Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MF primes vs SEL lenses in weddings and parties
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: MF primes vs SEL lenses in weddings and parties Reply with quote

Not sure if any of you have similar struggles but recently I have attended two weddings, both have hired an official photographer so basically my friend and I are there to snap some shots to provide other angles. My friend uses a Nikon DSLR (D3X I think) and I thought my 16mm and 18-55 kit lenses won't be able to compete with her 24-70 and 105 VR in terms of sharpness and clarity. So why don't I bring some lenses that's more fun and creative to provide a unique perspective of the wedding, rather than the business crisp clear photos in which she was responsible for.

So the 1st wedding I brought my 35mm 1.7 Fujian and Helios-44-2 for the blurry and swirl bokeh effect. Turns out that in weddings and perhaps parties in general, ppl tend to request for photos whenever they see you with a camera and it's very hard work with the helios (87mm) when tables and ppl are in your way and you just don't have enough space to work with. The Fujian is better but doesn't look that good when ppl see that your photos are only sharp in the centre lol. Most ppl are fine but some elders like my grandma would like it to be crisp clear right.

Knowing this, the next time I brought my 16mm kit lens and the Helios and ended up using the 16mm most of the time and the Helios only for portraits of the new couple lol.

So my struggle is, I like MF primes they are fun and allow more creativity but are hard to work with in these situations. In the end it often comes to the conclusion: why don't I just use the 18-55 and 16mm? Any thoughts on this? What lenses do you guys use in parties and weddings? Any experience to share?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used mainly (>95 %) only AF lenses.

I don't have the time to find the focus when I try to nail the moment. It is important to get nice and fine images to get the right moment or situation. If you will have time for example group shots in the garden and all members will smile into your cam a MF lens could be a choice.

Wink

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree with rolf, i love my manual lenses but weddings need af for the capture speed. I can recomend the sigma 30mm f2.8 for Nex a superb lens that even wide open is super sharp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree. One time I went to a wedding I've brought 3 lenses: AF Pany 20/1.7, Canon FD 50/1.4 and kit 14-42 zoom (I went with E-PL1). Canon was my most used lens. I've tried to sneak in shots while people weren't posing or posing for someone else so that they didn't have to wait for me to focus. The couple actually liked my shots more than what the official photograph produced. For example this was snapped while official photographer was setting up the couple.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i try to understand what you wrote:

your intention was to make personalized pics, not compete with the Nikon supertechnology
your result was making similiar things than your "big" colleague with standard 18% grey scale and autofocus

at first: you are not the only one going this way and beeing unhappy about it

i think your 35mm selection was not bad at all, it it is the right lens, characterwise, i doubt
the helios for shure is a good lens for these applicatios, cause it has a special rendering, so it goes the way you wanted
however for shooting over the table on a APSC it is long

what you need is something like 24mm / 40mm or 20mm/28mm or 35mm for in room shootings like this and what you need is to train a lot in focus fast with these lenses. Here the NEx with the MFocus aid is a great help, as long as you look direct onto the subject, have the cam below your head and tilt the monitor horizontal, means you frame with your eye and control the focus spot with the screen
If you train that, you will get a lot of sharp pictures - at least till it is so dark, that noise on the screen will stop your fast action
then you need a flash and the snapshot skopar at f 8 (goes from -10m to double infinity Smile )

don´t give up - your intention is right
on the other hand i agree, what is written about AF here, if it is "an important party" and i drink alcohol - another noise source - i take my D700 with 85 AFD as backup Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People could make great shoots before AF lenses too Laughing make unsharp images not too hard with AF lens for example if background get sharper than subject eyes.. take that what you have best experience in past and you are sure you able to make best pictures.

If I won't less any moment my settings is next : mode is S 1/200 ISO is AUTO extension is off max 1600. Drive mode is serial on fast card I can record 8-10 images by one press , 99,9% sure I can get one where is everything is best expression, sharpness, focus etc. I suggest to use F5.6-F8 if possible wide open is risky. If you make sharp nose and blured eyes that is not works, with stopped down well this will not happen. If light is less use powerful flash on 1/4 power and flash will work promptly in serial shoots every second will flashed at least.
I know only 16mm Sony NEX AF lens, definetly crap to me to shoot event , people. It makes Nex to a compact camera.

