Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rollei Retro 100 Tonal
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Rollei Retro 100 Tonal Reply with quote

I bought two bulk boxes of this film very cheaply. It is indeed very cheap, cheaper than Fomapan for instance, and of
all other 100 ISO B&W film that I know, except perhaps for Kentmere.
It's an Orthopan film, which I personally love, because they allow me to push the contrast when printing/scanning without
losing the middle gray tones as it happens too often with Panchromatic or Superpanchromatic film.
The other side of the moon is that like all Orthopan films, it's slower than nominal speed in the warm tones (reds, oranges, yellows).
This means that when shooting, the photographer must keep that in mind, analyze the scene, and adjust exposure if there
are important parts of red or orange colour that are in the shadow.
I have to say that I am really pleased with some of the results that I obtained. Not only for the price/quality ratio but also in absolute terms.
The film brings the name "Tonal" and I think that it deserves it completely: what do you think?

Later I will publish the complete series from this roll.
This thread is meant to discuss the film really, and posting here only because of oversize limit in the Accessories forum,
while I needed to post this sample image at this size, because if smaller any sense of shadings would be lost, and film not evaluatable.
Feel free to add your Retro 100 Tonal images here if you have any.

P.S. image taken with Zeiss Ikon and Voigtländer Snapshot-Skopar 4/25

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could almost convince me to go back to my B+W days (45 years ago) Very Happy

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb! Lucky find!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's a coincidence. I have today loaded my first two cassettes from my first bulk film purchase ever of... that very film!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing what you will do with it, Tikka.
Here's my (first) whole series with Retro 100 Tonal: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1278008.html#1278008

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shot! Congratulations, Orio Wink