Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mir-10A 28mm - finally cleared customs
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Mir-10A 28mm - finally cleared customs Reply with quote

For some reason my new Mir10a has been sitting in customs for two weeks, but arrived without import charges yesterday. It's a big solid feeling lens - a lot larger than I expected, in a hard leather case that also contains a set of filters. It came with both M42 and Nikon mounts, so I shall be trying it out very soon.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two copies of the MIR-10A
It's a nice lens to have. It is not sharp, I have to say before hand. It is noticeably less sharp than both the MIR-24 and the MIR-20. But it has one great feature, it can focus very very close. On the barrel, it's written 20 cm, but in my experience, for whatever reason, it is much less. This, coupled with the wide DOF of the 28mm focal lenght, allows for very peculiar pictures that I like much, with foreground objects and background landscape both in focus.

-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymore wrote:
Orio wrote:
On the barrel, it's written 20 cm, but in my experience, for whatever reason, it is much less.

Well Orio... I also thought the same thing many years ago. But I read once that those numbers are actually measured back to the film plane.

Does anyone know anything of this? Can you confirm or refute this?

That would make sense, but googling just brought up many ways to measure lenses actual focal lengths, nodal points etc. which hurt my brain on a Friday morning.

I've got the close-focus 28mm Nikkor which also is marked down to 20cm, I shall try and compare actual close focus distances between the two.

I can't get over how much bigger the Mir is to the Nikkor - around twice the size. I suspect I'll have to watch for flare with the large front element

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymore wrote:
Orio wrote:
On the barrel, it's written 20 cm, but in my experience, for whatever reason, it is much less.

Well Orio... I also thought the same thing many years ago. But I read once that those numbers are actually measured back to the film plane.

Does anyone know anything of this? Can you confirm or refute this?

That is correct. Many, especially non-SLR cameras do have the film plane marked outside the body (a circle with a crossing line parallel to the film plane) so that it is possible to measure the focusing distance exactly for e.g. macro work. You can easily check this with an SLR and an MF lens: focus on some nearby object and compare the distance scale reading with a measurement. However, these days it is quite usual to see closest focusing distances for digicams indicated as measured from the front element in order to be able to state extremely impressive values like 1 cm -- for advertising purposes.

Veijo