Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kiron 24/2 alternative?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ wrote:
bruzzo wrote:
Seems that it's hard to find a 24/2 that's cheap now. I have a Kiron made Vivitar 24/2 that's refurbished/repaired by a camera shop and to my surprise, it's great to work with and I use it quite often as a 36mm f/2 point and shoot for my NEX. The IQ is not like superbly or exceptionally great but haven't let me down.

The bad part is that the Kiron made version is said to have some common problems such as oil and stuck aperture, hence a few are repaired like mine. There is also a Komine version (serial starts with 28 ) that doesn't have any of the problems above (at least I haven't heard of on the net) and has better IQ imo. Here's an old thread about this lens:

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=12001

However, the Komine version is harder to find than the Kiron and is often more expensive. And looks like even the Kiron version's price has risen. Now even the 24/2.8 is almost the price I paid for my 24/2. There is an RL edition too but expensive lol (also komine made).

As others have said, there are a lot more to choose from if a 2.5 or 2.8 is fine for you. And a lot cheaper too. But if you really need the f2.0 then the vivitar one seems closest to what you need and is relatively cheap compared to OM, Nikon, and Canon. Or if you are actually flexible with the focal length you can also consider a 28/2 too.

ps. there's one kiron version with OM mount for bidding right now on ebay. If you are lucky you can get it cheap. But seems the seller only ships to US.

Bruzzo

I have the Kiron 24mm and 28mm f/2 lenses in mint condition. I just haven't used them much until now. I discovered last night, that my Sigma 28 f/2.8 "mini-wide" is heavily fogged. So I guess I won't be using it anymore. Are there any reviews on the Sigma version anywhere? Mine is the first edition. There is a version II too. Awhile back, those wide angle Kiron's were much cheaper. What are they going for now?

Thanks
Russ

Hi Russ, I don't know much about the Sigma mini-wide but I'm sure many others here have more knowledge on this lens.
As for the Vivitar Kiron 24/2 and 28/2, the buy it now prices on ebay are crazy high like over $300 and I doubt that they will sell but who knows. But you might get a higher price if you ship internationally cause I saw a M42 24/2 sold for $170 shipping not included. For US shipping only, it's more random, I saw a pentax mount 24/2 sold for $85. But I saw a Nikon mount for $140-ish and Canon $130-ish. Guess Canon/Nikon mount goes higher? Should have similar trend for the 28/2. Hope this helps Smile.