Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon micro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Nikon micro Reply with quote

Hi

Does nayone the distance from end of the lens to subject of the Nikon 55mm micro at 1:1 magnification when combined with the PK-13 tube? Same for the micro 105mm when combined with its tube (I think its PN-11)?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

optical rule is that at 1:1 magnification, 2 x f is distance, so it is approximately 110mm for 55mm and 210mm for 105mm (single lens approximation - take middle of lens, not lens front)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
optical rule is that at 1:1 magnification, 2 x f is distance, so it is approximately 110mm for 55mm and 210mm for 105mm (single lens approximation - take middle of lens, not lens front)

Quite correct, approximately, as you wrote for the 55 and 105/5 MicroNikkors. Not quite right for the 105/2.8 MicroNikkor, which changes focal length as it focuses closer. At its close focusing limit (1:2 on its own mount, 1:0.88 on the PN-11) its focal length is 88 mm, so for it the distance is 176 mm, not 210 mm, at 1:0.88.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

Do you know what the distance is from the end of the lens to the subject? I'm not sure where those FLx2 measurements are measured from.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The approximation is from middle of the lens, not lens front.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Yes, I understood that in your previous post. I meant I don't know exactly where in the middle (what is considered the middle?). I don't know the length of the lens, though I guess I can find it. But since with this lens at 1:1 every cm (or even less) matters, I have to know exactly from where in the middle to calculate, does it include the entire lens, what about the overlap of the mount, how approximate is it, etc.? I don't know how to use that to calculate the distnace from the end of the lens, which is what I'm trying to find. Maybe you know? Maybe someone here has the lens anc can check please?

Thanks again

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front nodal point is approximately at the diaphragm. Approximately.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attaching an image taken by Micro-Nikkor 55mm 3.5 without extension tubes (not max. magnification I think):

Now the same 1:1 lens with tubes (it needs long shutter time):

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Since you have the lens and the tube for 1:1, can you please check the working distance from the end of the lens at 1:1?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3.5/55 and I'll measure this for you if you tell me how long is the extension tube and I have one...

I'm curious how this measurement information will get used? Why front of lens? Aren't distances marked on lenses measured from film/sensor?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
I have 3.5/55 and I'll measure this for you if you tell me how long is the extension tube and I have one...

It is the Nikon PK-13 tube 27.5mm http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/37858-REG/Nikon_2653_PK_13_27_5mm_AI.html

visualopsins wrote:
I'm curious how this measurement information will get used? Why front of lens? Aren't distances marked on lenses measured from film/sensor?

Because I want to know what distance physically the end of the lens is going to be from the subject at 1:1, to see if that is too short to block my light for the specific macro photos I need. A difference of just a couple of cms can be critical and I rather not get a longer lens if I don't have to.

Thanks again

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great "portrait" of the moth.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I eventaully found someone who had one and said it's 5cm-6cm and I decided this was far enough so I bought one.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Storm got in the way...Wink

I (too) measured subject 6cm from front of lens barrel (lens is recessed). Lens at maximum extension is 85mm long.

My Macro-Takumar 4/50 at 1:1 front of barrel is also 6cm...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for confirming.