Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kiev-II, Jupiter-8, Kodak Vision2 100T, Fomadon LQR
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Kiev-II, Jupiter-8, Kodak Vision2 100T, Fomadon LQR Reply with quote

I have found that this film/dev combo works brilliantly in cloudy, overcast conditions,

This is a 1957 red P J8, better than the 1970s J-8M I also have.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice series overall, first one is especially good!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the weather is anything like here you are achieving great results ian, you've got me thinking about the russian setup Wink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like these results, the tones look more natural to me than other rolls that you have post-processed.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attila, I like the first one too. That was shot at 7.45am and it was still pretty dark, but it worked okay, I think that one was at f2.8, all the rest are at no wider than f4, although the one of the litter bin might be f2.8.

Ger, you should look at Russian kit for sure, I can't recommend the Kiev highly enough, unless you're going to invest a lot in a Leica M series, a Zeiss Ikon or a Konica Hexar then you won't find a better rangefinder camera, even then, mine goes everywhere with me in my jacket pocket. Feds and Zorkis are good too, but the Kiev is better by a good margin.

The lenses are no-brainers, the J12, J8, J9 and J11 are all must haves imho, for the price. A good early one is very close indeed to the Zeiss originals.

Cheers Orio, I am working out the best methodology for this Kodak film now, taken many rolls to get there though.

My conclusion:

Good light - use Fomadon LQN, LQR gives too harsh results
Overcast but still okay light - LQR works perfectly (like this series)
Bad light - use LQR, but will need to post process images.

So I will use LQN for whenever the light is at least okay, LQR for cloudy or darker.

I forgot to say, I did almost no PP on these shots, just some slight tweaking of contrast and brightness. I find I have to PP things if the light was bad, if it was okay, I don't. I much prefer not to PP, keep the more natural feeling.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice results, reminds me of Fomapan 200.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Bill. Goal now is to obtain nice natural tonality like this in all light conditions.