Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Better alternatives to OM 55 1.2 and the Helios 40-2?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Better alternatives to OM 55 1.2 and the Helios 40-2? Reply with quote

Hey guys, two questions:

1. Better alternative to Helios 40-2?
I'm selling my 85mm Samyang to get the Helios 40-2 for it's bokeh, just wondering if there's something better that I've not heard about?
(I like the strong bokeh shapes it creates)

2. Better alternative to my silver tipped OM 55mm f1.2?
It's my fave lens but I'd rather something not radioactive and I'm wondering if there's something nice to replace it with? (1.4 or 1.2)

(Shooting 5D3 and need to stay within the same price range of those lenses)
Thanks everyone!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind the radioactivity. It's not harmful at all. You'll receive more radiation from your normal surroundings than from this lens.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i've heard it's not harmful.
It's still a bit soft in high contrast shots so I was wondering if there's something better.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read here and there that a Pentax A f1.2/50, for a f1.2/50 is hard to beat for wide open sharpness, but then I am a real fan of Pentax glass and might have not read those comments which favor another Wink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice thanks i'll check it out

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta MD 50/1.2 is much better than the OM 55/1.2 and can be converted to EOS
Radioactivity of these lenses is only harmful when you mill and ingest them

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was never bog fond of Helios-40-2 I kept cheaper Helios 40 due no big difference, Pentax 1.2 is sharpest from all lens what I try, no CA
Tomioka almost same sharp with little CA, Nikon , Konica less sharp , but buttery smooth bokeh.
In 70-90mm range many , many good lens available

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like nervous and swirly bokeh than Samyang 85 is not for you. It is too modern and smooth in character.

A better alternative of 40-2 is it's original - Biotar 75 1.5. There are other great lenses but all are more expensive and cannot be attached to DSLR without many modifications many of them cannot be attached at all. There is one more - the CZJ Pancolar 80 1.8, I think that's all.
About 50mm 1.2 - SMC Pentax A 50 1.2 is great, another good 1.2 is Minolta Rokkor 58 1.2 older version. The best 1.2 is Noct Nikkor 58 1.2 but it costs more than a lot!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the Canon FL and FD 55mm f/1.2 are actually good performers wide open. I own a copy of each. The non-Aspherical FD 55mm f/1.2 has the same optical formula as the older FL 55mm f/1.2, but I'm guessing the coatings on the FD are better. As far as getting them to perform well wide open, you just have to get used to the paper-thin depth of field, which can take a while, I've found. Conversion to EOS mount is not very difficult, and works much better than going with an FD-EOS adapter. Those adapters can't handle lenses that are faster than f/4 very well.

Here's a pic I shot with my FL 55mm f/1.2 @ f/1.2, using an FD-EOS adapter with the glass element removed, on my Canon XS (1000D):

Bokeh are soft and creamy. And even thought the focus looks soft in the above photo, it actually isn't. It's just that the DOF is so shallow that not much of the photo is in the field of focus. In this case, the point of focus were the rose's pistils and/or stamens.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as sharpness/microcontrast is concerned Canon FD 55/1.2 Aspherical is the king (and I have tried Pentax 50/1.2 both A and K and Minolta 58/1.2). As far as bokeh is concerned Canon can be very nervous while Minolta is generally gorgeous but prone to ghosting.

Last edited by DanielT74 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:45 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very much for the information cooltouch.
I can't use FD or Minolta on my Canon though, they don't reach infinity. I definitely don't have the budget or time to open up and try to mod a $600+ lens. I wish I did, there are so many lenses I would want to get if I could. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simbon4o wrote:
If you like nervous and swirly bokeh than Samyang 85 is not for you. It is too modern and smooth in character.

A better alternative of 40-2 is it's original - Biotar 75 1.5. There are other great lenses but all are more expensive and cannot be attached to DSLR without many modifications many of them cannot be attached at all. There is one more - the CZJ Pancolar 80 1.8, I think that's all.
About 50mm 1.2 - SMC Pentax A 50 1.2 is great, another good 1.2 is Minolta Rokkor 58 1.2 older version. The best 1.2 is Noct Nikkor 58 1.2 but it costs more than a lot!

Thanks for the info!
I'm stuck not sure if I want to switch my Samyang to the Helios.
I like the samyang much more for shots focused further away, because when the DOF is not shallow enough the bokeh can look extremely ugly on the Helios, but in some shots it's incredible, ones where the texture and colors work well with the lens.

