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:
Excellent effort, i agree with the poster above, maybe they are a bit too sharp. It would help also, if you could add an "object" from the forties, like a vintage motorcycle, an old radio and so on...and include it in the pics.
Edit: A vintage camera from the forties? Smile
Tomas

Well, if complete believability was the goal, then the use of B&W film would have been mandatory.
But I seem to understand that it was not the main purpose.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeSalt wrote:
Very good shots and processing, although they look too sharp to be anything but modern.

H'mm that would assume everyone had a crap camera in the past.....the old Hollywood shots of actors and actresses were fantastic.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Excellent series.

+1! Lovely.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
GeorgeSalt wrote:

H'mm that would assume everyone had a crap camera in the past.....the old Hollywood shots of actors and actresses were fantastic.

There's an edge-to-edge sharpness from a modern top-end lens that's rarely seen in 1940's shots and probably wasn't considered desirable if it could be achieved.

More of the client brief would need to be known - but these are too sharp across the frame for family snaps on a vintage 35mm, and too obviously digital full-frame compared to large format (Hollywood portrait style) or medium format (1940s enthusiast, or box brownie).

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeSalt wrote:

I think #3 gets the closest to the period feel for me, although #5 is the only one where she looks at the camera and in almost all the snap shots that I've seem of the era the subjects are almost always looking at the camera.

Indeed. There is also probably too much contrast for a lens of that period, but I had to strike a balance between quality images for the client and authentic shots.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin, if you don't mind I'd be interested to know the brief from the client - really just if it was a vague "make it look 1940s" or whether there was enough of a legend to define how that look should work? - a series of family snapshots, professional portraits, etc.? I'm particularly intrigued by the lack of eye contact from the subject which in my experience is very unusual for the period for snapshots (although not for formal studio portraits) - was this something the client specified?

(my personal interest in faux photography is generally 1860-1980, but I find faux photography of any era interesting)