Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Feedback on these Soligor lenses please
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject: Feedback on these Soligor lenses please Reply with quote

As above.

1. 70-220mm 3.5 macro sn 17606680

2. 135mm 2.8 sn 273101

I've added the serial numbers because from what I've read, Soligor doesn't have their own manufacturing facilities and the the serial number can help identify the original manufacturer.

Thank you very much!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome mrjayviper

The zoom is by Tokina in 1976. The prime by Sun in 1973. Tokina lenses generally are very well regarded.

The manufacturer/serial number list is near the end of http://forum.mflenses.com/soligor-12-8-f28mm-21and-versions-t30866.html

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Feedback on these Soligor lenses please Reply with quote

Hi, mrjayviper.

Soligor's 70-220mm was intended to compete with Vivitar Series 1 zooms. So it was a higher end lens for its time.
I've owned several 70-220s and build quality is excellent, but optical quality varies among my copies.

It's been some time since I've shot with a 70-220, but as I recall, my best copy was reasonably sharp with average contrast.
The reason I collected several copies is that I like the solid build and heft of these lenses.

But beware of haze! Most of my 70-220s have had internal haze which would diminish contrast.
Although, many zoom lenses from that era which I've tried have had haze - no matter the brand.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Feedback on these Soligor lenses please Reply with quote

mrjayviper wrote:
As above.

1. 70-220mm 3.5 macro sn 17606680

2. 135mm 2.8 sn 273101

I've added the serial numbers because from what I've read, Soligor doesn't have their own manufacturing facilities and the the serial number can help identify the original manufacturer.

Thank you very much!

1-70-220mm 3.5 macro : Tokina made lens to compete the kino/vivitar S1 70-210mm 3.5 (1st version)

Soligor sold it in 2 versions : C/D with glossy finish or non C/D without glossy finish (the most usual version)
It seems exist in 2 versions : Tokina with 16 elements / Soligor with 15 elements (or was that difference a mistake in printed leaflets ?? perhaps but tokina has many lenses with the unusual 16 elements scheme)

I had the Soligor 70/220mm non c/d: The lens is very heavy :>1.2kgs / The macro reach the 1:1.4 ratio but is unuseable (object nearly touch the front lens) / Contrast low to medium
2- 135mm 2.8 lens : Sun lenses of that period usually crap to poor iq

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Sun made Chinon 200mm 3.5 That is built Tank-like and is sharp wide open.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
I have a Sun made Chinon 200mm 3.5 That is built Tank-like and is sharp wide open.

Are you sure that it was a sun made lens ? Most chinon are cimko (mixed quality) or tomioka (top quality) made

The sun production before 1979/1980 was built as a tank buit and of very good iq
The Sun made lenses after that period (sold by soligor, osawa..) were well manufactured (but not as as thank) but iq was poor to medium

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:
D1N0 wrote:

Are you sure that it was a sun made lens ? Most chinon are cimko (mixed quality) or tomioka (top quality) made

The sun production before 1979/1980 was built as a tank buit and of very good iq
The Sun made lenses after that period (sold by soligor, osawa..) were well manufactured (but not as as thank) but iq was poor to medium

This one:
Auto-Chinon 200mm F/1:3.5 by The lens profile, on Flickr

The shape of the a/m switch and reverse aperture ring direction identify it as Sun I think.