Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kiron 24/2 alternative?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Kiron 24/2 alternative? Reply with quote

Guys,

since ages I am trying to get a Kiron 24/2 (in C/Y mount - anything else that is adaptable to EOS would do, too) but until now no luck Mad .

Is there any valid alternative with
- good IQ
- <= 24mm focal length
- f2 or better

?

(And, is there maybe someone out there who would swap it with my Viv S1 (Komine) 28-90mm 1:2.8-3.5 Wink ?)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zuiko 2/24. Not cheap but very good.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm ... there's currently one on eBay with some dust imbetween ...

Bargain or not - that's the question => Click here to see on Ebay.de

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt60 wrote:
Hmm ... there's currently one on eBay with some dust imbetween ...

Bargain or not - that's the question => Click here to see on Ebay.de

If it is really only dust, it's a great price.
Seller has only one feedback... hmmm...risky?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good price for a great lens!

Klaus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first feedback was a OM lens, too - and the buyer seems to have been happy ...

Challenges, challenges Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any recommendation regarding the best OM/EF adapter?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt60 wrote:
Any recommendation regarding the best OM/EF adapter?

The cheap China adaptor works well with my OM lenses. You can go for the Kipon OM->EF adapter if you want a black adaptor which have minimal light reflection.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have Vivitar 24/2 in OM mount. That's probably Kiron-made lens, but I am not sure. Quality is superb. Did you search for the Viv?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Vivitar-Kiron 24/2 in PK mount o a couple months ago on eBay USA for US$130. Actually the seller had it priced at US$150 as BIN but when it didn't sell, I made an offer and he accepted. It's now one of my very few carry-it-at-all-times lenses. And it was my second copy -- the first cost US$110 a couple years ago but was falling apart, and the seller disappeared. Grrrr...

I haven't tried the Olympus. I'm sure it's a superlative lens. But I can't afford it. I recall seeing Nikkor 24/2's listed also, but way beyond my budget. I'd say, if you can't find a Kiron, then grab the Oly.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont't think you can use it, but nFD 24 f/2 considered best lens in entire FD series by some, very late, light, super coatings.

Can sometimes be found for 250

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One stop slower, but the cheap Ensinor 24mm F2.8 Macro is superb. It's also sold under the Clubman name.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Kiron 24/2 alternative? Reply with quote

Cobalt60 wrote:
Guys,

since ages I am trying to get a Kiron 24/2 (in C/Y mount - anything else that is adaptable to EOS would do, too) but until now no luck Mad .

Is there any valid alternative with
- good IQ
- <= 24mm focal length
- f2 or better

Well, it's a bit slower at f/2.5 wide open, but I really like my Tamron adaptall-2 24mm f/2.5. Good thing about it is, it can be used on both C/Y and EOS without problems. Also, it can often be found on eBay for reasonable prices. eBay UK has a few priced a lot better than eBay US right now.

I did a head-to-head comparison between my Tamron and my Nikkor 24/2.8 and they were virtually identical in performance.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@axer: "... but I am not sure."
It it's serial number starts with 22* then it is Kiron made Smile.

Thanks for all your ideas, guys! I searched for a Nikkor, too but those seem to be extremely rare.

The 2.5 lens is not a real option as I need the f2 (this leans is meant to be used on concerts - each 0.1 is counting ...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be a bit of a travesty to recommend a lens with AF in here, but I don't mind my Sigma 24/1.8. Its also a 1:2.7 quasi macro lens. The manual feel isn't very good and the front lens group wobbles, but it's quite sharp. Of course, you can get Sigma in an array of mounts.

K.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly had a look at that Sigma, too - but it usually sells >> 300€

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt60 wrote:
@axer: "... but I am not sure."
It it's serial number starts with 22* then it is Kiron made Smile.

Thanks, I knew that, but I can't check the serial number, as the lens is being CLA'd at the moment Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one in Pentax K mount -- you can use it on your EOS with an adapter:

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really need F2 ? If not there is plenty of other excellent and reasonable priced choices like Nikon 24mm f2.8 AIS , Yashica ML 24mm etc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Attila: the lens will be used for concert photography ... there 1 full stop is "worlds" (of course the lens has to be usable at f2 or 2.3 ...)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Michael: thanks for the link Cool

I guess I will wait about the development of the Zuiko 24/2 lens ... fortunately it´s still 6 weeks until I "really" need the lens

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this case best what you can get Zuiko in my opinion too or a camera with better ISO or Noisy Ninja Plugin Wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda forgot how nice this Kiron 24mm f/2 glass is. I've been using it quite a bit lately. Smile

Russ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems that it's hard to find a 24/2 that's cheap now. I have a Kiron made Vivitar 24/2 that's refurbished/repaired by a camera shop and to my surprise, it's great to work with and I use it quite often as a 36mm f/2 point and shoot for my NEX. The IQ is not like superbly or exceptionally great but haven't let me down.

The bad part is that the Kiron made version is said to have some common problems such as oil and stuck aperture, hence a few are repaired like mine. There is also a Komine version (serial starts with 28 ) that doesn't have any of the problems above (at least I haven't heard of on the net) and has better IQ imo. Here's an old thread about this lens:

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=12001

However, the Komine version is harder to find than the Kiron and is often more expensive. And looks like even the Kiron version's price has risen. Now even the 24/2.8 is almost the price I paid for my 24/2. There is an RL edition too but expensive lol (also komine made).

As others have said, there are a lot more to choose from if a 2.5 or 2.8 is fine for you. And a lot cheaper too. But if you really need the f2.0 then the vivitar one seems closest to what you need and is relatively cheap compared to OM, Nikon, and Canon. Or if you are actually flexible with the focal length you can also consider a 28/2 too.

ps. there's one kiron version with OM mount for bidding right now on ebay. If you are lucky you can get it cheap. But seems the seller only ships to US.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruzzo wrote:
Seems that it's hard to find a 24/2 that's cheap now. I have a Kiron made Vivitar 24/2 that's refurbished/repaired by a camera shop and to my surprise, it's great to work with and I use it quite often as a 36mm f/2 point and shoot for my NEX. The IQ is not like superbly or exceptionally great but haven't let me down.

The bad part is that the Kiron made version is said to have some common problems such as oil and stuck aperture, hence a few are repaired like mine. There is also a Komine version (serial starts with 28 ) that doesn't have any of the problems above (at least I haven't heard of on the net) and has better IQ imo. Here's an old thread about this lens:

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=12001

However, the Komine version is harder to find than the Kiron and is often more expensive. And looks like even the Kiron version's price has risen. Now even the 24/2.8 is almost the price I paid for my 24/2. There is an RL edition too but expensive lol (also komine made).

As others have said, there are a lot more to choose from if a 2.5 or 2.8 is fine for you. And a lot cheaper too. But if you really need the f2.0 then the vivitar one seems closest to what you need and is relatively cheap compared to OM, Nikon, and Canon. Or if you are actually flexible with the focal length you can also consider a 28/2 too.

ps. there's one kiron version with OM mount for bidding right now on ebay. If you are lucky you can get it cheap. But seems the seller only ships to US.

Bruzzo

I have the Kiron 24mm and 28mm f/2 lenses in mint condition. I just haven't used them much until now. I discovered last night, that my Sigma 28 f/2.8 "mini-wide" is heavily fogged. So I guess I won't be using it anymore. Are there any reviews on the Sigma version anywhere? Mine is the first edition. There is a version II too. Awhile back, those wide angle Kiron's were much cheaper. What are they going for now?

Thanks
Russ