Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 44-3 sharp, sharp, sharp!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Helios 44-3 sharp, sharp, sharp! Reply with quote

Hi there, this is my 4th Helios 44. Ive got 44-2, 44m-4 and 44-4. While those are all great lenses 44-3 is nothing short of amazing.

Some photos, all wide open!
My usual post processing consists of some sharpening and noise reduction (to bring some contrast) but believe me, the photos from this lens are great straight out of camera.

[/img]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renders like a dream Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, a very sharp and sweet lens! You have just boosted their value.
Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice samples.
How do you find the corner sharpness compared to the other Helioses you have?

/T

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

torbod wrote:

One thing to remember about these lenses that there's plenty of sample variance, even between lenses of the same number (and factory).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Renders like a dream Very Happy

+1 excellent!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

torbod wrote:
Very nice samples.

/T

I usually shoot wide open, unless Im shooting landscapes which I only do when there are no people around Smile, so I cant really tell, never tested it for corner sharpness.

But I can tell you that on some photos I need to reduce contrast ( I usually boost it, as I like contrasty...), thats how good this lens is.

I tested this lens against my Canon 50 1.8 II and its sharper than canon at f2. Canon picks up @ 2.8 but only by a little margin, from there its a really close call, bokeh is way better on Helios though. And Helios is tad more neutral in color reproduction, produces more real looking colors imho.

On another note my canon 50 1.8 is bit sharper on all comparable apertures than S-M-C takumar 50 1.4, but then again Takumar is better in every department except for sharpness.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice results. Your findings are very similar to mine.

On a crop-cam corner sharpness is a bit of a mute point, no?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Very nice results. Your findings are very similar to mine.

On a crop-cam corner sharpness is a bit of a mute point, no?

Yeah, especially when all the corners are out of focus lol Smile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice portraits.

Is this lens the multicoated? It looks similar to the 44-2 in the way it handles (or doesn't) flare.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna see those eyes in my dreams...yow

good focusing skills, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NothingMan wrote:
torbod wrote:
Very nice samples.

/T

I usually shoot wide open, unless Im shooting landscapes which I only do when there are no people around Smile, so I cant really tell, never tested it for corner sharpness.

But I can tell you that on some photos I need to reduce contrast ( I usually boost it, as I like contrasty...), thats how good this lens is.

I tested this lens against my Canon 50 1.8 II and its sharper than canon at f2. Canon picks up @ 2.8 but only by a little margin, from there its a really close call, bokeh is way better on Helios though. And Helios is tad more neutral in color reproduction, produces more real looking colors imho.

On another note my canon 50 1.8 is bit sharper on all comparable apertures than S-M-C takumar 50 1.4, but then again Takumar is better in every department except for sharpness.

Thanx for the feedback.

I have a vintage 44, a newer 44M4 and I have had a 44M-7 MC.
The old 44 is very sharp in the center and very dull in the edges, bokeh is stellar with the round aperture. The 44M4 is super sharp in center and somewhat soft in the corners unless stopping down. If this was a little bit better I would be very happy with it for all purposes, but now it is good for portraits, macros and such, but I don't bring it for walk around and architecture since it requires stopping down past f/4 and a tripod for best results in the corners. The 44M-7 MC was a tad better in sharpness and flare control, but the focusing ring was not very smooth, so I got rid of it. I bought it only to improve on the corner sharpness, according to data sheet, but it didn't improve enough to justify the price difference.

I'm mainly asking to see if there is any idea of searching a better version of the Helios, or if it is just a waste of time and money (even if they are relatively cheap). It would be so nice to get rid of all 50-60mm lenses in my bag and only use an under dog Helios for all purposes. I'm perfectly happy with the 44M4 for portraits and I have other tools for other tasks. So the importance is not that great, mainly a trip of LBA Smile

/T

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very sharp!
i got a version 7 and your captures force me to make some shots with mine ...

greets leo

Last edited by leo_b on Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

torbod wrote:
NothingMan wrote:
torbod wrote:
Very nice samples.

/T

Thanx for the feedback.