The Samyang is nice and consistent but just a bit boring. Shot this today on it:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a conversion kit for the FL 55/1.2 and the Rokkor MC PG 58/1.2
I myself love the Rokkor, but there are mirror issues on Canon FF.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitsan wrote:
I can't use FD or Minolta on my Canon though, they don't reach infinity. I definitely don't have the budget or time to open up and try to mod a $600+ lens. I wish I did, there are so many lenses I would want to get if I could. Smile

I believe this is the conversion kit that Lightshow is referring to:

Click here to see on Ebay

Ed Mika has been gaining a solid reputation for building excellent FD-EOS adapters. I own a 55/1.2 FL in cosmetically okay condition. Glass is mint but the body shows wear, and I'm thinking very seriously about buying this kit for mine, since I also have an FD 55/1.2 that I'll be keeping as is for my FD film cameras.

By the way, neither the straight FD 55/1.2 nor the FL will set you back $600+. That price is more in line for a 55mm f/1.2 Aspherical or a 50mm f/1.2 L. You can find the straight 55/1.2 FL for as little as $200 and the FD flavor for not a whole lot more. For example, see:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another alternative for your zuiko, i found my Nikkor-s auto 55mm F1.2 non-ai is good enough.

wide open sample straight from d60.

cropped picture above

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Nitsan wrote:

I believe this is the conversion kit that Lightshow is referring to:

Ed Mika has been gaining a solid reputation for building excellent FD-EOS adapters. I own a 55/1.2 FL in cosmetically okay condition. Glass is mint but the body shows wear, and I'm thinking very seriously about buying this kit for mine, since I also have an FD 55/1.2 that I'll be keeping as is for my FD film cameras.

By the way, neither the straight FD 55/1.2 nor the FL will set you back $600+. That price is more in line for a 55mm f/1.2 Aspherical or a 50mm f/1.2 L. You can find the straight 55/1.2 FL for as little as $200 and the FD flavor for not a whole lot more. For example, see:

Great info and links! Thanks!
Do you think it's worthwhile to get the FDs rather than the OM?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kopi234 wrote:
another alternative for your zuiko, i found my Nikkor-s auto 55mm F1.2 non-ai is good enough.

wide open sample straight from d60.

cropped picture above

nice thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kopi234 wrote:

Good point. Good lens too. Some of the more picky types might describe your Nikkor's bokeh as being "nervous," but I'm not one of them. It's bokeh look just fine to me.

I used to own a late pre-AI Nikkor 55/1.2 (had the rubberized focusing collar). It was a bit soft wide open, although perfectly acceptable for my tastes. They tend to sell for more than the Canons, but I just took a look at the completed listings on eBay. Looks like if you're willing to be patient and bid on an auction instead of a BIN, you can pick one up for a good price.

It's worth noting that, if one goes with a Canon, one must also factor in the cost of conversion, which in the case of the Ed Mika adapter indicated above, adds about another $150 to the cost of the lens. For that sort of premium, if one had to choose between a Canon and a Nikkor, the smart money would go for the Nikkor, unless one were able to DIY the conversion and save a bunch of money, or pick up a Canon for dirt cheap. Which is what I did. I paid $65 for my FL 55/1.2. Bought it from a local camera shop for that price, believe it or don't. So for me, it would make economic sense to go for the Ed Mika adapter, but this won't be the case for everybody.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found my Nikkor S.C 55/1.2 to bloom wide open, great for portraits, not so much for other stuff.
I do like my FL 55/1.2, but I think I like the FL 58/1.2 more.
Re: the conversion, my bad, yes I meant Ed's, but forgot to add the info about it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall blooming flare from my Nikkor wide open -- but its been years since I owned it. It might be that a difference in the coatings may account for this? Dunno.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>@ cooltouch:
you're right, the 55/1.2-s auto bokeh might be a little "nervous" for some people, but it's also not a problem for me.

>>@lightshow:
my 55/1.2 copy perform quite good wide open, but the drawback is very prone to ghosting.
the pictures below i took at WO, no PP straight from d60

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's ghosting in the above two images, my eyes aren't good enough to see it. What I do see is excellent sharpness and good contrast, especially in the second photo.