Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rollei Planar 1.4/85 - Marina di Pisa
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Rollei Planar 1.4/85 - Marina di Pisa Reply with quote

Photos taken in Marina di Pisa with the 3-blades Rollei SL version of the classic Zeiss Planar 1.4/85, mounted on the 5D Mark II:

thanks for viewing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your weather is making me really jealous! As always plenty of interest in your shots. You capture architectural details so well and the subject matter is quite stunning, but my favourite here is number 15 - when I look at it I feel I am standing on the street corner watching the world go by.

The first and last shots debunk the theory about good bokeh coming from more blades!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful series, next time aim towards the sun so we can see all those cute triangles. Smile

Is this the only lens that has three blades?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Skida and Bill!

Katastrofo wrote:

Is this the only lens that has three blades?

No, there is the 1.4/35 Distagon in Rollei version, plus both lenses (1.4/85 and 1.4/35) in Arriflex version, the Contarex version
of 1.4/85 like I wrote before, and there is also at least another lens in the Contarex line with 3 blades, but at the moment the
memory fails about which one.
The 3 blades first appeared with the Contarex version of this lens (1.4/85 Planar), because Zeiss engineers were concerned
about the functioning of the camera-body-controlled aperture of the Contarex camera with such a large iris as required by the
1.4/85 Planar with a high number of blades as (say) the standard lens 2/50 Planar.
So they created this 3-blades aperture as a workaround: simplifying the number of blades reduced the probabilities that the aperture system of the Contarex camera would fail. Rolling Eyes

If you wish to see the triangles, here's a screenshot (courtesy Marco Cavina) of the movie Taxi Driver, of course that was the
Arriflex version of the lens:

or alternatively there are my samples in the "Best of Lenses" gallery: Smile
http://forum.mflenses.com/carl-zeiss-planar-hft-1-4-85-rollei-sl-t39760,highlight,%2Bplanar+%2Brollei.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A favorite film, gawd Jodie Foster looks young, and De Niro, too.

Thanks for the info!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That link is a favorite set of yours, bookmarked it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great set of images!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superb lens, perfect colors in golden hour !

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bill, BKS and poilu.
Yes, the lens is superb, although I own the Contax version since many years now, I somehow feel that this version could be
a little different in rendering.
I am not at all the comparison kind of guy, but I may make an exception in this case and make a face to face set with the
Contax AE and MM version.
Ideally, I would also compare with the recent Z version, but I don't have it - if there is an Italian user who has it and wants to
meet one day to make a comparison set...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful set of images Orio. The triangular aperture wouldn't stop me, as it can be controlled.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting the info of Rollei Planar; great series!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all, guys!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Light fantastic ... great lens and great photographer ... Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Daniele Smile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delightful set , Orio !
I can't choose one , because I love all . I like the 85mm on city shots . Good light , good architecture, good lens/cam ,good photographer and , of course ...good public here Laughing Thanks for sharing , allways like to see your Italy images that's away from the tourist crowd rush

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastico Orio! Smile

I love those old Italian buildings and great shot with #1!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the buildings are beautiful, and had to come back to see the bike in 16, how it stands off the page. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Teo, StingOM and Bill!
Marina di Pisa is a Liberty Style little town, mostly decaying, and they have started demolition in some areas.
I have already took photos of it, I hope to have time to keep documenting it before it's too late.