Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Farm stuff. Arista 400 D-76
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Farm stuff. Arista 400 D-76 Reply with quote

Contax 139Q, Distagon 35/2.8.

Where are all the midtones?

edit: no not the midtones but there is definitely something wrong with tonality?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landscape is very contrasted. If you measured light of sky and ground you'd have seen a huge gap.
If the whole roll was shot in this condition, you could have remedied by either using a compensating developer
(such as Ornano Fino S31) or by reducing the number and frequency of agitations, or by doing a stand development.

P.S. #1 looks ok to me. You can print that one easily.

P.P.S. what Arista film was it, the student film or the better one?
If you search the galleries you will find a roll of Arista 400 (best type) that I developed using Ornano Gradual ST 20 with fantastic (for me at least) results.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically it's impossible to get the sky and the ground in balance without filters?

Arista Premium 400.

edit: I think I also underdeveloped it (=8 minutes). D-76 sheet I should develop Tri-X Pan for 11 minutes at 18 C. Shocked

Last edited by kansalliskala on Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Basically it's impossible to get the sky and the ground in balance without filters?

Arista Premium 400

With such high contrast, you need to either use a graduated ND filter, or, you should take an average reading and compensate
using the development techniques that I mentioned above.
Correct technique would be to measure the highlight and the shadow and then expose for ( = place Zone 5 i.e. 18% gray) in a position of the image
where it's hopefully not too distant from either the hghihgt or the shadow

One must keep in mind that BW negative is not the final step for an image, only the intermediate step, exactly as when you photograph
on DSLR, you try to keep most of image inside histogram, this does not mean that it's the final reasult aesthetically speaking, it only means that you optimize the capture,
reserving aesthetical choices for RAW processing (or for analog printing for BW).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple tip for BW films: measure exposure according to shadows, develop according to lights

in these pictures, I think you exposed accordingly to sky thus you have huge underexposure of other areas. so the sky appers as medium gray in the result. Arista Premium400 is rebadged Kodak Tri-X which is quite contrasty film, so advice for compensating developer is good. but those conditions does not seem too contrasty - if it was at sunny day, the contrast will be much higher.

kansalliskala wrote:
not necessary, if you expose and develop correctly. but in some situations (like bright sunlight and snowy landscape) it is much better to use ND grad
kansalliskala wrote:
I think I also underdeveloped it (=8 minutes). D-76 sheet I should develop Tri-X Pan for 11 minutes at 18 C. Shocked
8 minutes in stock is OK I think. or did you diluted the developer?