Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Second attempt at DIY colour - Fujichrome 100/1000 in C-41
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Second attempt at DIY colour - Fujichrome 100/1000 in C-41 Reply with quote

I bought a room temp C-41 kit from Firstcall Photographic. It's rubbish, gives very poor results. This was a roll of Fujichrome 100/1000 I cross processed in it. Kiev II, Sonnar 1.5/50 (1938 uncoated), in the last light before sunset. Some of these have a wonderful vintage look due to the colours and the rendering of the Sonnar, but the quality is sadly lacking.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often read art photography magazines. There are hundreds of "art photographers" who spend months on Photoshop
post-processing their digital photos to look like that.
If they only knew Laughing
In any case I really like the results here. They may be unwanted, but they look truly unique.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can open a class for film processing to achieve these results Laughing
But no joke , I love especially the no. 2 image
Obviously something doesn't works in your workflow , but I can't say what , because I don't know Laughing You'll figure out , in the end , and then you'll tell us ! do you use a manual developping tank ?
Those white spots probably say that somewhere the rinsing is not enough ?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are extremely interesting photographs and the processing is a good portion of the interest. Well done, I look forward to more

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys. Definitely a unique aesthetic to this series, I like the muted colours and vintage feel, glad others do too. Smile

I waited until just before sunset to shoot this series, I like the light at that time, warm, soft, low angle so dramatic shadows. The old Sonnar really has a special vintage look on film, so I figured the sunset lighting and the character of the lens might combine to make some interesting colours.

This is the kit I used:

http://www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk/products/4402/firstcall-c41-prediluted-kit-3x-385ml-softpack

The idea is you can use different times/temperatures unlike normal C41. I used it at 20C (room temp) which meant 21mins in the developer, 10 in the bleach and 10 in the fixer. I washed the tank out with tap water between each step.

Not sure why there were so many white spots, some frames were absolutely covered in them (I had to clone stamp them away); some frames had hardly any.

The colours were actually fairly accurate, a bit of a magenta cast but I tried to remove that. There is a bit of a magenta strip down the left edge of most of the frames, not sure why.