Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor AIS 50/1.8 AIS 24/2.8 in Nikko, Japan
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Nikkor AIS 50/1.8 AIS 24/2.8 in Nikko, Japan Reply with quote

I went to Nikko with a couple of Nikkors a few weeks ago. Here are a few images. All shot on a D3000.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely.

Can you tell us about the white pieces of cloth attached to the trees ? Or are they paper ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
Lovely.

Can you tell us about the white pieces of cloth attached to the trees ? Or are they paper ?

Sure. They are called "shide" They mark pure/holy areas in Shinto shrines in Japan. Sometimes a bunch of them are used like a brush or wand) to symbolically purify something or somebody. The brush/wand is called a "nusa" or "onusa" I think. Hope this helps. Very Happy

Here's a link to the wikipedia page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shide_%28Shinto%29

edit: yes, they are made out of folded paper.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning images

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great series, Yebisu!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful series, indeed, congrats!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there's a Nikonian with Nikon camera and Nikkor lenses went to Nikko..
There's must be something connection between Nikon and Nikko !
nice green pictures.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, very nice series, and what better lens to use in Nikko than a Nikkor? Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone

IAZA wrote:
So there's a Nikonian with Nikon camera and Nikkor lenses went to Nikko..
There's must be something connection between Nikon and Nikko !
nice green pictures.

Actually Nikkor used to called Nikko according to wikipedia. And The Japanese kanji (pictograms) are the same. But I think they came about from a different meaning. I'll try to explain. Very Happy

In Nikko (the place I visited) the "Ni" means sun and the "kko" means light. So literally "sunlight"

Nikko (Nikon's lens brand) is actually shortened from "Nipon Kogaku" The Ni from Nipon (Japan) and the Ko from Kogaku (optics). So Nikko basically means Japan optics.

The confusion comes from the fact that the kanji (pictogram) for sun, day, and first part of the country name Japan are same (日)

I hope it wasn't too boring an explanation. I do bore myself sometimes Embarassed

If anyone on here visits Japan, Nikko is defintely worth going to. I didn't take any pictures of the famous temples as it was too busy but they are very beautiful.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for explanation, really appriciate. what a nice forum here Smile