Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kiev 4 with Jupiter 8 in the street
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Kiev 4 with Jupiter 8 in the street Reply with quote

I recently got a nice little Kiev 4 camera with the Jupiter 8 lens (50mm/2). I only put one film through it so far and since these cameras are supposedly best suited for street photography I thought I'd try my hand at this genre. Normally I'm not a street shooter (never done street before), I don't actually like to shoot people in general, let alone strangers in the street and it showed. I wasn't comfortable at all and after snapping just a few people I quickly turned to my more usual subjects (which is anything that doesn't move and won't look at you in a funny way Razz ).

So here are my first, and for the forseable future also last street shots, plus a few other frames from the same outing:

1:

2:

3:

4:

5:

6:

7:

Shot on Kodak Tri-X 400 and developed in Kodak D-76 1+1 dilution for 10 minutes @20°C. Also the first time I use this film and developer. It turned out nice for the most part.

Most shots are either wide open or closed down just one stop to f/2.8. Scanned with an Epson V300 which doesn't do the best job but it's all I have at hand.

Last edited by miran on Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are nice, I use my Kiev for street shooting all the time, I think it's ideal for that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I've seen your posts about the Kiev rangefinders a few months ago and it was actually you who got me to research them and then get one. Wink It's a very nice camera and lens, I like that the viewfinder is all the way to the left, so you can have one eye free and the wide RF base and the way you focus allows for quick and precise focus. I'm just not sure about this whole street photography thing. I like to look at the photos but I just don't enjoy doing it. Feeling like some kind of a criminal and with people looking at you thinking what the hell you are doing. Or maybe that's just in my head, I don't know...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know the feeling. My technique is to set the lens to f4 and focus at 3m then everything from 2-6m is in focus, and if you are quick and discreet, people don't even realise you snapped them. I too feel a bit guilty sometimes, I think a city is better than a small town for this sort of shooting.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures, I love them all. Nice combo as well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice B&W results Miran.
Street shooting is a very interesting subject for a debate.
99% of the times it is discussed in what I think is a wrong perspective, i.e. the perspective of "is it legal or not".
That perspective is useless, because every country has it's laws, and every photographer is supposed to know them and follow them.
So there is really nothing to discuss about that.
I think it is more interesting to have a different question, which is "why should I do it" or "why do I do it".
I have asked myself the question and given more than one answer, but this is not the right thread to talk about it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your results and understand your reluctance to take this type of shot. I don't usually take street shots for the same reasons. If you feel uncomfortable taking candid shots of people the chances are that you will look either nervous or furtive and that is likely to attract attention to the photographer. I can only do it with a long lens.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
I like your results and understand your reluctance to take this type of shot. I don't usually take street shots for the same reasons. If you feel uncomfortable taking candid shots of people the chances are that you will look either nervous or furtive and that is likely to attract attention to the photographer. I can only do it with a long lens.

+1 !

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good images. These look alive.

Some feel uncomfortable taking street shots, so I would suggest that they don't do it; it's supposed to be enjoyable, so if you don't enjoy it, why bother.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the feedback.

@martin: Yes, that's the conclusion I got as well. But you can't know if you don't try. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, same story, I feel uncomfortable doing it, but people are great subjects, so I'm drawn to it too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first shot is my favorite of the group. Looking at an image like this you wonder what the 2 people were talking about at the time the picture was taken. Taking candid shots can be so much fun. When I do take street shots I am very obvious with my camera. I try to let the world know you are about to be in my picture.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miran, there is nothing wrong with your street appreciation. I think #2 and #4 are great - you should be very pleased with those two, just as the rest are good too.

It took me a long time to get comfortable with what I would and would not shoot, and have found that it doesn't matter whether you are in a city or a small town. As others have mentioned, everyone draws their own line between what is capturing a moment and what is invasive. I hope you continue with some street shooting, finding your own line along the way.

Enjoy your Kiev...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. The interesting thing is that most people don't seem to mind. In fact most people don't even realize they're the subject. A few people did notice me and turned around to see what was so interesting behind them that I was trying to photograph. And they were even trying to be helpful by getting out of the frame, they thought they were in my way. But no one said anything.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a non street photographer you sure nailed the 2nd and 4th shots Wink