Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax Zeiss Distagon 35mm f/1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject: Contax Zeiss Distagon 35mm f/1.4 Reply with quote

My lovely contax distagon 35mm (AEG) encountered a little problem recently.

The front end of the lens barrel (in red) is moving a bit, up and down.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8365/8456793207_327589592f.jpg

It is only the barrel that moves so it doesn't affect photo quality and focusing.

I searched the web about adjusting infinity focus of the lens because it has a bit of focusing issue on my 5Dmk2.

and found the screws under the focusing ring wrap.

There were screws placed around the ring for adjusting the infinity focus but another 2 vertical ones (which I do not have a clue what do they do) and it seems it
has been loosened before, little marks are seen in the picture.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8091/8456793233_6f3db92acb.jpg

Anybody know how to fix this situation or encountered this problem before?

Thanks in advance.Sad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Contax Zeiss Distagon 35mm f/1.4 Reply with quote

poyin wrote:
My lovely contax distagon 35mm (AEG) encountered a little problem recently.

The front end of the lens barrel (in red) is moving a bit, up and down.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8365/8456793207_327589592f.jpg

It is only the barrel that moves so it doesn't affect photo quality and focusing.

I searched the web about adjusting infinity focus of the lens because it has a bit of focusing issue on my 5Dmk2.

and found the screws under the focusing ring wrap.

There were screws placed around the ring for adjusting the infinity focus but another 2 vertical ones (which I do not have a clue what do they do) and it seems it
has been loosened before, little marks are seen in the picture.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8091/8456793233_6f3db92acb.jpg

Anybody know how to fix this situation or encountered this problem before?

Thanks in advance.Sad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know your location , I think better to look a good repair man, 1000 USD + lens fixing not a DIY job, if you don't have near by you and require my help drop me a pm.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Don't know your location , I think better to look a good repair man, 1000 USD + lens fixing not a DIY job, if you don't have near by you and require my help drop me a pm.

I would love to have your help but I'm located in the uk. Will try, thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent you repair man email.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I sent you repair man email.

Thanks. Will enquire about it!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK a little update

i got the ID ring away and indeed there were screws inside but they seem to be quite tight enough and do not need more tightening.

Now

1. should I try to remove more of the screws?
2. anybody got an idea of the screwdriver size of the lens? i searched and it turned out to be a Phillips #00/000 or a JIS screw but I just want to have more confirmative answers

3. the glass will wobble a bit (i mean lens glass, the whole lens) if I gently shake the lens, but i think it is to do with the ID ring removed.

Also a video illustrating the problem

http://www.flickr.com/photos/japkorchiarbo/8488524457/in/photostream

Many thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poyin wrote:

2. anybody got an idea of the screwdriver size of the lens? i searched and it turned out to be a Phillips #00/000 or a JIS screw but I just want to have more confirmative answers
3. the glass will wobble a bit (i mean lens glass, the whole lens) if I gently shake the lens, but i think it is to do with the ID ring removed.

My impression is that you are not really expert and not really knowing what you are doing.
For such a valuable expensive lens I do not recommend that you try to fix it on your own.
A professional repair man who is honest will not take more than 50 Euros to fix your lens, more probably 30-40 Euros.
Ask yourself if it's wise to risk a 1000 Euros value to save the 30-40 Euros of a professional repair.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
poyin wrote:

My impression is that you are not really expert and not really knowing what you are doing.
For such a valuable expensive lens I do not recommend that you try to fix it on your own.
A professional repair man who is honest will not take more than 50 Euros to fix your lens, more probably 30-40 Euros.
Ask yourself if it's wise to risk a 1000 Euros value to save the 30-40 Euros of a professional repair.

Thanks for the advice. True that i'm not an expert hence this post is here (if i am an expert i've already fixed it myself i guess?)
Indeed this lens is valuable so I did not try to make it into a worser condition and consulted a lot of people varying from people that modifies mounts and lens collectors but sadly not much people can help or encountered this problem.

One repair man said he will be willing to fix it (or try to fix it) but I have to post my lens to another country which I am not too willing to do so.

If this problem can be fixed with 30-40 Euros and I AM willing to do so and any recommendations and person to contact are welcomed.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even 200 euros, i would send the lens to professionals.
I am looking for one locally for very long time...