Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Some shots from last night's camping trip
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Some shots from last night's camping trip Reply with quote

Stayed overnight at the highest camp site on Mount Diablo. I got a pretty good campsite (they're first-come-first-served) and had decent views of the Bay Area. One of my goals was to try star trails again. Here are the digital results. The film results won't be processed for a while.

Stars and planes landing at SFO. Captures over a 36-minute span, this image features somewhere between 8 and 12 planes coming into land along a few different routes.

Honestly, better for star trails than the previous, but much less interesting to look at.

Campfires -- mine and the modern-day campfires known as street lamps.

Sunset panorama near the camp site.

From the summit (not my campsite, unfortunately)

Sunset at the campsite.

Sunrise as I made coffee. I could not wait for this to come over the night. I had to put my gear away early and pare down to one camera because raccoons kept invading the camp site. At first, they wanted my dinner. One brazen one stuck his paw in my dinner bowl as I set up a camera for the next shot -- two feet away. When they began showing interest in the camera gear, I decided to go down to just the K-7 since I could watch it closely.

For all these shots, I used my Pentax K-7 and Takumar 50mm 1:1.4 lens. This is a pretty great combination, though the Tak did not like the long-duration images wide open. Stopped down to f8, it was very sharp for long exposures. Wide open, this lens is slightly soft was tends to be the case with this lens. I felt that for the 6-second and 30-second exposures, the Tak was slightly softer than normal when shot wide-open. Mostly I was shooting wide open for this to prevent the area's light pollution from drowning out the stars. THe stopped-down images, even over time, are plenty sharp with softness coming from wind movement.[img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great series david. I'd love to see the racoon Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, great series. Cool

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful landscape.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, one can really feel the outdoor adventure here, great series!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the sunset.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great landscapes there, I am especially captured by the last one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really enjoyed them, esp 6. these night shots are not easy to pull off, so bravo to you.
tony

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, everyone. It was a fun night and I'm hoping for similar luck when I got camping in Big Sur (https://maps.google.com/?ll=35.96592,-121.486645&spn=0.116012,0.222988&t=h&z=13) next month. Car light trails, star trails, and more, I'm sure!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great series and a stunning place for camped Shocked !