Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best fast 35mm lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Best fast 35mm lenses Reply with quote

I want to buy a fast 35mm for NEX again
I was thinking about CZJ Tevidon 35mm F1.9, CZ Biogon 35/2, CZ Planar 35/2, Canon FD 35/2, Samyang 35/1.4...
any further recommendations?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konica Hexanon AR 2/35.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Takumar 35/2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voigtländer Ultron 1.7/35
Nikkor 2/35 (if size doesn't matter)

I will be able to test the very new SLR Magic Cine 1.4/35 soon (in about two weeks) and report here as well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for Tevidon 35mm f1.9 , quiet possible sharpest lens wide open with stunning contrast what I ever have, including 35mm f1.4 Distagon.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have takumar 35/2 and mir 24: they're both lenses I love, with a slight preference for the mir, but I doubt they're on par with the biogon. I've seen impressive samples (I think on this forum as well) from distagon 35/2 ZS.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon FL 2.5/35 is fantastic and dirt cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried the next 35 f2 lenses: Nikkor AI (2 copies), Pentax K (2 copies), Pentax M, Canon FD chrome nose and SSC (Concave), Canon FD SSC (Convex), Canon FDn and Olympus OM. Flektogons too but they are slower (3 copies).

The best for my taste is the Canon series. My personal favorite are the Concave versions of the Canon FD because of its bokeh, but you can't go wrong with any of them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my dream manual 35mm is
Samyang 35mm 1.4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The planar for sure is good.
I think you had some Contax G lenses already so you don't need to be convinced lot. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rafa1981 wrote:
I have tried the next 35 f2 lenses: Nikkor AI (2 copies), Pentax K (2 copies), Pentax M, Canon FD chrome nose and SSC (Concave), Canon FD SSC (Convex), Canon FDn and Olympus OM. Flektogons too but they are slower (3 copies).

The best for my taste is the Canon series. My personal favorite are the Concave versions of the Canon FD because of its bokeh, but you can't go wrong with any of them.

I did try also Canon and confirm it excellent lens even at wide open.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depend from your budget , difficult to beat Zeiss lenses...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super expensive, stellar IQ: Leica-M Summilux 35/1.4 Asph
Very expensive, stellar IQ: Leica-M Summicron 35/2 Asph
Very expensive, excellent IQ: Contax 35/1.4 Distagon
Expensive, excellent IQ: Voigtländer 35/1.2
Expensive, excellent IQ: Leica-M Summicron 35/2 (pre-Asph)
Bad ergonomics but very good IQ: Contax G 35/2 Planar (almost identical to pre-Asph Summicron)
Very rare, great IQ: Fujinon 35/1.9
Less expensive, very nice rendering: Hexanon 35/2

I don't know about the other lenses mentioned since I have tried them or read up upon them.

Last edited by Pontus on Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:31 pm; edited 6 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta mc Rokkor 35 f1.8

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Distagon pc 2.8/35?
Laughing

Hey, all lenses are mentioned.

Canon fd 35/2. Have 3.

Last edited by hoanpham on Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:38 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another plug for Flektogon 35 f2.4
Would be nice if a bit faster, but given its fantastic close focus capabilities, you can still get plenty of OOF goodness

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best 35mm lenses are thorium Nikkor-N 35/1.4 and Canon FDn 35mm/f2, I prefer both to zebra Flektogon. For all around shooting FDn IMHO is an optimal choice since it's relatively small and light with excellent IQ right from get go. Nikkor is also great IQ-wise, especially if you stop it down, but it's a hand grenade.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basilisk wrote:
Another plug for Flektogon 35 f2.4
Would be nice if a bit faster, but given its fantastic close focus capabilities, you can still get plenty of OOF goodness

Welcome!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at SLR Magic Cine T0.95 also. Haven't found stopped down comparison e.g. f4-f8 though.

http://www.3d-kraft.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=134:conquering-the-darkness-with-slr-magic-hyperprime-cine-35mm-t095&catid=40:camerasandlenses&Itemid=2

Also consider reading

http://www.3d-kraft.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=131:roundup-of-interesting-gear-coming-2013&catid=40:camerasandlenses&Itemid=2

There are some very interesting lenses coming!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why are people overlooking the Rokinon 35mm? I think it's still sharp even wide open. It's probably my most favorite lens.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor Nguyen wrote:
why are people overlooking the Rokinon 35mm? I think it's still sharp even wide open. It's probably my most favorite lens.

I think it wasn't overlooked, it just was called "samyang" - same lens afaik.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Samyang 35/1.4 is also bulky, heavy when use with a nex body.

Also depends on when one really needs to use f1.4.
Personally, I am ok with f2 as compromise between fast, size and weight.
The semi plastic canon fd 35/2 is what I am using most on the nex.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Welcome!

Thanks for the kind greeting. I must say this forum seems a lot better tempered than some of those out there (no names mentioned!) and there seems to be great expertise and passion for the subject among members.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of the lenses you mentioned I have 3 - CZ 35/2 ZM, Canon FD 35/2 (chrome nose) and Samyang 35/1.4.

If you want speed badly, the last one is the best choice. It is optically a great lens, but a whopping beast in size, and that can be a hassle.

The Zeiss is the most expensive (~$700) but probably the best choice, all considered. Very sharp, nice colours and pop. Bokeh can be a little busy, but not bad. It's the smallest, neatest lens of the bunch and feels nicer than the Samyang.

Canon is a good lens and the bargain of the lot (~$200). It is an older lens and the coatings are not as good as the other ones, so flare will be an issue.

Another option if you like fast lenses is the Voigtlander 35/1.2 which is very nice.

If you consider the Speedbooster than you have many 50mm that you can use and get the same FL as a 33mm through a normal adapter. This opens up heaps of possibilities from Nikon, Leica, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
Super expensive, stellar IQ: Leica-M Summilux 35/1.4 Asph....

+100.

I had it for very short time.

Really, any time (years yet) is excesive short to enjoy it.

If you find it and can purchase, DO IT !!!!!