Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron SP 17mm F3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Tamron SP 17mm F3.5 Reply with quote

Some Tamron SP 17/3.5 captures on EOS 5D @f5.6 I guess (click for bigger pic):

Playing old arcade games :

Eating "Galette des Rois" :

Some elecro-music lover left this on a table :

Home made studio for the first brother's studio portrait session
(K10D & mostly MF lenses, I guess he will post some pics soon) :

All those pics have been WB & exposure adjustement but no more.

Bonus shots with S.M.C. Takumar 55/2 (I thought I had taken SMC Takumar 50/1.4 ...) :

Note: flash shots on this gallery were not done by me Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 17mm seems to have a good centre sharpness, limited distortion but quite heavy light drop off at the corners. Certainly not a bad performer for that focal length.

Nice to see a different subject.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard_D wrote:
The 17mm seems to have a good centre sharpness, limited distortion but quite heavy light drop off at the corners. Certainly not a bad performer for that focal length.

Nice to see a different subject.

It does not have heavy light drop off at the corners once closed @f5.6 or more The "studio" room was lightened by a unique fluo tube set at center of the roof; same bad lightening on people shots with only one hallogene lamp and a little bulb for the whole room. I did not shot wide open to increase DOF.

Some pics at daylight show no significant lightoff :
http://forum.mflenses.com/welcome-wide-angle-mf-lenses-t4606.html#37904

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The adaptall website reads:

Quote:
The early version (model 51B) of this lens had built-in filters for black and white photography and thus are highly sought after items.

What exactly is this, built-in filters? I don't have any lens which has this... Confused How much would you pay for this lens? I have seen it for sale in good condition for 175 euro, with Nikon adapter. I'd use it on my D80 and in the near future on my FM2n.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avarage price around 100 GBP

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Built-in filters are a way to put filter on some lenses on which it would be expensive or not easy to do (large or protruding front lens element as fish-eye, ultra wide-angle or big tele) so they are included if the optical path, often on a disc which contains several filters (utral, neyellow, orange, UV, ND ...).
This disc rotate to change the filter. There is a dedicated ring on the lens to choose the inner filter.

I own actually 2 lenses with such feature : this Tamron SP 17/3.5 and a Sigma 16/2.8 fisheye.

Look at this lens, you will see near the top the filters ring selection : http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/lenses/primes/ultra-wide/K15f3.5-ii.html

On this one you will see easily the filters disc because it's big and protrude on the lens side : http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/fisheyes/8mmf28.htm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shots indeed! There is something special to the first "eating" pic. I really like it.

I guess that's a great lens, one to keep your eyes open for...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Carsten ! It's just too bad I've cut some heads on his one...

This Tamron is great, but I don't think it worth the value on cropped sensor, on which a wide angle zoom will do a better job.

Indeed, on a full frame camera (film or digital) it's a real pleasure to use, regarding the ultra wide area covered and the feeling you have. Sure it has some distortion and vignetting, but not that much if you take care of the scene you are shooting. Such a wide angle let you take pics "from inside" as the ones around the coffee table were I was sat as close of it as anybody else.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flor27 wrote:
This Tamron is great, but I don't think it worth the value on cropped sensor, on which a wide angle zoom will do a better job.

Perhaps, I don't know. At least you will get a real wide angle on a crop cam. Wink
But probably you're right, a wide angle zoom will do the job as well.
Crop cams are not meant to be for MF wide angle shots. (My Tokina 12-24 does a great job with the superwides, though. Wink)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
But probably you're right, a wide angle zoom will do the job as well.

I tend to agree about the poor value of manual focus wide angle lenses on crop format cameras. A 20/4 Flektogon shines on a full frame camera but I get better results with the 18/55 kit lens on my Pentax K10d Embarassed.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not really suprising, is it?

To get a very good 20mm lens, you need to look for a while.
But at EOS crop DSLR, it "turns into" a 32mm and there are plenty of excellent 35mm lenses around for much cheaper money because they were easier to calculate.
So you will get pictures of similar quality with a good 35mm on a FF cam and an excellent 20mm on a crop cam - just the 20mm will be a lot more expensive.

The crop zoom lenses were designed to shine on a crop cam - and only there, so that's why you get great results for rather little money.