Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Discussion on wide angle Manual Focus lenses !
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Discussion on wide angle Manual Focus lenses ! Reply with quote

Hi,

I am not a film camera fan, but as I own a 5D, I can use most of the MF lenses at there full initial potential : wider angle, but also vigneting, distortion and CA more visible. So here came for me a new quest for wide angle lenses - I had until now a Pentacon 29mm f/2.8.

But today I've received this little one :

I have to get an adaptall-2 mount to fit on my EOS (M42, Nikon, EOS) but thanks to my brother I will have one this week-end \o/

More info on this lens here : http://adaptall-2.com/lenses/51B.html

Cheers
Florent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations - I think Attila's a fan of that one.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That's a very nice lens to have!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Florent. The Tamron is an honest superwide and one of the most affordable lens in its category. It has also some drawbacks, especially on full frame cameras. First, it is not particularly sharp in the corners until f/8, but this is the case with a lot of ultrawides of retrofocus design. Then, it flares very easily, even if the sun is not directly in the frame -- always keep the sun in your back, like in the good ole times of the uncoated lenses. Last but not least, it has a yellow-greenish color cast, which I don't find very pleasant.

However, if you have good light and carefully avoid flare, this lens is capable of good results (these were taken with a Pentax *istD, a crop format camera):

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats ! Thank you Abbaz for samples!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz pictures show that this lens is a true wide angel even at a crop cam.
Now, imagine what you can do with it at a FF cam!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Flor can be satisfacted, but the reports I read do not speak of great performance of this lens especially in full frame.

The 5D is a great but exacting camera, it does not forgive any lenses' fault, especially with wides it's merciless.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for comments and reports.

As I don't expect to engage in any photo contest yet, I expect this lens fullfill my needs for fun, real life, interiors and architectural shots...
And I'm still looking for a good 24mm too Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flor27 wrote:
Thank you all for comments and reports.
As I don't expect to engage in any photo contest yet, I expect this lens fullfill my needs for fun, real life, interiors and architectural shots...

Flor, you shold not take my comment in a reactive way. My comment was only based on the fact that people who invest in a 5D, usually have higher expectations on the performance of the lenses. The 5D is, objectively, a step beyond the simple amateur phase.

Having that said, I too sometimes use not top-of-the-line lenses on the 5D, and still have fun, but I have noticed that since I have the 5D, I use less and less the less good lenses, and more and more the more good lenses. It's unavoidable, because it's the 5D that demands for that: it can emphasize the virtues of your lenses, but it emphasizes also the shortcomings.

Flor27 wrote:
And I'm still looking for a good 24mm too Wink

I just pointed Attila yesterday to a VERY good one - a Yashica ML 2.8/24mm - which he could buy fo half the price I spent for it!
-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Flor, you shold not take my comment in a reactive way.

I did not take it that way Wink
I have yet to do some lab's tests of all the lenses I have so far, with the help of my brother, in order to sell some I don't want to keep (beside ones I don't like handling). This one may be part of the lot, who knows ?

Orio wrote:
I just pointed Attila yesterday to a VERY good one - a Yashica ML 2.8/24mm - which he could buy fo half the price I spent for it!
-
I've heard good things about this one, and also the much less affordable Kiron 24/2.0. What about a Tamron 24/2.5 adaptall-2, or maybe Nikkor or Zuiko 24/2.8 ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flor27 wrote:

Orio wrote:
-
I've heard good things about this one, and also the much less affordable Kiron 24/2.0. What about a Tamron 24/2.5 adaptall-2, or maybe Nikkor or Zuiko 24/2.8 ?

Get the Yashica. Some consider it better than the Distagon 25 - I guess this speaks volumes about this lens.
Tamron - I have the 28mm of the same type - very sharp lens from f/5.6 on, unuseable wide open, it is an excellent buy for the money, if the 24mm is the same quality it may be a good buy for 20-30 Euros. But if you consider that with 100 Euros more or less, you can get the Yashi, wll, there is no comparison.
Nikkor - I had it. It's a very nice lens, but Yashica ML is visibly superior.

I don't have the Zuiko but they are excellent wide angles. But surely more expensive than the Yashica. And hardly -I think- better than Yashica.

You can see some images I took with the Yashica 24mm here:
www.orio.ws/temp/mulinaas-vm/index.html

-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence, the Yashica would be an excellent 24mm buy for you also: corners sharp as Melissa's claws.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning we had some ... sun so I could do some architectural tests of the Tamron SP 17mm !

I have first to say that vignetng is very visible wide open and also some strange "mustache" flaring may occur (more to come).

Here are some test shots @f8 on the 5D:

Post-processing is not my cup of tea (I just don't have any decent practice).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Distrortion looks pretty good for a superwide.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Florent, look like a nice lens
Is your pancake still in Belgium Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Distortions are visible at @f3.5 in corners and on close focus subjects.

poilu wrote:
Is your pancake still in Belgium Rolling Eyes

Yes and believe it or not, the seller got it back 2 months laters because of "wrong address" even if it was right Evil or Very Mad
Anyway this lens is not lost and I hope to get it in a week or so Wink