Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax IIIa, Opton Biogon 2.8/35, Ilford FP4+, Fomadon LQN
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Contax IIIa, Opton Biogon 2.8/35, Ilford FP4+, Fomadon LQN Reply with quote

Very pleased with how this came out, much better than I've been able to get from fp4+ before. Two or three of these are with my 1938 Sonnar 1.5/50, see if you can spot em.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of your best series for sure, if we count winter light , surely best. I like especially #1 , such a nice sharpness and clarity.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou, this Biogon is really great on film. I didn't do any pp on these, not even tweaking brightness/contrast, seems I got very lucky with this Contax and the meter and shutter are both spot-on. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked WOW, may post-war Contax was entirely dead...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I suspect mine had a very easy life with little use as it has no signs of wear at all. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of FP4 but you make it look convincing here.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent use of shadows and light Ian. Sharp as a tack.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou gentlemen, I was very surprised at how this roll came out, as i too, am not much of a fan of fp4. I've tried it in 3 or 4 other developers and not had results as good as this, usually quite a bit more grain, although I do have some shots from the past with fp4 that came out great, those were in the minority and most were of lesser quality.

I was lucky with the light, it was crystal clear day and in the afternoon the shadows grew long, so I had lots of light/dark to work with, which suits my style as I like to try to make bw shots with plenty of black and plenty of white rather than lots of gray midtones.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Thankyou gentlemen, I was very surprised at how this roll came out, as i too, am not much of a fan of fp4. I've tried it in 3 or 4 other developers and not had results as good as this, usually quite a bit more grain, although I do have some shots from the past with fp4 that came out great, those were in the minority and most were of lesser quality.

I was lucky with the light, it was crystal clear day and in the afternoon the shadows grew long, so I had lots of light/dark to work with, which suits my style as I like to try to make bw shots with plenty of black and plenty of white rather than lots of gray midtones.

erm many thing I like..you dislike (or disliked at first) Laughing
Well I have/had been using FP3\FP4 for ages and was always happy with the results. And yes I did try Adox, kodak etc...... Mind you I never liked HP3.
So if no one can get very good results from FP4 (well I assume now it's no different from the old stuff) then it must be the photographer.

This is about the largest print I could do at home and the grain is very good:-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think with Ilford films, they aren't so hot in many developers, but find the right developer and bingo.

Here's some other FP4/FP4+ (I have both in bulk rolls) to compare, with developer used noted:

Konica Hexanon 4/21, AG Photographic RO9

Konica Hexanon 1.4/50, AG Photographic RO9

Meyer Primagon 4.5/35, Paterson FX-39:

Konica Hexanon 1.4/50, Paterson FX-39:

Carl Zeiss Jena Triotar 4/85, Fomadon LQN:

This was Ilford HP5, Konica Hexanon 4/21, Paterson FX-39:

I definitely prefer Fomadon LQN to FX-39 and RO9 for use with FP4, I thought I'd tried D-76 with FP4 too, but I can't find the roll in my notes so maybe not, I just bought a 5l tin of Microdol-X dirt cheap so I can try that with the Ilford films too, I have loads of bulk FP4, HP5 and Polypan 50 which is probably Pan F 50 emulsion on a clear estar base.

This is the Polypan 50, sure looks (and behaves in processing) like Pan F 50:

CZJ Sonnar 1.5/50:

Konica Hexanon 1.4/57:

Helios-103 1.8/53:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now I'm way out of touch with developers but my combo was Johnsons Unitol and FP4 but did try many others in between. But alas excellent Unitol has gone down the pan and so I doubt whether I'll dabble in B/W again without this developer.

My first attempts at portraiture.....eventually bought sheets of backing paper to fit on a home made frame.

FP4 dev in Unitol, camera was Medium format (can't be bothered to find the neg) with diffuser in front of the lens

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple SUPERB this portrait, full with life!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

+1

There are still loads of good bw developers on the market, d-76 powder is still easy to get and works very well, I like Fomadon LQN and the contrast increasing version LQR. Paterson FX-39 is very good and Paterson make a few others too, all with great reps and they are old formulas revived at cheap prices. Speedibrews are still making their range of stuff which is very cheap and worth trying, Orio swears by the Ornano stuff from Italy.

I'd be happy to send you a roll of fp4 from my bulk stock to try if you like, Excalibur.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Thanks....it was an interesting time as I got plenty of practice from my family and other wives and their daughters and was just happy to do it for free.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Attila wrote:

+1

There are still loads of good bw developers on the market, d-76 powder is still easy to get and works very well, I like Fomadon LQN and the contrast increasing version LQR. Paterson FX-39 is very good and Paterson make a few others too, all with great reps and they are old formulas revived at cheap prices. Speedibrews are still making their range of stuff which is very cheap and worth trying, Orio swears by the Ornano stuff from Italy.

I'd be happy to send you a roll of fp4 from my bulk stock to try if you like, Excalibur.

Thanks for the offer but I do have some 120 FP4 rolls left and used one about a year ago and wasn't happy with the results using this:-

http://www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk/products/495/champion-promicrol-film-developer-1-litre

If I had any good skill in the past for B/W it's all gone now and I can't be bothered to regain it trying different chemicals to replace Unitol. Same for my DIY colour when Pattersons Photocolor II when down the pan also.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is time consuming sometimes, but I have lots of time on my hands so I don't mind, and there's no other way to do bw film work really.