Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

It's not a close up filter but ....
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: It's not a close up filter but .... Reply with quote

a far, far away filter that I need

I'm hoping there are optics gurus that can help Smile

I have an old projection lens which, because of mechnical restraints I can only get to focus up to 5 metre.

I think I need a negative achromat to focus further maybe infinity. The achromat will have to be mounted on the lens front.

If this is right, what diopter do I need?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried to take a close-up lens and reverse it?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

When you reverse a close up lens it stays a positive lens, but mounted less good.

Cose up lenses are positive (convex) so you need a negative lens (concave).
Might be you find something usefull when you take an old stuck lens apart?
Easier in most cases is to shorten the barrel or the mount a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Oops, that does not work Sad

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Orio wrote:

When you reverse a close up lens it stays a positive lens, but mounted less good.

Cose up lenses are positive (convex) so you need a negative lens (concave).
Might be you find something usefull when you take an old stuck lens apart?
Easier in most cases is to shorten the barrel or the mount a bit.

There is some cheap stuff @Surplus shed 80mm diameter, but I need to know what to order, for example there is a negative meniscus coated FL -91mm for $4

I think I need an achromat but a negative meniscus might be OK (but CA might be bad), its like my lens is short sighted and needs glasses Smile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried putting the projector lens away and mounting a good camera lens? Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have an old projection lens which, because of mechnical restraints I can only get to focus up to 5 metre.

What camera body?
What adapter?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you'd need something with a (negative) focal length shorter than 5 meters, but not too short. I see that Edmund Optics has negative achromats of -150mm focal length and shorter. These might be too short.

Maybe the negative lens from a Canon R/FD/FL to EOS adapter, which adds about 2 mm of back focus? There are also barlow lenses for telescopes, but I have no idea what their (negative) focal length is. Maybe old eyeglasses (-0.75 diopter, for example)?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes thats right.

After some study I learned that a -0.5 D will form a virtual image from infinity to just 2 metres, which I can focus upon.