Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Guess what I bought for £2.97 ($4.54)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Guess what I bought for £2.97 ($4.54) Reply with quote

So here we have my 3 latest purchases:

Exakta mount-
E. Ludwig Meritar 2.9/5 0 c/w rear cap & UV filter
Steinheil Munchen Culmigon 1:4.5 f=35mm c/w front & rear caps

M42 mount-
Super-Takumar 1:3.5/135 c/w original lens hood & rear cap

I really like all 3 lenses and so far they have produced great photo's.

So, any guesses as to what cost £2.97 ($4.54).

And of course thoughts on the lenses.

Last edited by zelda_n64 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:08 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meritar is a triplet, I like mine, wide open it's a bit soft but has swirly bokeh so good for artictic shots, stopped down it performs well.

Culmigon is not common in UK, congrats on finding that, don't know how it performs.

Takumar will be very good and sharp, I have used one but it was 20-odd years ago. Congrats on the right hood for it, those cost more than the lens on ebay these days.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just one word to say. . .SCORE!

Where did you get them?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, that's robbery! Laughing
Well done, that is a good score. I love my old 135 Takumar, it might be slow but it is good. Cool

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments.

These were purchased in a little shop (Southwest UK) that is in a fairly large seaside town.

I decided to pop into town on Good Friday rather than the Saturday, (I pop into this shop once a week) and what should I see - all the above.

The Super-Takumar was in a locked glass cabinet, so I asked to have a look, saw what it was, the condition was excellent and thought that's coming home with me.

As I looked around, there was a camera bag on the floor, so I opened it up, low and behold it had old camera items in it. As I looked through the broken flashes etc. The 2N silver lenses popped into view. Although grubby they looked old, but I put them back.##

Looking around no other items took my fancy (not much camera gear this week!) so was off to the till to pay for the Tak. As I walked past the camera bag, I looked again, I couldn't make out the mount at the time on the 2 silver coloured lenses, but something inside said buy them they may fit the E-adaptor, if they don't put them on that auction site.

When I got to the till, the assistant saw the Takumar price and entered it into the till (99 pence/ $1.51), he then saw the price on the Steinheil (99 pence/ $1.51), and then the Meritar (99 pence/ $1.51).

I also purchased a working Leningrad 4 light meter with case from the same bag (99 pence/ $1.51).

In total I had spent £3.96 ($6.05) and I felt pretty pleased that I had a Super-Takumar for my M42 mount.

When I got home, and discovered the 2 silver lenses indeed did fit the E-adaptor I needed to sit down with shock. I then spent the afternoon gently cleaning off the muck (about 4 hours).

These won't be sold and will get used (results I will post here), and hopefully you will agree they compliment my Pentax K-x.

A good Friday indeed!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes you just want a lens that looks good on your camera - I am liking the industrial aluminium look of the culmigon Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basilisk, indeed, it does also look good, you can see it attached to my Pentax K-x here:

http://forum.mflenses.com/my-latest-purchase-steinheil-munchen-35mm-14-5-t58104.html

I will post pictures on the weekend of it in action.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a bargain! Congrats!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks LucisPictor !