Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best aperture setting for storing lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Best aperture setting for storing lenses? Reply with quote

On Pentax and some other brand lenses, the aperture is closed when the lens is in storage (off the body).
Im wondering do you all think its better to store the lens with the aperture ring set wide open (closing spring engaged)
or with the aperture ring set to smallest fstop (F32,etc) which puts less stress on the aperture closing spring?
I have been storing my Pentax lenses at smallest fstop for some time now with no problems but just wondered
if there is a consensus on this matter or not. Question

Also on some lenses, like automatic M42 lenses, the aperture is normally open. On these does it not matter what
fstop setting they are stored at because the aperture is always open? Or should they be set wide open or fully
stopped down for long term storage?

Last edited by hifisapi on Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:11 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have almost only m42s and I tend to store them wide open in a transparent box, mainly to let uv light run through the lens and contrast fungi. No problems wit the springs or blades so far.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Best aperture setting for storing lenses? Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
Best aperture setting for storing lenses? should they be set wide open or fully

All stopped down.
I learned that the hard way, with Zeiss Jena lenses. At least 3 of them (maybe more, can't remember) I left wide open in the box,
and when I took them out, after a year or so, the iris could not close, it got stuck to the edge of the barrel.

Aanything wrote:
I tend to store them wide open in a transparent box, mainly to let uv light run through the lens and contrast fungi.

If you store them clean in an airtight plastic box, with a little silica gel inside, fungus will not grow, even in total darkness.
Much worse to leave old blades with old grease squeezed together near metal parts of barrel.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your storing them wide open in the box wouldn't fungus still grow because of the dark? I was told that leaving it outside would do better at perventing the fungus.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikonshooter wrote:
If your storing them wide open in the box wouldn't fungus still grow because of the dark?

No. Darkness is a facilitating factor, but not a necessary one.
Necessary factors are
1- organic dirt with spores
2- humidity
the spores because that's where the fungus is born from, organic dirt because fungus feeds on it, humidity because like all life forms it needs water to grow.
That is the process.
Keeping the lens clean greatly helps, but spores can be invisible, so you can't get total safety by simple cleaning.
The decisive factor is humidity. Control humidity, and you will control fungus, even if there are spores, even if there is dirt, and even if it's dark.
A humidity value between 40% and 55% will ensure that you don't grow fungus in your lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the dirt get inside between the glass? I watched a video on youtube on how optic lens are made, and the process is very sterile. They use optic glue to seal two peices of glass together. I do know that Push/pull lens suck in air as you move the slider back and fouth. But what about primes that is more "sealed". Does fungus occur more in older lens. Also it it true that it eats away at the coating?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Straying off topic Reply with quote

Id like to keep the thread centered on best aperture setting to store lenses, NOT on fungus issues or general storage tips.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if I remember correctly, the A-mount caps make the aperture go open as you screw them on. I don't know why.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buerokratiehasser wrote:
Well if I remember correctly, the A-mount caps make the aperture go open as you screw them on. I don't know why.

Ive never noticed that, but Im not sure any of my caps are "A" mount caps either.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I leave them locked inside this little trunk with 2 packs of Silica-Gel in my living room with a fluorescent light bulb shining on them every night. I hope using these preventive measures they will never get Fungus.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Straying off topic Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
Id like to keep the thread centered on best aperture setting to store lenses, NOT on fungus issues or general storage tips.

That's fair expectation, please keep it on topic.
My also fair expectation is that from now on, you post threads of this subject in the appropriate forum ("Equipment Care and Repairs"). Thanks.
(I have moved the thread).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking from my gut, I would store any lens in a manner which imparts to its mechanisms the least stored energy. That would mean, I believe more often than not, storage with aperture closed to the maximum extent possible. However, exceptions obviously could exist. An examination of the mechanism should provide an answer.

Also from my gut, though, I would store with aperture closed, and in low moisture environment, to minimize blade to blade contact with potential for rust/corrosion/etc. which might result in stickiness or sluggishness.

The fact low moisture also is a negative for fungus is an additional side benefit. But setting aside fungal considerations as the OP has requested, and thinking only of the iris:

metal + moisture + the passage of time can = trouble

This goes double if one happens to be storing the lens in a more corrosive environment, e.g., a seaside home with its "salt air".

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

Aperture blades are stuck on a Pentacon 135mm lens I bought not long ago. I had to take it to a local camera shop to get it repaired. They told me that I should store A/M lenses either in automatic mode, or stopped down. What do you think, which method is better?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yahvel wrote:
I leave them locked inside this little trunk with 2 packs of Silica-Gel in my living room with a fluorescent light bulb shining on them every night. I hope using these preventive measures they will never get Fungus.

Nice collection! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Zeiss (Jena) Service Tech once told me to use the middle aperture setting to store lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Best aperture setting for storing lenses? Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
hifisapi wrote:

All stopped down.
I learned that the hard way, with Zeiss Jena lenses. At least 3 of them (maybe more, can't remember) I left wide open in the box,
and when I took them out, after a year or so, the iris could not close, it got stuck to the edge of the barrel.

Agreed. Very well stated. Here is why:

A stopped down iris minimizes blade-to-blade contact. Wide open iris maximizes that contact. Over time, and in the presence of moisture and/or contaminants, the blades can adhere owing to minute amounts of oxidation/corrosion between the blades and especially at their edges. This tends to bind them together.

Stopped down is the best you can do. It also does not hurt to exercise the iris from time to time, rather than leaving the blades motionless and inactive for protracted periods.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Best aperture setting for storing lenses? Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
Orio wrote:
hifisapi wrote:

All stopped down.

Agreed. Very well stated. Here is why:

A stopped down iris minimizes blade-to-blade contact. Wide open iris maximizes that contact. Over time, and in the presence of moisture and/or contaminants, the blades can adhere owing to minute amounts of oxidation/corrosion between the blades and especially at their edges. This tends to bind them together.

Stopped down is the best you can do. It also does not hurt to exercise the iris from time to time, rather than leaving the blades motionless and inactive for protracted periods.

Thanks for the answers! I would like to preserve these gems for a long time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yahvel wrote:

Put a trustworthy hygrometer to box and look , in my opinion when weather is humid , those two little pack count nothing...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
A Zeiss (Jena) Service Tech once told me to use the middle aperture setting to store lenses.

Good to read, 'cause that's what I do. Wink