Last edited by Attila on Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: MF primes vs SEL lenses in weddings and parties Reply with quote

I am with fermy, specially if there was another "official" photographer I'd mostly use manual lenses trying to create something more "special" than the AF kit and 16mm lenses can do.

If I was the only photographer most likely I'd use the AF lens more though. Not because of more precise focusing but because to get focus right with a manual lens I usually need a bit more time than people, who are used to photographers with AF lenses, would expect. That creates a tension that makes me start screwing up, it also may mean missing the moment.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to add that a key to anything is playing to your strength and covering your weaknesses.

As good as modern zooms are, they are still slower and slightly weaker than quality old primes in pretty much any IQ component: OOF rendering and transition, resolution, pop, etc. So in going with MF primes you trade convenience and operational speed for IQ, character, and low light ability. With that in mind, your selection of lenses for wedding is IMHO suspect.

1. 35/1.7 Fujian is not a quality lens. It's advantage is size (and price). By choosing it, you trade IQ for size. That would be fine if you were going for an evening walk with your family and kids, but for an event where you are going to take hundreds of pictures, I'd take my best fastest lens in the 24-35mm range.

2. Helios is a well regarded lens and it would be a good portrait choice for an outdoor event. However, for an indoor party it's a bit too slow and a bit too long. I would favor a good 50/1.4 or 50/1.2 lens over it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For clear and sharp...Get Voigtlander heliar 15/4,5. sharp at wide open. very easy to focus. just 2m before infinity. everything beyond 2m it sharp. but it's pricy compared to Sony 16/2,8. alternative is Miranda/Cosina 24/2,8.
For effect and bokeh, that fujian 35/1,7 is enough for me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to use the 28/2 or 35/2 , but as attila allready said , you have to stop the lens .depends on the light . If you can afford 5,6-8 , great! Usually the light is low , at least f4 . don't hesitate to use 1600 or even 3200

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Voigtländer 15/4.5 is not much better than the SEL 16/2.8 on NEX 5N but much more expensive and without AF. Color-shifting, vignetting are even worse on 5N than with the underrated Sony. Plus the Sony offers a lot extra speed and is smaller. If you wan't a better wide angle for NEX I would recommend the Tokina 17/3.5 for example, as it has less problems with the sensor and it's also cheaper.
Anyway an wide angle is imho not useful on an indoor wedding

The SEL 50/1.8+ the Kit 18-55 or a good less wide wide angle would be imho the best choice

I know a professional and very good (wedding-) photographer and he's using a 35mm, a 50 mm and a 135mm lens (all AF) on two Sony FF DSLR bodies for faster change.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:00 pm; edited 5 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One camera with AF, a second camera with MF Wink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
One camera with AF, a second camera with MF Wink

+1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do social photography, this is a separate thing entirely to my hobby photography. I use my autofocus DSLR and AF lenses entirely. They are so convenient and fast.

I agree, using manual lenses slows you down and restricts you. You must shoot in manual mode only with the Nikon.

In the old film days this wasn't so much of a problem as you were always using 'full frame' so wide lenses were wide. Once you'd set your shutter and aperture provided things didnt change too much you always got good results. Latitude in film and processing would make even a stop out look perfectly acceptable. Auto exposure (then) could give wildly 'out' exposures eg lights shining in the lens, sky, white wedding dresses all fooled the meter.

Personally when as a guest I use my digital p&s or old Nikon L35AF, with its even flash coverage, and wide lens. Although when i get my NEX it may change!

Ultimately when we use digital cameras with MF lenses we are restricting ourselves somewhat as the two technologies were not designed to work together. I would suggest them only for amateur rather than pro use (except perhaps studio situations where you have more control)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
People could make great shoots before AF lenses too Laughing

True, but remember they used matte screens specialized for MF work!

Attila wrote:
make unsharp images not too hard with AF lens

Also true. Wink

Give the best cam/lens you have and I take a crappy picture. Not difficult. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf, I understand you.

MF lenses are great if you have the time to focus or know in what direction the movement is going.
With "time" I mean something like half a second, not some minutes!

But sometimes, when many people are present with unpredictable movements (party, children!) a fast AF lens will give me more usable results. That might be different for other photographers. But I would not like to dismiss AF completely.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: MF primes vs SEL lenses in weddings and parties Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
I am with fermy, specially if there was another "official" photographer I'd mostly use manual lenses trying to create something more "special" than the AF kit and 16mm lenses can do.

