Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Agfa Color 50mm f/1.4, Rikenon 50mm f/1.4, SMC Takumar 55mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Agfa Color 50mm f/1.4, Rikenon 50mm f/1.4, SMC Takumar 55mm Reply with quote

Well, i was a little bored, so i made a little comparison. I wanted to see how some of my lenses compare to my Canon EF-S 60mm macro. The Canon is known as a sharp lens with nice rendering, and it's my most used lens, so ...
Agfa color 50mm f/1.4, XR Rikenon 50mm f/1.4, S-M-C Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-3 58mm f/2 and the Canon macro.
Most lenses are good at f/5.6 or 8, so i compared them at 2.8, since the Canon can't go more than that. Canon 450D, standard picture style, focus via Live view, from tripod, 2 sec. self-timer, same white balance, same exposure time ...

Agfa

Rikenon

Takumar

Helios

Canon

100% crops
Agfa

Rikenon

Takumar

Helios

Canon

Conclusions? Except that something is wrong with the Takumar (i should look into that) ...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, something isnt right with the takumar, it almost looks like there was vibration of camera during shot.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was no vibration. It looked strange even with the Live view focusing. I guess some of the inner elements have moved.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks all good to me, thank you for you time and effort.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

berw wrote:
There was no vibration. It looked strange even with the Live view focusing. I guess some of the inner elements have moved.

Did you focus the lenses whilst stopped down to F2.8 or did you focus them wide open and THEN stop them down to shoot? If the latter then focus shift may be a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really can't tell you why, but the Rikenon impresses me. The Canon is very very good, but somehow the Rikenon just has 'something' I like.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focusing was done at f/2.8. I just checked the lens, and found the problem. The ring under the name plate, that holds the front glass element was not tightened, so the front glass could move. I need to fine-tune it and then tighten the ring.
I noticed that the Agfa and the Rikenon are sharper, but let through less light than the other two. Is that normal variation between lenses?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All are good, like Attila said.

The canon and the helios are my favs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did change title , search engines and built in search both use title 'I get bored' will be hidden for ever 2 weeks later.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for being bored... Smile
I've been looking for an Agfa, & I'm still looking, something about the draw I like.