Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Two (very different) From the weekend
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Two (very different) From the weekend Reply with quote

PP'd in Lightroom, lens Industar 50-2 @5.6 (flickr resize seems to have lost a bit of resolution)

Zeiss Planar 50 1.4

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both very nice Bob!
The second one (enchanting atmosphere) would have really benefitted of a reflective panel behind the camera, pointed to fill the shadows.
If you can replicate the setup, I would give that a try.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the aperture Bob on the still life, because I feel not only would the added light help to diffuse some of the shadows but would have permitted a slightly smaller aperture. But I love both. Is the sand really that red?

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello hacksaw!

The first one is certainly RED Shocked !!

I truly love the setup on the second image; very very nice arrangement. I certainly agree with the others about making those apples "shine"! Cool

Nice work, would love to see new iterations of the same beautiful still life composition.

Laurence (Larry)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice atmosphere, maybe a fill flash could get the foreground brighter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flash or reflector? I would opt for a reflector, since this preserves the ambient light.

Nice shot.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments, Tha sand was yellow, it was made red in LR. I have some tahen with a white towel reflecting the light and I tried some diffussed fill flash I'll post them later. I quite like the dark shadows. This was pretty much as I found it in my brothers house. I just cloned out a window handle that was distracting. I think I was using a f5.6 on the tripod, these were partly taken as light meter readings for the medium format camera.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Flash or reflector? I would opt for a reflector, since this preserves the ambient light.

Flash or reflector? In this situation, it's like choosing between a bad or good photo.
Fill flash would kill this photo. It would harden the edges and ruin the soft atmosphere. Not to mention it would eliminate the shadows. Shadows must not disappear. They must remain, they are the sould of this picture. They only need to be opened up a bit, just a bit to let the shapes and colours surface.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great texture in the first and nice composition in the second. I agree a little bounced light would help but only a very little.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the one with the bounced light but I prefer the composition in the first, shame I didn't think about it until later on (zeiss zebra 135mm by the way)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like deep shadows and dirty window. Looks realistic and not set up scene.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I love the second one. The colleagues may be right in the sense it might benefit from a reflector, but as is it's very nice!.
Congratulations, that Planar 1.4 seems to be as good as the 1.7 in terms of sharpness and colour...

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The third is my favorite. Nice composition and lighting. Thanks

Imre

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new image is looking a lot better! I would STILL get a little more light on the apples, but at the same time preserve some shadowing. I agree, hacksaw, that the previous compositions were nicer. I love that you are working on this; it gives me inspiration to start something like still lifes myself.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys my brother house is a photographers heaven it is an old Welsh crofters cottage near Snowden. Unfortunately it is a 3 hour drive from here Crying or Very sad so I cant revisit his fruit bowl soon! I'll be interested to get the medium format capture back to compare. I think it was the second composition, with the reflector (white hand towel Smile ) Thanks Laurence I'm glad we can inspire each other!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell him not to clean the windows - they make a beautiful soft filter Smile Smile

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tell him not to clean the windows
Laughing He has a baby on the way, sadly I think his little wizard cottage as I call it, may become sterile Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor guy - my sympathies (and congratulations) Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

patrickh