If I was the only photographer most likely I'd use the AF lens more though. Not because of more precise focusing but because to get focus right with a manual lens I usually need a bit more time than people, who are used to photographers with AF lenses, would expect. That creates a tension that makes me start screwing up, it also may mean missing the moment.

I agree with fermy too. The best wedding photos are posed, which calls for thinking about your shots carefully, arranging the
background, and this gives you ample time to focus. AF lenses are ideal for taking quick snapshots, but these don't make good wedding
photos in my opinion.

At my son's wedding in Hong Kong, the "offical" photographer was using a Canon 1D or 5D and a huge AF lens. He took over 3,000
pictures. None of them were posed properly, they were all quick snapshots, with people making strange faces in the background etc.
And after trawling through them all to choose the pics for our wedding album, we decided none of them were worth paying for.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: MF primes vs SEL lenses in weddings and parties Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

At my son's wedding in Hong Kong, the "offical" photographer was using a Canon 1D or 5D and a huge AF lens. He took over 3,000
pictures. None of them were posed properly, they were all quick snapshots, with people making strange faces in the background etc.
And after trawling through them all to choose the pics for our wedding album, we decided none of them were worth paying for.

Ow, that's bad, Peter. But I think it's because it was a crappy photographer and not because of his equipment.
A good friend of mine also shoots weddings and he uses AF gear as well. His photos are amazing!
(He also used an M9 for a while and although he really fell in love with it, he sold it again, because it did't give him that much more that the high price would justify.)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: MF primes vs SEL lenses in weddings and parties Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
peterqd wrote:

Ow, that's bad, Peter. But I think it's because it was a crappy photographer and not because of his equipment.
A good friend of mine also shoots weddings and he uses AF gear as well. His photos are amazing!
(He also used an M9 for a while and although he really fell in love with it, he sold it again, because it did't give him that much more that the high price would justify.)

I agree, the camera and lens had nothing to do with it. The point is, the automatic equipment allowed him to fire away without
thinking properly. If he'd been using an MF lens he would have had to think about his shots more carefully, and probably we would
have had a sensible number to choose from.

Do remember Michael (Borges) and his wife Yvonne? She went on to start a wedding photography business. I often look at her
beautiful pictures. The equipment is completely secondary to the picture content. I wish there had been someone like that in Hong Kong.
http://www.yvonne-zemke.de

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: MF primes vs SEL lenses in weddings and parties Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

Do remember Michael (Borges) and his wife Yvonne? She went on to start a wedding photography business. I often look at her
beautiful pictures. The equipment is completely secondary to the picture content. I wish there had been someone like that in Hong Kong.

That's one of the best wedding sites that I've seen.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: MF primes vs SEL lenses in weddings and parties Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
peterqd wrote:

That's one of the best wedding sites that I've seen.

Me too, fermy. The thought that goes into those pictures is amazing, I just wish I had a fraction of her creativity.

Michael was an active member here for some time but hasn't posted for over 4 years now. His speciality was USSR MF lenses. As far as I remember, it was that interest that got Yvonne into photography and, for a time at least, she was using his AF gear. They were requested to shoot pictures at a friend's wedding, and it just grew from there. You can follow the story if you search for threads by member "borges". They're still here, but some of the pictures are missing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: MF primes vs SEL lenses in weddings and parties Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Michael was an active member here for some time but hasn't posted for over 4 years now.

I'm here. I was always here Wink Thank you for your kind words.

Since Yvonne started her business a few years ago, we were overrun by work. From time to time I end up in this forum and I'm always happy to see so many familiar names here. Sadly most of my MF-Equipment is waiting for a new life in the future. And because I can't stand against Yvonnes creativity, I decided to restrict myself to the part of post-production Wink

Although we work with AF-lenses, the look and feel of Yvonnes images is a result of our interest in classic photography and old MF-equipment. Composition rules over equipment.

Best wishes for the new year,
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Michael! Well, what a pleasant surprise. Smile
Please pass on my best wishes to Yvonne, and Happy New Year to you both.

If anyone has any questions about taking pictures at weddings, who better to ask than you? Many, many congratulations on the
success of your enterprise, it is so well-deserved. Have you given up your day job yet? Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo, Michael! Gute neues Jahr!!

Great to read you again. I agree, Yvonne's work is inspiring.
If I was shooting weddings, I would know where to look and nick some ideas. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Have you given up your day job yet? Smile

No, no, at least one member of the family has to do a serious job Wink