Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cyprus - Dry Salt Lake
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Cyprus - Dry Salt Lake Reply with quote

Hello all!!

Just got back from Cyprus - what a place! A great time of year as the weather was warm-ish, stormy-ish, great cloudsd and only a little rain. Needless to say I took LOTS of photos, both with the 5d and the G2.

These are all from the 5d, with the zuiko 18mm (now my walk-around lens! I very rarely take it off and replace it with the zuiko 24mm, the EF 50mm f1.4 of the Nikon 105mm f2.5) at f8-11.

This is a dry salt lake near Larnaka in the West of Cyprus. At the end of th e lake is the holiest Muslim pilgrimage site on the island, but I liked the salt deposits and bleached wood as a subject.

Thanks all for looking!!

Simon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great B&W as usual. I love the choice of subjects.
My favourite is #2 - the salt bleached trunk looks (or better said feels) like a big buffalo skull. Excellent grey tones enhance the composition.
I am not -as you know- a big fan of the postprocessed vignetting - I really don't understand why it should be necessary, in my opinion your pictures are strong enough not to need this trick - but that's your art ultimately so you are the best judge!

-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orio!!

I think I have a picture in my mind of what a photo should look like and it includes vignetting. This is only the digital ones, in fact the stuff I have been shooting with the G2 I have hardly touched in PS. The digital ones are so far away from what I want them to look like when they come out of the camera, and so malleable that perhaps I overdo things a bit.

For this reason I have been thinking about medium or large format film, but too big a step for the time being.

There are others that are far less processed, and to be honest these are a lot less processed than the Black Hill ones!!

Feedback always appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real Simon pictures! Excellent series as always!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Shocked Cool Cool

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive, excellent, wow,...
Great work, Simon!!

Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon

Your usual excellent examples. Makes even a dry salt lake look interesting! Thanks

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That second image....ROCKS! Wow, so fine in the composition and tonality....just beautiful, Simon. Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Superb, splendid, wonderful, the words are missing !

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb as always.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are really beautiful pictures. Excellent B&W.

I like #1 & #5, the more simplier, the more effective to me.

These pictures cry for beeing hung on a wall at a decent size.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A WOW from me too especially for the second one !

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much indeed for your kind words all!!