Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Arista Premium 400>200, Xtol
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Arista Premium 400>200, Xtol Reply with quote

This is from the shoot yesterday using the Contax 137MA (red camera Smile ) and the Super Tak
3.5/135.

Xtol 1:1, 8 mins, 20C

I really like the meters in these Contax cameras.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, did you pull process this roll?
I like Arista/TriX for portraits. Both portraits look good to me, lighting is very appropriate for a young subject,
in the second one the composition is just perfect, in the first one I think I would have preferred not to have the top of head cut out.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love them both, but would have preferred focusing to be on the nearer eye on no. 1.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, yes, pulled. AP400 costs $2.89 a roll (36exp) and Acros and Neopan 400 costs $5.99. Tyring to find
a combo I'm happy with for the cheap film.

Skida, agree, focus on nearer eye, next time. Pretty sure that was shot wide open @f3.5.

Thanks for your comments.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done Bill, I agree with Orio on that!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus, thanks! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots.......don't forget to try cheap colour film and convert to B/W pics. When I did my own chemical colour printing, I first printed the shots on B/W paper to see if they were worth doing in colour...and I was amazed at the quality (mind you it was medium format).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excal, thanks, I had a Mamiyaflex loaded but didn't take it, now I wish I had.

Isn't that always the way it goes? Smile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never shoot wide open , bokeh will be nice if keep distance in background, shoot from f4 to F8 and everything will sharp properly, focus on eyes of course. Try to keep 1/250 if possible or at least 1/125, tones are nice , I like developer + film combo.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can shoot wide open if both eyes are in the same focal plane or very close to it:

something I should have remembered

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chance to ruin picture is high at wide open enough slow motion by people, not worth to risk for nothing , wide open not give much advantage on portraits vs disadvantages.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice, Attila. Another from the roll, yesterday:

that's a hair hanging down across her face

I've just joined the Xtol club, even this Legacy Pro stuff works well.