Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I dropped my Hexanon 40mm f1.8 on the pavement...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: I dropped my Hexanon 40mm f1.8 on the pavement... Reply with quote

and it left a dent in the pavement but the lens was fine... I suppose I am lucky but I seriously wonder if a modern lens could have taken the fall?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: I dropped my Hexanon 40mm f1.8 on the pavement... Reply with quote

ramcewan wrote:
and it left a dent in the pavement

Laughing Laughing

Destruction of public property!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: I dropped my Hexanon 40mm f1.8 on the pavement... Reply with quote

ramcewan wrote:
...but I seriously wonder if a modern lens could have taken the fall?

No.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulation, your beauty lens is salved.

The filter ring is OK? If it was damaged, the shade should be a problem (and that lens can need one).

It's one of the warmish hexanons, nice lens.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`ll never be able to understand how one could drop a camera or lens.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:

No one can till it just happens to them.

Glad you didn't drop it on your foot, then you'd be "Missing a foot Himself" Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Glad you didn't drop it on your foot, then you'd be "Missing a foot Himself" Very Happy

Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad dropped my Pentacon 4/200 on our tiled kitchen floor once, it chipped the tile, lens was fine.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:

Well once on a forum I asked a similar question when someone lost their equipment using a gangplank getting onto a boat....and I got the feeling I was asking a stupid question and never got an answer Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonyrokkor wrote:
Congratulation, your beauty lens is salved.

The filter ring is OK? If it was damaged, the shade should be a problem (and that lens can need one).

It's one of the warmish hexanons, nice lens.

I had a filter and a cap on the lens. It doesn't seem to have any damage on the filter.

I am not quite sure where it hit as there are no marks but in all honesty I think the MFT adapter took the brunt of it.

Himself wrote:

In a word: carelessness

I have been trying to take more pics by bringing my camera with me to work every day and stopping on the way since this time of year I tend to be heading in at shortly after sunrise.

When I get to work I put my gear in my laptop bag which goes into the office with me to ensure the hot sun doesn't damage anything or someone doesn't jack my sh!t from my car.

So I bring the camera body and a few lenses, the camera body (Oly E-PL2) fits easily into a pocket that closes. I also normally have a few MFT pancake lenses inside a leather case.

Unfortunately the Hexanon doesn't fit into it's case when the MFT adapter is on it so I had it loose in the bag. When I got out of my car the way the bag strap was it flipped and the lens plopped out Sad

I should have been more careful

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dropped my OM-D with kit-lens 1.5 meters in the asphalt without more than some superstitious scratches and dents Wink

Not a good feeling the first day I had my new camera, but I was lucky that everything still worked Very Happy
Always connect the camera strap properly before use Confused

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:

I am lucky till now but I expect this day will come
I often change my lens on the move, running behind my wife trying to avoid steps & holes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I change lenses too. I always have 4 lenses with me.
But it doesn't matter if I'm alone or not, I stop to change the damn thing.
And I'm a strap boy. Always around my neck.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I dropped a Canon 70-200 f 2.8 second version. How? I was a videographer for a wedding and I was trying to use 2 camera. As you know, the 70-200 is so big that you need to attach it to a tripod. My tripod plate started to loosen but I was too busy shooting to take it off and tighten the plate. At the end of the wedding, I tried to take the camera off the lens, and the lens just fell to the floor ( I did try to use my leg to catch it though...). The mount of the lens was bent and they found some internal problem. The total repair cost was $760.

This was one of the reason why I started using manual primes...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 16-35LII took a trip to the ground, I picked it up nor really paying attention to what I was doing, and it was like it jumped out of my hand, then it was slo-mo all the way to the ground, the zoom was tight at one end, so it was sent in. I felt sick about it for weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:

Be careful! I used to say to my work colleagues, "I don't know how anyone can reverse a bus into the railings at the Haymarket Bus Station!" I don't say that anymore. Embarassed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also crashed my brand new car into a Honda on a parking lot just 3 weeks after it was new, ha ha Laughing

Relax folks, it's only dead things?!? Wink

*I usually look after my thing, but are sometimes clumsy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
I dropped my OM-D with kit-lens 1.5 meters in the asphalt without more than some superstitious scratches and dents Wink

Superstitious? Actually last weekend my nephew was showing me his digital compact that shows orbs of dead people on photos. Thats definitely got a superstitious lens.

But I broke it when i wiped the lens with a clean tissue. No more orbs and one very unhappy nephew.

I dropped my (cheapo) AF nikkor 80-300 in the sea while kneeling to take wide shots of the sea washing up onto the beach. I have a Lowepro zoom case and it bunched up when i knelt tipping the lens out. Probably the best thing actually. My sigma is a much better lens.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigh, dropped my nikkor 24mm ais yesterday. It was on my camera though. There's a dent on the filter ring but I don't see any damage to the lens. is it possible that the lens could have been damage even though I don't see it?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor Nguyen wrote:
sigh, dropped my nikkor 24mm ais yesterday. It was on my camera though. There's a dent on the filter ring but I don't see any damage to the lens. is it possible that the lens could have been damage even though I don't see it?

I don't think so , try it out , shake it, and if pictures come out right, no woble , strange noise. Your lens did survive well, expert can fix dent well too , it will takes again filters and will visible little. Once I did try to fix dent by my self it was a disaster Embarassed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread make me remember this news. Cool
http://www.petapixel.com/2012/10/12/polar-bear-at-a-german-zoo-gets-its-paws-on-a-canon-70-200mm-lens/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: I dropped my Hexanon 40mm f1.8 on the pavement... Reply with quote

ramcewan wrote:
and it left a dent in the pavement but the lens was fine... I suppose I am lucky but I seriously wonder if a modern lens could have taken the fall?

good thing it wasn't a tair 3 Smile that would make a hole straight to the center of the Earth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramcewan wrote:

Himself wrote:

In a word: carelessness

You forget about failure of adapter Sad