I have a vintage 44, a newer 44M4 and I have had a 44M-7 MC.
The old 44 is very sharp in the center and very dull in the edges, bokeh is stellar with the round aperture. The 44M4 is super sharp in center and somewhat soft in the corners unless stopping down. If this was a little bit better I would be very happy with it for all purposes, but now it is good for portraits, macros and such, but I don't bring it for walk around and architecture since it requires stopping down past f/4 and a tripod for best results in the corners. The 44M-7 MC was a tad better in sharpness and flare control, but the focusing ring was not very smooth, so I got rid of it. I bought it only to improve on the corner sharpness, according to data sheet, but it didn't improve enough to justify the price difference.

I'm mainly asking to see if there is any idea of searching a better version of the Helios, or if it is just a waste of time and money (even if they are relatively cheap). It would be so nice to get rid of all 50-60mm lenses in my bag and only use an under dog Helios for all purposes. I'm perfectly happy with the 44M4 for portraits and I have other tools for other tasks. So the importance is not that great, mainly a trip of LBA Smile

/T

No probs Smile. Im on a crop camera, so a 58 was always gonna be a portrait lens for me, its too long for anything else I shoot.

Ive read great things about this exact lens, and turns out everything is correct. Also this lens looks quite different of all other 44 lenses.

Here is my lens, It is basically in new condition:

Focus ring is big and smooth, no takumar quality though. Also, from what Ive seen it will shine with macro rings as well. Spring is coming so Ill post some macro shots as well.

If I ever test it for corner sharpness Ill let you know what I find Smile
[/img]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:
I'm gonna see those eyes in my dreams...yow

good focusing skills, that's for sure.

Thanks, Im getting pretty good with mf. So much I almost gave up on focusing screen Very Happy. Besides no one around here will install those Sad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get one but some have protruding parts at the back which prevent them being used on my DSLR. They're more pricey than the other 44s, so I've stayed away.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I would get one but some have protruding parts at the back which prevent them being used on my DSLR. They're more pricey than the other 44s, so I've stayed away.

Yeah, Ive read about that problem, however the version I have doesnt have that problem. As for price, I think they are worth it Smile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got so tempted that I got one from the Bay (Alexander photo in Ukraine). Serial number starting with 92, so quite modern.

I asked if the focusing ring was behind the mounting flange or not ( and even sent him an illustrative image) and the answer was not. So I grabbed it, and of course he was wrong Sad
I don't think he lied on purpose, rather a misunderstanding. However, I didn't feel like posting it back, so I had a look at it and had a go at removing the focusing ring. It was just to unscrew the three small screws and take it off, very simple. First, I sanded away 0.2mm by hand (very simple, but hard work), and it worked great on the DSLR-adapter alone. But when mounted to the camera the "bayonet stop rod" on the SONY hit the focusing ring, so I decided to take away more. So I took it to my job and machined away 0.5 mm from the bottom. Now it works great.
So, don't be afraid to buy the wrong version, it is very simple to fix without any risk of damaging the lens. At least my version where the focusing ring overlap was only a few 10th of a millimeter.

I'll be back with image results when I have caught something nice. First impressions are very contrasty, great sharpness (but I don't know if it beats the central sharpness of the 44M4 yet, but it looks promising at least stopped down to 2.8 ), smooth focusing, compact, beautiful design and great operation with pre set aperture Very Happy

/T

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the 44-3 of 1986 version. My helios was not so good like yours.

The 44M-7 was really better, but not than the SMC 1,4/50.

The 44-3 had the particular rendering of the 44 series (not M ones).

The portraits posted here are very nice. Very neutral colors.

Rino

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bokeh can be 'busy' and not so pleasing at times, but nevertheless Its a sharp lens...

100% CROP

[/img]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is an okay lens. I am not fully convinced though. I would love to see some more and un-touched images. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here were a few that I did: http://forum.mflenses.com/goose-gourd-helios-44-3-delta-100-xtol-pentax-es-t33837,highlight,%2Bhelios+%2B443.html

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I would like to see the gold standard for sharpness. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newton wrote:
It is an okay lens. I am not fully convinced though. I would love to see some more and un-touched images. Wink

No probs, Ill send some straight out of camera shots with crops bit later Smile

Here they are:

All photos shot under AWB, exported from RAW to JPG no sharpening whatsover. Resized to 700 px high in ps. All shots @ f2